Viral BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2020 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2020 9:48 AM

I am sure you all have noticed changes in your environment due to the virus. Im sure you have tried going to a resturant or store only to find out they are closed. Even some internet based stores are closed since humans run the damn things.

I recently had surgery and also experienced post-surgery complications. I ended up needing medications and advice. I was not able to go to my family doctor. The most they would do for me is consult me over the phone. They were not able to do any tests or even stay on the phone long due to the insane volume of people that were calling for help.

When I got my medications, I had to wait 2 days for the prescription to be filled since so many others needed meds in anticipation for quarantine. CO. Just announced a full lock down for all non-essential businesses and ordered all residents to stay home unless absolutely necessary.

I found out from a co-worker that was going in for a shoulder surgery, he was denied because it was not a life-threatening condition. I got my surgery right before the cutoff point apparently. When you are seriously injured, your immune system is comprimised and you are more likely to get sick. Even if you dont get sick with the corona virus and its something else, guess what will be even easier to get on top of whatever sickness you do have?...

My work at USPS is considered "essential", I understand but I would really prefer not to have to work at this time. We have multiple confirmed cases near us within the USPS system and as a result, half the employees have walked out for their own safety.

My point in all this, hospitals will continue to get over-burdened as time goes on with this horrible virus. The more filled hospitals get, the longer it will take for you to get seen (if at all) if you get hurt. Not only would you be taking up a precious spot for someone that has been infected, you will literally be jumping into a pool (or bowl if you will) of the virus as many patients around you will be infected and possibly infectious. Who knows how crazy this will get. For all we know, people might get turned away for broken legs and other serious, life-changing injuries and have to fend for themselves. This could potentially lead to disfigurement or the loss of a limb if left untreated.

I cant predict the future but with how uncertain things are right now, it might be smart to avoid things that increase chances of injury. Unfortunately, we all know how risky riding is and how quickly your life can be altered by a small mistake or freak accident. Im not one to give up on something because of injury but I think given the current circumstances, it might be for the best until this all clears.

I recently stated I would be riding right now if given the chance and my shoulder wasnt fucked but I have changed my stance on this topic and I wanted to share my thoughts with you all. No judgement for those of you continuing to ride but I will be worried about you.

Will you ride regardless of how crazy things get?

View Results

|

3/26/2020 10:35 AM

Lol

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

3/26/2020 10:56 AM

Everyone's losing the plot over this. My sister had the virus and is just today finished her quarantine. For her and most people in relatively good health, it's very similar to a cold. If you're not in old age and don't have a pre-existing condition, such as asthma, it's probably not going to hit you very hard. The main reason for the social distancing is to avoid spreading it to people in those categories and indirectly killing them but if you're just out riding by yourself, you're very unlikely to get it or spread it any further than your own house.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/26/2020 11:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2020 11:10 AM

people riding their own private spots are fine but clowns not listening going out riding are just going to prolong this isolation situation and keep people off work longer , doesn’t matter to me though , I work in a hospital no days off here

|

3/26/2020 11:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2020 12:51 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Everyone's losing the plot over this. My sister had the virus and is just today finished her quarantine. For her and most people in relatively good health, it's very similar to a cold. If you're not in old age and don't have a pre-existing condition, such as asthma, it's probably not going to hit you very hard. The main reason for the social distancing is to avoid spreading it to people in those categories and indirectly killing them but if you're just out riding by yourself, you're very unlikely to get it or spread it any further than your own house.

My point is getting injured when the whole country is closed down might be a problem. Like if you get hurt it might get to a point where there wont be enough help at a hospital to tend to your wounds. Injuries are money to a hospital, valuable income, surgery is GOOD money for hospitals. I find it alarming a buisness that is lacking funding in the first place, is turning away customers (injured folk).

|

3/26/2020 12:28 PM

^ That's a solid point, and one I never thought of.

I've just been riding around my neighborhood road in front of my house since parks are closed, but the fact that anything can happen in an instant when riding, and the fact that pretty serious injuries are now categorized as non-life threatening and left untreated, that raises the stakes for riding for sure.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/26/2020 12:36 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

My point is getting injured when the whole country is closed down might be a problem. Like if you get hurt it might get to a point where there wont be enough help at a hospital to tend to your wounds. Injuries are money to a hospital, valuable income, surgery is GOOD money for hospitals. I find it alarming a buisness that is lacking funding in the first place, is turning away customers (injured folk).

Yeah this. You might not get treated or you might take resources away from people who need it.

I'll have more time to ride once the shut down comes to my state which I am sure it will. I'll probably not being trying new things (well maybe basic flatland idk) but trying to get better at basics (bigger bunny hops, better manuals, etc). Things I am much less likely to get seriously hurt on.

|

3/26/2020 4:13 PM

I ride wuhan skatepark every day stupid fucking liberal propaganda isnt gonna stop me

|

13 years old

3/26/2020 6:11 PM

Great post, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm itching to hit a skatepark, or ride some streets, after seeing posts of people shredding empty parks and killing it in the empty streets. So far rain has kept me home more so than the local quarantine.

I've only been to a hospital for a riding injury once in 30 years - bumps and bruises are part of the fun. I might not be as aggressive as I used to be, but I still trust myself to react first and ask questions later, maybe bounce a bit and then walk it off. But the point of the quarantine isn't that YOU might get sick and die. If you're healthy, you'll probably shake it off, congratulations. Our healthcare system is already reaching capacity in some states, including here in IL. It's not just about the people with COVID, but other needs are already going untreated to make room for COVID patients. The scale and spread is truly unprecedented.

If someone doesn't have the common decency to see past their own nose and see the threat posed to other people, then fuck off. Keep your useless opinion to yourself. For me, if I'm not stuck in a meeting for work (work from home quickly turned into 8 hours of web meetings), I'll be spinning flat in front of the house, or playing games with my kids. I might hit a park when things settle down, but I'll mostly just try to be a good neighbor and stay out of the way.

Thanks.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

3/26/2020 8:08 PM

I will ride flatland in my garage, and if I get bored with that. I'll rebuild my mini ramp in the back yard.

|

3/26/2020 9:43 PM

I voted yes.. But I'm for sure not going to "send it" lol.. Little flatland, and driveway stuff.. Although I'm prepared to give myself stitches, that would be safer anyway (than ER Rona) now..

Has anyone stitched themselves up? I've had so many stitches, last two times, I did it myself lol..

I'm trained/certified, CPR, first responder/first aid, vertical rope rescue, river rescue, ice rescue, cold weather survival, wilderness areas survival, 28 years in forestry... Never broke a bone, but everything else been custom..

But I really don't like hospitals, especially right now.. I'd be fine with putting something kinda big, off, or just dealing with it vs being in a hospital environment right now..

|

3/26/2020 11:48 PM

I'm practicing stuff I should've practiced s long time ago in the parking lot of my apartment building. I put depends because I can't really ride anywhere else and sometimes there are too many people around.

|

3/27/2020 4:24 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

While there is some validity to this, there was a legit OLYMPIC LEVEL ATHLETE who got absolutely WRECKED by this thing.

It seems to hit certain blood types harder too.

To the OPs question, I will still cruise with my wife and kids on my road bike, and I will mess around on my BMX in front of my house too. Honestly I might even end up riding more than I did late last summer (as I was moving and dealing with that). I live in a small town and since this happened I am seeing a lot more of the kind of things I saw when I was a kid, people are outside in their yards, playing catch, jumping on their trampolines, and it seems families are actually spending time together and not just glued to screens.

I work in a position that allows me to work from home now, so I don't have to go out into public, so that is nice too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/27/2020 5:59 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

While there is some validity to this, there was a legit OLYMPIC LEVEL ATHLETE who got absolutely WRECKED by this thing.

It seems to hit certain blood types harder too.

To the OPs question, I will still cruise with my wife and kids on my road bike, and I will mess around on my BMX in front of my house too. Honestly I might even end up riding more than I did late last summer (as I was moving and dealing with that). I live in a small town and since this happened I am seeing a lot more of the kind of things I saw when I was a kid, people are outside in their yards, playing catch, jumping on their trampolines, and it seems families are actually spending time together and not just glued to screens.

I work in a position that allows me to work from home now, so I don't have to go out into public, so that is nice too.

As I said, I cant fault anyone for doing what they love. I have had people tell me my whole life, I shouldnt be dirtbiking, I shouldnt be rock climbing and now I shouldnt be riding bmx.

Also, I agree, I have seen more kids out actually WALKING and playing catch for the first time in YEARS!

Insane.

Who knew all it would take to get people closer together is a virus that you gotta stay at least 3 feet away to be safe...

|

3/31/2020 11:17 AM

damn i didnt even think about the fact that if i hurt myself it'll be harder to get treated. i have been pedaling around my neighborhood but avoiding parks since they might still have people at them

|

3/31/2020 2:09 PM

I’ve been seeing places have been starting to burry skateparks under dirt when clowns don’t listen and go and ride them , Trails is shouting !

|

3/31/2020 2:28 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve been seeing places have been starting to burry skateparks under dirt when clowns don’t listen and go and ride them , Trails is shouting !

Well if it is dirt, just build it into a weird trails/park setup!

I saw sand for one of them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/31/2020 10:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2020 10:14 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I saw pics too...Its a reversible measure to prevent wheels from rolling. It makes me cringe a bit but at the same time, Im glad things are being taken seriously. Think about all those kids and people in general that dont cover their mouth when they sneeze or cough. They could easily projectile sneeze directly at your damn face. Not to mention colliding with someone happens frequently at skateparks due to the unpredictable nature of having more than one person utilizing the same space.

There is an argument for full-face helmets while you ride. Less likely to touch someones face with your face in a literal head on collision...lol

|

3/31/2020 11:45 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I saw pics too...Its a reversible measure to prevent wheels from rolling. It makes me cringe a bit but at the same time, Im glad things are being taken seriously. Think about all those kids and people in general that dont cover their mouth when they sneeze or cough. They could easily projectile sneeze directly at your damn face. Not to mention colliding with someone happens frequently at skateparks due to the unpredictable nature of having more than one person utilizing the same space.

There is an argument for full-face helmets while you ride. Less likely to touch someones face with your face in a literal head on collision...lol

The helmet would become a carrier.

|

4/1/2020 4:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2020 4:18 AM

This is why you build your own stuff, at least a box/rail and or a kicker.

I've got three rails-two are tall enough for a BMX to grind. I plan to dig em out and set up a line in front of my house. I want to grab some lumber and toss together a couple kickers that can act as a really shallow spine too.

We just cleared a section in our little wooded area for a firepit etc, and if the wife is not a fan of how it turns out, I let her know I will take that space over with a miniramp!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura