Vegan shoes for riding?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/20/2017 7:11 PM

I've had a few different pairs of canvas shoes, but they shred so fast. I'd like something with ankle support too. Curious if anyone else out there is vegan and rides, and if so what shoes do you ride in?

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

3/20/2017 7:19 PM

Damn dude..... only vegan shoe brand I know was called Sheep, and that was mid 90s.

I can only help you with this http://veganskateblog.com/category/shoes

|

3/20/2017 7:31 PM

thairishguy wrote:

Damn dude..... only vegan shoe brand I know was called Sheep, and that was mid 90s.

I can only help you with this http://veganskateblog.com/category/shoes

I've done some digging around on there before. It seems that in the past several years no one has released unabashedly vegan skate shoes. I've heard good stuff about the Servant Dagon, but they are low-tops, and I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be riding around with crosses on my shoes haha.

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

3/21/2017 1:47 AM

Vans make some, I'm sure of it. The old Geoff Rowley's were vegan friendly.
Orchid had a vegan friendly pair too

|

3/24/2017 3:40 AM

Found out last night my etnies jameson eco 2 are vegan friendly. They've lasted pretty well. I've had them about a year but they're pretty trashed now

|

3/24/2017 5:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Found out last night my etnies jameson eco 2 are vegan friendly. They've lasted pretty well. I've had them about a year but they're pretty trashed now

Hmmm now that you mention it SoleTech has a few vegan models and collections. Emerica and Etnies.

|

3/25/2017 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2017 10:01 AM

Anything that's not leather is vegan right? I bet at least 50 percent of all shoes are vegan. The old rowleys were vegan, and also the best shoe ever made. They weren't even advertised as vegan, but that was back in 99 lol. Vans has quite a few though. And the nice thing about riding bikes is leather isn't as important as it is on a skateboard.

|

3/25/2017 12:01 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Anything that's not leather is vegan right? I bet at least 50 percent of all shoes are vegan. The old rowleys were vegan, and also the best shoe ever made. They weren't even advertised as vegan, but that was back in 99 lol. Vans has quite a few though. And the nice thing about riding bikes is leather isn't as important as it is on a skateboard.

No leather and no suede. Suede seems to be the killer. I know a lot of shoes are vegan, but most of them are just canvas, offering no support and little longevity. I found some DC's that I might snag, Evan Smith signatures.

|

3/25/2017 12:56 PM

Actually, the glue they use quite often contains stuff from animals. So true vegan friendly shoes aren't all that common (unless things have changed, which they could've done, I haven't really looked into it for about 14 years)

|

3/25/2017 1:45 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Actually, the glue they use quite often contains stuff from animals. So true vegan friendly shoes aren't all that common (unless things have changed, which they could've done, I haven't really looked into it for about 14 years)

I've heard differing voices on this. I've been told that the industry has changed quite a bit and shifted to cheaper synthetic glues, but I've also heard that animal based adhesives are a holdover in a dynamic industry. My course of action has been to look for pro-rider/skater edition shoes that are vegan and the company claims the shoes are vegan, or I shop at online stores that are vegan specific. The latter of the two typically have designer/casual shoes that don't hold up that well to riding. It can be a headache compared to when I used to just go to the Van's outlet and find anything that fit.

|

3/25/2017 2:13 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Tell me about it. One session and RIP eras.

|

3/25/2017 3:37 PM

If you can still find some, Habitat made vegan shoes. They were super comfy and last quite a while too.

|

3/25/2017 3:47 PM

I thought 95% of suede skate shoes are synthetic? I've purchased many shoes that say "suede" on the box, but then the tag in the shoe say's "synthetic". Honestly never new vegan shoe's where a thing. Learned something.

|

3/25/2017 3:59 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Sorry, just to add to this, Geoff Rowley was vegan, that's why his shoes were vegan friendly. Just like the Emerica ed Templeton's (I had 3 pairs of them, and a pair of his sheep shoes), etnies roscoe (taj's signature shoe) were vegan too. I think the only shoes that were intentionally vegan friendly back then were signature shoes of the riders/skaters that were vegan

|

3/25/2017 5:42 PM

Suede and leather are actually the same thing, just different sides. Just flip it over. Take your pick.

|

3/25/2017 6:48 PM

here you go along with the rest of the vegan fruits http://macbeth.com/us/

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

3/25/2017 6:56 PM

JonnyGanja wrote:

here you go along with the rest of the vegan fruits http://macbeth.com/us/

I rode a pair of Macbeth James shoes for a while, but canvas started ripping on me and the soles are worn smooth off.

|

3/26/2017 1:49 AM

Never knew about vegan shoes until now .

In my opinion it's pretty fucking useless , like someone took time out of their life to design a shoe just as vegan for it appeal to vegans .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/26/2017 3:45 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Never knew about vegan shoes until now .

In my opinion it's pretty fucking useless , like someone took time out of their life to design a shoe just as vegan for it appeal to vegans .

It's not useless for vegans though, or people that think more ethically about what they buy/wear. I've now had at least 6 pairs of vegan friendly shoes that have lasted just as long as any other shoe. They don't cost any more, so why does it matter? If someone chooses to be vegan, they're not going to want to wear non vegan clothes as it's a complete contradiction of what they believe (which is why I've never understood vegetarians)

|