WD40+BERRINGS=BAD?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/3/2009 8:18 PM

iv herd that thin oil + berrigs is bad (triflow,wd40) why is this its still a lubricant right

|

ref(s): evenwest94

11/3/2009 8:21 PM

it has water in it

its good if you bearings are like dirty and fucked to the point they wont move cause i fixed them with it before

but youre supposed to use actuall grease

|

Bike Check
#Merica.

11/3/2009 8:27 PM

it bad no casue it has water ita water detertent... but because it is classified as a light lubercant.

in lamest terms if breaks down to fast.

grease doesnt.

think of it this way it alot easier to get wd40 off your hands then it is to get grease off... now think of your hands as bearings... you want grease on your bearings and you dont want it to coem off easy.

|

11/3/2009 8:29 PM

k but someone told me once its a de-greaser and then my skater friend said it would rust the berrings....but for like short term if im out of grease triflow is ok?

|

11/3/2009 8:35 PM

short term is fine we are talking like maybe a day here max. its not a degreaser it a water deteriant. thats why its pretty much safe to use on electionics. i have no idea what triflow is.

|

11/3/2009 8:37 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

short term is fine we are talking like maybe a day here max. its not a degreaser it a water deteriant. thats why its pretty much safe to use on electionics. i have no idea what triflow is.

chain lube

|

11/3/2009 8:40 PM

DIMEBAG93 wrote:

it has water in it

its good if you bearings are like dirty and fucked to the point they wont move cause i fixed them with it before

no, wd 40 does not have water, WD stands for water displacment and the 40 is the 40th try to make the formula right, true story

|

11/3/2009 8:40 PM

idk i use whitelighten

|

11/3/2009 8:41 PM

DIMEBAG93 wrote:

it has water in it

scottrod wrote:

no, wd 40 does not have water, WD stands for water displacment and the 40 is the 40th try to make the formula right, true story

this is true... i watch to much history channel

|

11/3/2009 8:41 PM

DIMEBAG93 wrote:

it has water in it

scottrod wrote:

hmm well then
i knew the 40 part but not the wd
haha

|

Bike Check
#Merica.

11/3/2009 8:42 PM

DIMEBAG93 wrote:

it has water in it

scottrod wrote:

wd is a water based lube, its bad when i got a used hub it was lubed with wd 40 and i cleanded that shit out as best i could and greased it up

|

united states army

refs:nshs2010, carjakester,8=D,orgy,dallybiker45,RedCrayon,Southernrider,thor_davis, Andysubrosa8,gstring02,dirtjumper202,bdk1313,blake el gingero(x2)

11/3/2009 8:47 PM

Guys. Bearing grease in bearings. Lithium based stuff is fine. I'd recommend the general purpose stuff as it is lighter than the automotive wheel bearing grease, and better for bikes. But wheel bearing grease is okay as well. Lighter oils will not work due to the friction (heat).

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

11/3/2009 8:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/3/2009 8:51 PM

i use atomotive gresse just cause i can get it free but a small amount
|

united states army

refs:nshs2010, carjakester,8=D,orgy,dallybiker45,RedCrayon,Southernrider,thor_davis, Andysubrosa8,gstring02,dirtjumper202,bdk1313,blake el gingero(x2)

11/3/2009 8:59 PM

tibug wrote:

Guys. Bearing grease in bearings. Lithium based stuff is fine. I'd recommend the general purpose stuff as it is lighter than the automotive wheel bearing grease, and better for bikes. But wheel bearing grease is okay as well. Lighter oils will not work due to the friction (heat).

Ding ding winner.I like phil wood grease.Off the top of my head,the other main brands are Park and Finish line.The viscosity of chain lube is way to low,and tri flow wont cut it either.

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

11/3/2009 9:03 PM

Ed note.....That should say viscosity is to high.

|

11/3/2009 9:09 PM

i use automotive grease (the real thick stuff) for hubs, cranks, bearings, and everything else except for chain and brake pivots i use finish line teflon

|

refs: Spikez5, cokacola, dacumup213 (x2), josh estey, Blake El Gingero, naters14, Harry95, pcoco, hattrckhcky, bstick, kevinl, Sunday.bmx21, dgisback, iridebmxeveryday, I RIDE

11/3/2009 9:11 PM

finish line teflon lube for driver, best shit ever extends the life of everything.

|

Ed's Bike Shop Flow Team.
Go Webbie!

11/3/2009 9:13 PM

Works great for getting the sticker residoo off the frame and other parts.

|

11/3/2009 9:16 PM

Over 30 and still riding wrote:

Works great for getting the sticker residoo off the frame and other parts.

first clean, a paint prep. is what I use, shits industrial strength.

|

Ed's Bike Shop Flow Team.
Go Webbie!

11/4/2009 12:12 AM

dont ever use WD 40 on anything. unless your trying to take stickers off. WD 40 is great for your chain once you put it on. but then you go hit the trails, then with end an hour your chain is DRY, and its coverd in dirt. it take away half of the life of your chain.
for my BB and my headset, I use what is known as in the army as GAA grease. for hubs, if i start to have a problem out side of it just becoming loose. I take it to the shop. I also use GAA grease on my seat post. keeps it from rusting.
Whitlighting is the best on your chain. It keeps dirt off, simi dry, and lubed up.

|

I ride to live!
For the street niggas livin with they lives on the line
For young guns comin up durin these times
For police who find drugs let niggas slide
For niggas out slingin like 4 in the night

11/4/2009 12:27 AM

I use WD on my bike all the time, but only for cleaning. Its good for degreasing stuff. But I always wipe it out after awhile, and then grease everthing back up I used it on. Is good for getting rust out, and loosening stuff up. But always wipe down and grease stuff back up.
For my chain the best thing I have found that works for me, is using gun oil on it. Good for my guns good for my chain. Always have some remington gun oil wipes with me. Cleans the chain good and keeps it lubed good.

|

11/4/2009 1:04 AM

I use WD on my bike all the time, but only for cleaning. Its good for degreasing stuff. But I always wipe it out after awhile, and then grease everthing back up I used it on. Is good for getting rust out, and loosening stuff up. But always wipe down and grease stuff back up.
For my chain the best thing I have found that works for me, is using gun oil on it. Good for my guns good for my chain. Always have some remington gun oil wipes with me. Cleans the chain good and keeps it lubed good.

that suff you use on your chain. gun oil? is it called CLP? that is ok if it is by a company called Otis Tech, Inc. But I still would not recomand that.

|

I ride to live!

11/4/2009 12:54 PM

keane_str_2112 wrote:

that suff you use on your chain. gun oil? is it called CLP? that is ok if it is by a company called Otis Tech, Inc. But I still would not recomand that.

Been using gun oil sence the 80's and never had any problems.

|

11/4/2009 12:55 PM

keane_str_2112 wrote:

Been using gun oil sence the 80's and never had any problems.

then you must have the right kind.

|

I ride to live!

11/4/2009 2:40 PM

i use stuff like that(triflow) on my bb, i dont think it really helps for anything else

|

NEXT bikes all god damn day

11/4/2009 2:48 PM

triflow is probably the best thing you can do. WD40 sucks horribly

|

Sigs are for Pigs

11/4/2009 3:10 PM

piggy7 wrote:

triflow is probably the best thing you can do. WD40 sucks horribly

K CAUSE I USE TRIFLOW FOR EVERY THING BECAUSE PHILL WOOD GREASE IS SUPER OVERPRICED AT MY SHOP its like 30 bucks

caps was on sry

|

11/4/2009 3:27 PM

|

11/4/2009 3:28 PM

they charge 5$ for a tube but 25 for laboer to put it on and they wont loan tools so if your stranded and u only have 5 bucks it looks like your walkin to wherever yor going this is why i hate shops

|