WATER IN BMX FROM WASHING HELP

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2018 10:54 AM

Hey guys I just wanted to know if this is good and normal as I mAy have accidentally got water into things such as my bmx frame or bars through tiny holes for instance holes on the frame for gyro mounts and bars without bar ends on. Has this happened to you and does it affect the weight or make the bmx any heavier and also would it eventually evaporate in hot weather if it were inside the frame is this okay?
Has this happened to you? Is it normal? Is it okay?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Please guys help.

|

7/17/2018 10:57 AM

Don't wash your bike with water. If I were you, I'd strip the bike and make sure all the water is out. Then get a ptfe spray (gt85 or muc off mo94) and spray it over and inside everything. Then wipe it down.
If you used a pressure washer, you'll need to clean out and regrease your bearings too.

|

7/17/2018 11:18 AM

Did you dunk it? If not, don't be too worried, but make sure to clean it properly next time.

I use a rag and windex for the main parts, degreaser for the chain and then fresh lubricant.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/17/2018 11:23 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't wash your bike with water. If I were you, I'd strip the bike and make sure all the water is out. Then get a ptfe spray ...more

I don’t want to go through the hassle of stripping my bmx but I did use pressure washer before and just recently cleaned it with normal water not pressure washer. I also polished it with car wax and also I don’t need to Re grease, it is fine right?

|

7/17/2018 11:58 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Did you dunk it? If not, don't be too worried, but make sure to clean it properly next time.

I use a rag and windex for the ...more

THIS! I use Windex and a rag as well... and WD-40 to clean the chain real good then put some chain lube on it...

I can't STAND water on my bike... I would NEVER clean my bike with a hose or anything like that, so it'll probably be okay for now, but DON'T do it again...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/17/2018 12:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2018 12:03 PM

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

I don’t want to go through the hassle of stripping my bmx but I did use pressure washer before and just recently cleaned it ...more

If you're so sure that it's OK and you're too lazy to check it or do something about it, why even ask the question?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/17/2018 12:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't wash your bike with water. If I were you, I'd strip the bike and make sure all the water is out. Then get a ptfe spray ...more

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

I don’t want to go through the hassle of stripping my bmx but I did use pressure washer before and just recently cleaned it ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

If you're so sure that it's OK and you're too lazy to check it or do something about it, why even ask the question?

Yeah I know right...

Don't worry, don't properly clean or regrease anything.... you'll be finesmile

|

7/17/2018 12:24 PM

Well, if ya don't strip that BMX down and give it a full run-through and clean it up, then it won't be long until you'll be sorry.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/17/2018 12:52 PM

Who cleans their bike haha

|

Hmmm

7/17/2018 1:15 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah, slightly odd. I wipe mine down if it gets nasty, but I'm probably not ever going to "wash" it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/17/2018 1:26 PM

Edman123 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yeah, slightly odd. I wipe mine down if it gets nasty, but I'm probably not ever going to "wash" it.

When my bike gets dirty I just peel off a layer and boom it's like new

|

Hmmm

7/17/2018 1:41 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I wipe my bike down only if it gets wet or if I ride in dirt and especially if I crash in dirt or mud.

Otherwise, whatever. I dont even clean my bikes for bike checks. Lol

|

7/17/2018 2:04 PM

I just spray my bike with gt85 and wipe it off if it's either covered in dust, or I get rained on.

|

7/17/2018 2:14 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I use a rag and windex for the ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

THIS! I use Windex and a rag as well... and WD-40 to clean the chain real good then put some chain lube on it...

I can't ...more

Exactly this!! Windex or Simple Green

@CRFR don’t use WD40 unless it’s the one for bikes. Use a cheap chain cleaner from Walmart. And get over to the gun section. Ask whoever is working for the lube/protective sprays. Get a small bottle. My dad has been sick for awhile and I was going through his gun stuff to see what to sell and found a can of it. I will check the brand. It was pouring down rain (you know we aren’t too far apart) and I forgot my bike outside for 30min. After doing both my chain is butter smooth and I even dumped a glass of water on it and it beaded up like polish. Used a hair dry and it blew every inch of water off and out. Stuff is AMAZING!

Little tip, even though you should keep your bikes clean and check for cracks and stuff every single time you go to ride. After cleaning, polish it!!! Car polish keeps dirt and stuff from sticking to it. Rims too, just not sidewalls if you run brakes.

|

7/17/2018 2:21 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Exactly this!! Windex or Simple Green

@CRFR don’t use WD40 unless it’s the one for bikes. Use a cheap chain cleaner from ...more

Yeah it has definitely been raining quite a bit here lately :/

But my chain's not rusty or anything from the WD-40... I take my chain off my bike and fill an empty platic water bottle and fI'll it with WD-40 then put my chain in it and shake it around, then I take it out, scrub the rest of the gunk off with an old toothbrush, then use an air compressor to blow all the WD-40 off, then I relube it... always super clean and smooth after that...

|

7/17/2018 2:32 PM

I'm going to report 50% of this thread to Anal Retentive Bike Riders Anonymous.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/17/2018 2:37 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah it has definitely been raining quite a bit here lately :/

But my chain's not rusty or anything from the WD-40... I take ...more

I've used WD-40 to clean grease and displace water(I still wipe my whole bike down with some after it rains) for years. And I especially use it to clean my chain-I do the same method as WD-40 in a cup, let my chain soak for hour, let it sit on my porch for another hour and then load it Teflon Chain lube. And My chain runs smoother than a FBM weld.

Never had a rusty chain, and haven't busted a chain in 2 years(on two different Shadow Interlock V2s- just switch over to a supreme so I expect that streak to continue).

|

7/17/2018 3:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I’m not lazy at all! It’s all good it’s basically just me checking that if it’s all okay, which it is!

|