(Very) Quick wheel question

Related:
Create New Tag

2/28/2014 8:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2014 8:54 PM

edit: Ok now the question is: I have a good rim+spokes, so should I spend less money to get the demolition wheel set or spend more money and get a really good hub?

|

i ride for fun

2/28/2014 8:38 PM

Your tire is 2.25. All freestyle rims are 1.75 (most actually). No change of tire

|

2/28/2014 8:39 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Your tire is 2.25. All freestyle rims are 1.75 (most actually). No change of tire

Thats what I thought, thanks for confirming. Do you think I should buy a whole new wheel or just get a better hub?

|

i ride for fun

2/28/2014 8:40 PM

Your current rim is 2.25? For some reason I doubt that.

But to answer your question, tire and rim widths dont matter aslong as their both 20x#.## then they will work together.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/28/2014 8:41 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

PerfectSum wrote:

Thats what I thought, thanks for confirming. Do you think I should buy a whole new wheel or just get a better hub?

What kind of rim do you have? And before making a decision, wait until a couple more people respond.

|

2/28/2014 8:43 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

PerfectSum wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

What kind of rim do you have? And before making a decision, wait until a couple more people respond.

Btw that's a really good wheel from what I hear.

|

2/28/2014 8:50 PM

PerfectSum wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

Btw that's a really good wheel from what I hear.

Yeah thats why I want it. The profile is hardly a better hub (in terms of # of pawls, same bearings, etc), and it is 30 bucks more without spokes and a rim. My spokes+rim are in good condition, so i really do not know if i need to get the demolition wheel even though i heard it was really good

|

i ride for fun

2/28/2014 8:51 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Your current rim is 2.25? For some reason I doubt that.

But to answer your question, tire and rim widths dont matter aslong as their both 20x#.## then they will work together.

Yeah i feel dumb about that now, i had no idea why i didnt know almost all rims came in 20x1.75". Thanks!

|

i ride for fun

2/28/2014 9:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2014 9:11 PM

For the record, profiles really aren't worth the cash. You can get a Cult Match for $70 cheaper which uses virtually the same driver, same bearings, and a better axle.

Danscomp has Alienation Runaway SS edition rims on sale for $45 which are amazing rims. As good if not better than a Gsport Rollcage (made of higher quality aluminum, uses same cross lace pattern.) One of these laced to a Gsport Ratchet (also on sale, $125) would be indestructible. This would come out to roughly $180 with spokes.

Or, if your wallet is really hurtin, the Poverty WT-48 wheel on Danscomp is on sale for $110. This wheel includes a 4pawl Joytech hub (basically same as an Odyssey Hazard hub, except with a better 4pawl engagement) laced with 48spokes to an Alienation Delinquent aftermarket rim. The Delinquent is also a very high quality rim which retails at $65.

These are the best wheels in their price range and are worth every penny.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/28/2014 11:16 PM

If your spokes and rims are fine dont change them. Id get a hub, whats your budget? You might have to change the spokes because of the lenght. What rim and hub do you have currently?

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/1/2014 8:15 AM

T-rider wrote:

If your spokes and rims are fine dont change them. Id get a hub, whats your budget? You might have to change the spokes because of the lenght. What rim and hub do you have currently?

I dont really have a budget, im just going to work a while and save up. I have been leaning towards just a new hub from all these other responses

|

i ride for fun

3/1/2014 8:16 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

For the record, profiles really aren't worth the cash. You can get a Cult Match for $70 cheaper which uses virtually the same driver, same bearings, and a better axle.

Danscomp has Alienation Runaway SS edition rims on sale for $45 which are amazing rims. As good if not better than a Gsport Rollcage (made of higher quality aluminum, uses same cross lace pattern.) One of these laced to a Gsport Ratchet (also on sale, $125) would be indestructible. This would come out to roughly $180 with spokes.

Or, if your wallet is really hurtin, the Poverty WT-48 wheel on Danscomp is on sale for $110. This wheel includes a 4pawl Joytech hub (basically same as an Odyssey Hazard hub, except with a better 4pawl engagement) laced with 48spokes to an Alienation Delinquent aftermarket rim. The Delinquent is also a very high quality rim which retails at $65.

I think im leaning towards just a hub. I have heard profiles are overpriced, but they have a good warranty system. I have been looking at the cult match, it looks really good. I kind of want a red hub though

|

i ride for fun

3/1/2014 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2014 9:00 AM

Profiles are not over priced. They are made in the USA and are more expensive to produce VS. products that are made in Taiwan like the Cult Match.

If Profile outsourced all of their work they would likely be able to sell them for less but they prefer to make things themselves to control quality and keep jobs local.

So yes, Profile's are more expensive, but not overpriced.

Regarding the wheel, another thing to know is that a quality hand built wheel by a good wheel builder is always going to be stronger than a stock wheel that was laced by a machine.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

3/1/2014 9:22 AM

transition_chris wrote:

Profiles are not over priced. They are made in the USA and are more expensive to produce VS. products that are made in Taiwan like the Cult Match.

If Profile outsourced all of their work they would likely be able to sell them for less but they prefer to make things themselves to control quality and keep jobs local.

Regarding the wheel, another thing to know is that a quality hand built wheel by a good wheel builder is always going to be stronger than a stock wheel that was laced by a machine.

$70 more for virtually the same thing. Not to mention the human eye cant detect the microscopic defects of things, where a machine would see it and send it back to machining to be fixed. I know so many people with defective profile hubs simply because they overlooked the smallest mistake, such as a center axle being maybe just a .5mm too long.
I would rather have a hub that is practically guaranteed by some of the finest machinery to not have factory defects (a few of them will always slip through) than a hub that was looked over by a few dudes in a factory and then given the thumbs up.
Not to mention you get STRONGER for CHEAPER. Its a no brainer.

|

3/1/2014 9:28 AM

transition_chris wrote:

I'm not saying that there is no advantage of them being US made, but just because they're not overpriced doesn't mean that they are worth the money.

|

3/1/2014 9:28 AM

I guess you wont have problem to save for a bsd back street hub. Good hub for the prize, gsport ratchet is also good, and the cult match is too.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/1/2014 9:32 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

PerfectSum wrote:

I think im leaning towards just a hub. I have heard profiles are overpriced, but they have a good warranty system. I have been looking at the cult match, it looks really good. I kind of want a red hub though

What rim do you have? You may aswell just upgrade now while things are on sale. The Poverty WT-48 complete wheel is on sale for the price of just a hub, so you may aswell upgrade your entire wheel for that price.

|

3/1/2014 9:38 AM

you can get a ratchet from ebay for like $99 then just buy spokes then bam.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/1/2014 3:20 PM

Get bsd hubs they are light and super reliable. I know people that used to break hubs on a monthly basis but these stopped the cycle

|