WTP hybrid hub

Related:
Create New Tag

3/15/2021 9:04 AM

What y’all think?

If I ever get a coaster again I’d probably consider it just cause of the price

|

3/15/2021 10:25 AM

I'm curious as well, I'd like to see what other people think. I'll likely just either run a coaster or cassette but would like to learn more about hybrid hubs, besides the profile z coaster

|

3/15/2021 10:33 AM

Just watched the video, looks like a solid reliable hub. I'd buy it just for the freecoaster aspect tbh. I'm going to look into it some more

|

3/15/2021 11:45 AM

Two perspectives on this:

1. Pro: The younger me would love this. The price is SUPER reasonable and allows riders to try two different hub styles while also learning basic hub maintenance. I think this is a really good thing.

2. Con: a large portion of my job involves new product development and innovating. This seems like a “bridge” product rather than something truly groundbreaking. My fantasy hub would:

A. Be available male/female
B. LHD/RHD switchable
C. Control slack externally (with your finger, not by disassembling)
D. To expand on item C, it would be great to have a toggle or slide that would adjust slack from
Freecoaster—>Cassette. At the Freecoaster end, max 1/3 crank slack, and then at the min slack, engagement would be similar to the Revolution. The rider could then use the same toggle to transition from min slack coaster to full cassette
E. Lightweight
F. Hub flanges are the same diameter (ease of ordering/organizing spokes)
G. More colorways than black

I realize this is super nitpicky, but perhaps I am just frustrated with the long cycle time (no pun intended) for BMX component development.

|

3/15/2021 5:03 PM

I have one on the way, that will be here later this week will update further

|

We out here breathing. -Bert

3/15/2021 5:55 PM

My check list before I buy a hybrid..

Pedal pressure like a cassette
Rolling back like a freecoaster
Most important, silent at all times

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

3/15/2021 6:23 PM

This is super interesting. My Eclat Blind is similar in the hybrid sense with springs and pawls for coaster and cassette modes, but this seems far sturdier in many ways.

Will be interesting to see where this goes in the coming years.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/16/2021 8:52 AM

This is something i'm actually considering, im a cassette guy through and through but i have had days of wanting to mess around on coasters and this hub would be perfect. I do see the appeal for it and i think its a cool idea. Although its not enough to justify me getting one brand new since I still have my cassette which works fine and I dont need to spend £130 just to get a couple days of FC riding. If i want that i'll take my sprocket bolt out haha.

|

3/16/2021 12:59 PM

makes me wish I hadn't already given in and ordered a Gulf Coaster.

|

3/16/2021 11:08 PM

If my Clutch V2 wasn't so reliable and consistent and female axled I'd give this a try. The weight and extra slack looks real attractive. I feel like I'd prefer this to a revolution as it seems to be a better FC system in general. I'm not a pedal pressure rider so the engagement time is not really a factor to me.. mostly smoothness of coasting, consistency of engagement, weight, durability, silence of operation.

|

3/17/2021 6:54 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

If my Clutch V2 wasn't so reliable and consistent and female axled I'd give this a try. The weight and extra slack looks real ...more

I get you on those last statements. Love my primo freemix, but this coaster will very likely be my next one. Wish I could justify buying one and lacing it up.

|

3/18/2021 2:07 AM

Just seen it. Couldn't be bothered to look it up sooner. Weird how everyone thinks this is new when Ezra made one almost identical years ago. I had a salt trapeze which used Ezra internals.

|

3/18/2021 3:15 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Just seen it. Couldn't be bothered to look it up sooner. Weird how everyone thinks this is new when Ezra made one almost ...more

We've been working on pawl based free coasters in various forms for 15+ years now. The Hybrid has been a project which as spanned around 10 of these.

Whilst the hub is based off the Saltplus Trapez Freecoaster system (which was a solid/reliable hub), it's hardly identical. We spent a long time working on that basic principle and improving it drastically in all the areas where riders were asking. It's like holding two 48 spline cranks from 2 brands next to each other, they may be based on the same basic principle but they are not exactly the same and one may be far superior in design, quality and performance.

Don't let the fact that it's switchable between FC and CS think you into seeing that as the only feature of this hub. Besides that, it's an incredibly simple, reliable and durable free coaster hub that rides/feels like a conventional freecoaster, without the durability, weight and performance downgrades. Most of the team are riding the hybrid now and they don't seem interested in going back to a clutch style freecoaster any time soon.

|

3/19/2021 6:16 AM

seems pretty cool, especially for those who switch between the two. They wouldn't have to have two wheels or re-lace

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

T34416L3 TW1N5 - Terrible Twins (Twin Terrible One Barcodes) Brakes/Brakeless T1

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims
WTB: S&M Pitchfork, 26mm
WTB: BSD Revolution Hub, RHD