Warmups

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2018 5:39 AM

How long does it take for you guys to warm up? When I come home from school I can barely even lift up the front wheel and then like 15 minutes after I can finally hop and have energy

|

5/7/2018 5:49 AM

the ride to the park/spot is usualy enough

|

Hmmm

5/7/2018 5:57 AM

I'm 32 and it takes me like 5-10 mins to loosen up these days, but to get really nutty and start hucking stuff I used to do takes a while longer and a really good/motivating session with people.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/7/2018 6:01 AM

Like 5-10 mins of just flowing through the park is what I do, I mean, as soon as I get on my bike I can do 180s and 360s and stuff, just I feel better and more comfortable flowing through the park first...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/7/2018 6:02 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I only have my driveway and soon built ledge to ride closest park is 45 minutes away and don’t have anyone to ride street with

|

5/7/2018 6:07 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Like 5-10 mins of just flowing through the park is what I do, I mean, as soon as I get on my bike I can do 180s and 360s and ...more

That’s nice do you stretch or anything or something I can’t even hop as soon as I get on my bike

|

5/7/2018 6:09 AM

Edman123 wrote:

tahir wrote:

I only have my driveway and soon built ledge to ride closest park is 45 minutes away and don’t have anyone to ride street with ...more

unless im going to be riding in the hood i dont usually ride street with anyone

|

Hmmm

5/7/2018 6:19 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Like 5-10 mins of just flowing through the park is what I do, I mean, as soon as I get on my bike I can do 180s and 360s and ...more

tahir wrote:

That’s nice do you stretch or anything or something I can’t even hop as soon as I get on my bike

Yeah, sometimes I stretch, but I haven't been recently... I know I need to start doing it every time before I ride, so that's something I'm going to start doing again...

|

5/7/2018 6:41 AM

The ride to wherever I want to go normally warms me up enough

|

5/7/2018 6:44 AM

I usually ride street in a different town, which involves a 10 minute ride, 20 minute train journey, then a quick ride to whatever spot. By that time my hips hurt from the ride to the station then sitting on the train. So I do half arsed attempts at stuff for 5 - 10 minutes. After half an hour my hips hurt again, but I'm usually keen to get something done and just carry on.
By the time I get home I usually can't walk properly, and after sitting down with a cuppa I can't stand up or walk properly. But walking the dog loosens everything up again.
Getting old sucks.

|

5/7/2018 6:53 AM

tahir wrote:

How long does it take for you guys to warm up? When I come home from school I can barely even lift up the front wheel and then ...more

From watching your bunny hop video and this thread, I'm gathering that you don't have a lot of strength. That's not a problem, because strength can be gained, but it sounds like you need to do a little more physical activity with yourself more regularly.

As far as warming up, you should stretch anyway. It helps circulation, prevents injury, etc. I usually take a couple laps up and over some stuff at the park, a hop 180 or two, and a manual, just to get my body used to getting into and holding positions. Before any of that. Before I leave my apartment, I stretch

You may wanna go to Modells or Dicks and grab a couple 10 lbs weights and work on them. When you're stronger, everything is easier.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/7/2018 7:02 AM

tahir wrote:

How long does it take for you guys to warm up? When I come home from school I can barely even lift up the front wheel and then ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

From watching your bunny hop video and this thread, I'm gathering that you don't have a lot of strength. That's not a problem, ...more

I play a lot of basketball and I do go workout sometimes a week I guess I’ll just build it up while riding

|

5/7/2018 7:13 AM

tahir wrote:

I play a lot of basketball and I do go workout sometimes a week I guess I’ll just build it up while riding

That's good. Basketball is really good for cardio which I personally think is really important (lots of BMX people say cardio is worthless)

But yeah, you're just gonna have to build up the bike muscles, and by that I mean forearms, lats, deltoids, biceps, etc. Your hands, arms and shoulders are all working really hard to move the bike around, so maybe even just working out upper body more you'll feel the difference.

I notice some days if my hand/grip strength isn't there I feel like I'm gonna fall right off the bike. How often a week do you ride?

|

5/7/2018 7:33 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

That's good. Basketball is really good for cardio which I personally think is really important (lots of BMX people say cardio ...more

Mostly Everyday but some times every other day

|

5/7/2018 7:43 AM

I Usually do a a quick yoga sesh before riding, stretches me out and gets my heart pumping, making it more "comfortable" to hop on my bike.

If it's a 'dry' start it takes me like 10-15 minutes to warm up doing 180's and flatland jibs, when on my way to work (5:30-6:00am usually) I'll do little icepick grinds on the bench on the train Platform to loosen me up.

|

5/7/2018 8:05 AM

tahir wrote:

Mostly Everyday but some times every other day

You'll get there, for sure. Are you sore after you ride? I haven't ridden since last weekend because my knee has been acting up but I rode for about 6 hours this past weekend and felt great.

I woke up yesterday and everything from my knees up was sore. Not bad sore like I'd been hurt, but good sore like those muscles all got a wake up call and worked really hard. Like my shoulders, forearms and back are all KILLING me.

If you're just starting bmx and just starting to learn how to hop, give it hell, man. REALLY compress down, REALLY yank your bike up. Work hard at it and make it so you only stop riding when you literally can't ride anymore. That's how I ride and you being much younger...you should have more energy than me laughing

But for real, I don't go home until it's actually hard for me to hop. It's such a good workout that you should really leave everything out there and come back home after riding feeling like you're gonna die. 4 years ago when I was insane about working out, I legit wouldn't consider it a good workout until I was about to vomit.

Nothing worth having comes easy.

|

5/7/2018 8:19 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You'll get there, for sure. Are you sore after you ride? I haven't ridden since last weekend because my knee has been acting ...more

Yeah I do get sore after riding like my lower back and shoulders I need bars with higher rise

|

5/7/2018 10:03 AM

tahir wrote:

Yeah I do get sore after riding like my lower back and shoulders I need bars with higher rise

no you just need to build up the muscles, stretching helps too

|

Hmmm

5/7/2018 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 10:18 AM

Edman123 wrote:

no you just need to build up the muscles, stretching helps too

Higher rise bars may or may not help you get more control, but it's muscle and technique that'll get your hops high and everything else working right.

If you've only been riding for a month, you're probably going to get frustrated but that's where the dedication and faith comes in.

I'm 33 years old and if you told me 4 years ago that I'd be doing flat 180's, manuals, fakies, footjam whips, double peg/feeble/smith grinds on ledges and curved rails, and doing wall rides on jersey barriers, I would've laughed at you.

Now? I'm doing them. It took almost a full year of me riding as much as I possibly could (I'd KILL for the ability to ride every day) to get where I am, and I still have only have like 5 tricks down 75% of the way.

I hate sounding like a rapper, but trust the process. Most people that are good, and I mean REALLY good have been riding for 6-10 years.

|

5/7/2018 10:24 AM

tahir wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

From watching your bunny hop video and this thread, I'm gathering that you don't have a lot of strength. That's not a problem, ...more

If I remember the video right, it looked more like a fear problem(fear of looping out) as he wouldn't throw his weight back/upwards to begin the hop and get the front wheel up. He's trying to move the bike without also moving his body. I think his technique and the whole way he's going about learning is flawed, more than anything else.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/7/2018 1:59 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Higher rise bars may or may not help you get more control, but it's muscle and technique that'll get your hops high and ...more

I haven’t been riding in a month I’m taking it serious for a month before then I’d just mess around not caring about doing it right or not

|

5/7/2018 2:00 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

If I remember the video right, it looked more like a fear problem(fear of looping out) as he wouldn't throw his weight ...more

I know how to loop out I just can’t loop out every time I have to pull back really hard and really put my mind into it to do it

|

5/7/2018 2:04 PM

tahir wrote:

I know how to loop out I just can’t loop out every time I have to pull back really hard and really put my mind into it to do ...more

No offence intended, man. I'm just pointing out what I see you doing wrong. Learn to manual; it'll automatically improve your hop technique.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/7/2018 3:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

No offence intended, man. I'm just pointing out what I see you doing wrong. Learn to manual; it'll automatically improve your ...more

It’s all good man I didn’t offend me thanks for the tips I’m putting up a update vid soon

|

5/7/2018 3:43 PM

|

5/7/2018 3:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 3:49 PM

tahir wrote:

Update video:

I can get the bars to my hips now just let me know if i need to improve / change anything sorry for the trouble guys just a fellow bmx rider whos beginning the sport.

PS: My back is done for the day so I had to stop spent around 3 hours.

|

5/7/2018 4:26 PM

I mean dude, you're geting there man, just practice and commitment... heres's a video I did for ya and you can see, I compress and bring my bars up to my chest, and bring the back tire up to my ass, and that's not the best hop I can do obviously, those boxes I'm hopping over are about stem height... but just watch it a few times and just practice and you'll get there...

|