WTP Battleship frame question

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2018 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2018 3:34 PM

What's the point of the hydroformed gussets other than looking cool? How exactly are hydroformed gussets any different from a standard gusset? Is it any stronger? If so, explain how.Photo

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

2/20/2018 3:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2018 3:34 PM

Id say based purely on visuals and a very limited understanding of structure, they should be significantly stroger just based on the shape alone.

I have no background in welding or frame building besides basic carpentry.

|

2/20/2018 3:37 PM

Greater contact area. Smaller HAZ possibly? Not sure if it makes a great deal of difference compared to a frame that's been welded well though

|

2/20/2018 3:40 PM

They also hold to the very top and bottom of the ht. That may affect the leverage or something that leads to them being ripped off.

|

Hmmm

2/20/2018 5:22 PM

Probably more for looks than anything, but it might be slightly stronger. I think it looks pretty cool anyway.

|

2/20/2018 11:52 PM

It has a bigger weld which usually makes things more stiff , and I believe the shape slightly makes it easier for the welder as gas typically wants to rush out of a normal tube when almost sealed , which make things somewhat tricky ( so I’ve heard ) . The bigger junction is the main thing , it attaches to the headtube more than a normal gusset being placed on the toptube / downtube and just being welding on .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/22/2018 6:17 AM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

What's the point of the hydroformed gussets other than looking cool? How exactly are hydroformed gussets any different from a ...more

Hydro formed tubes are formed with water pressure and forced through a mold to give them that shape. Anytime you see the prefix HYDRO you can be certain it relates to water. In this case the tubes are shaped that way using water instead of a die to extrude or shape them. I'm not sure if their gussets are thicker but the whole purpose of a gusset is to reinforce the tube junction through increased contact with them. To answer your quwstuon.. It's just a different way of doing a gusset .. No clue if it is stronger/weaker than a traditional kind. I wonder if anyone has even tested it in a lab yet.

|

2/22/2018 9:37 AM

They have done that for visuals?! Really do not like the gussets at all and prefer simple lines, but I can appreciate it if they are adding strength.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/23/2018 9:28 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

They have done that for visuals?! Really do not like the gussets at all and prefer simple lines, but I can appreciate it if ...more

they most definitely do it for strength the frame comes with a lifetime warranty

|

2/24/2018 6:12 PM

It definitely looks cool, but pretty much all frames have gussets nowadays, wether they are external or internal. Personally, I like external stuff like this, it adds a little character and flare.

|