Want to get into the sport.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2018 6:24 PM

Hi all, I've been looking into getting a BMX for casual riding and something to throw around a few minutes a day. I ride MTB currently and enjoy taking it to the local skateparks to hit some small ramps. Unfortunately it's a slack and heavy bike with a large frame so hucking it around on vert ramps is pretty hard. I don't know anything about BMX brands or the sport really. I grew up with a Huffy One Ton (old school) and enjoyed watching Dave Mirra. I'm mostly looking for a used bike to get my feet wet in the sport and see if it's worth sinking money into a nice bike.

I'm 5'11 and around 185 pounds, from research looks like I should be looking for a 21" TT? Any recommendations for tire size? It seems 20 is pretty common. I've read 3 piece cranks are the way to go but with a limited budget not sure what I can get. Any recommendations for brands to look out for or to avoid would be great. Trying to stay under the $200 limit. Thanks in advance. Located near D.C.

|

7/10/2018 6:31 PM

First, read this;

https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/20-Freestyle-BMX-Complete-Bike-Buying-Guide,1317909

Second, you will need to find something used if that is your price limit.

|

7/10/2018 7:03 PM

At your height, you could ride anything from a 20.75-" 21"... But it's personal preference

|

7/14/2018 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/14/2018 11:17 AM

For $200, it's worth checking local Facebook selling pages. Tons of alright spec but fairly beaten up BMX's on there for cheap. 21" sounds about right. 20" is standard wheel size, might be worth checking out a set of 2.4 tyres coming from MTB, much like MTB fat tyres is becoming pretty trendy and you probably already have some preferences. BMX is harsh on the wrists!

|

7/14/2018 11:25 AM

Mongoose Legion L100

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...