Warranty on completes ordered online

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2018 8:28 PM

I know everyone orders completes online. Does it really void the warranty if not assembled by a bike shop?

|

3/13/2018 9:26 PM

I mean I don't think they'd figure it out unless something was drastically fucked up from assembly or you specifically told them.

|

3/13/2018 10:36 PM

I vaguely remember skimming across some warranty info before that mentioned needing a receipt of assembly for a warranty claim, but I cannot remember for the life of me where I read it.

I'm sure each individual company has their own requirements. For what it's worth.

|

3/14/2018 12:50 AM

I'd guess it depends what the warranty issue is. If it's from the bike not being built properly, then most brands would probably want some kind of proof it was built by someone that knows how to build a bike. At the same time, warranty is very limited on most completes anyway.
If something goes wrong with your bike, you're better off just upgrading the parts than faffing about trying to get something replaced under warranty.

|

3/14/2018 1:05 AM

What Steve said.

|

3/14/2018 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2018 8:42 AM

Yeah I don’t see why get charged $50+ or whatever just to assemble the front wheel, stem, handlebars, seat, and put air in the tires... I’m pretty sure 99% of us on here can do that... I was thinking more like what if the frame cracked from a hard crash or something.

|

3/14/2018 9:38 AM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Yeah I don’t see why get charged $50+ or whatever just to assemble the front wheel, stem, handlebars, seat, and put air in the ...more

That's BMX for you. You just wipe away the tears and get a new frame.

|

3/14/2018 9:46 AM

So which companies have lifetime warranties on their frames from cracking? I’m guessing aftermarket too, no completes right?

|

3/14/2018 10:04 AM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

So which companies have lifetime warranties on their frames from cracking? I’m guessing aftermarket too, no completes right?

No completes, very very few frames. The frame on a complete isn't as good as an aftermarket frame. They skip out a few things to help keep costs down. Even if it's "full chromoly" it won't be the same quality as the chromoly on an aftermarket frame.

As for building the bike. You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to tighten stem bolts, or pedals, etc. So by having it built by a qualified mechanic, you're covering your own back. Every nut and bolt needs checking as they're literally just thrown together in the factory.

|

3/14/2018 10:12 AM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Sunday Soundwave and most if not all WTP frames, off the top of my head.

|

3/14/2018 10:18 AM

Doesn't S&M offer lifetime on frames, forks, bars?

|

3/14/2018 10:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

One year, I believe.

|

3/14/2018 10:27 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

No I dont think so... I believe they'll just give you a new part at a discount...

Sunday, Odyssey, and Gsport are the only ones I know that will just send you new parts, as long as you have a proof of purchase... I'm if you buy an Odyssey, Gsport, or Sunday part used/2nd hand and you break it they may send you a new part or a discounted part, probably just depends on the part and how much it is...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/14/2018 10:32 AM

Thanks folks good shit to know!

|

3/14/2018 10:54 AM

I remember years ago when top end BMX bikes came with a lifetime warranty on the frames. Redline, Torker, SE, GT, Hutch, Haro.... they all offered Lifetime.

|

3/14/2018 10:56 AM

I know Eastern offers lifetime on some things. Their Reynolds cr-mo cranks have a lifetime & I think their Swivelhip fork does too. Of course, I couldn't find that info printed.... I got that from them over the phone... so who know what they'd cover in reality. They offer a discounted replacement on their top end stuff.

|

3/14/2018 2:57 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I remember years ago when top end BMX bikes came with a lifetime warranty on the frames. Redline, Torker, SE, GT, Hutch, ...more

Honestly, it's partially the consumer at large's fault for warranties like that disappearing. Especially on high-wear items. LL Bean recently changed their entire warranty structure because people were taking serious advantage of it.

They had a very simple and clear no questions asked warranty. Something like you could return a pair of pants from 4 years ago and get new pair free. It was pretty ridiculous, but lots of people loved it. Unfortunately too many people loved it and started returning huge items for no reason other than to upgrade.

I think at this point in BMX, if you get a lifetime warranty on a BMX frame, it's one hell of an endorsement considering what they go through.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/14/2018 3:17 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Yeah I don’t see why get charged $50+ or whatever just to assemble the front wheel, stem, handlebars, seat, and put air in the ...more

You'd be surprised, there's a lot that could go wrong especially if the wheels are unsealed. Unsealed wheels will nearly 99% of the time come with the internals way too tight and need adjusting, otherwise they'll be prone to premature failure. most people might not even have the proper tools to adjust them, let alone know how to get the happy medium.

You're paying for more than just the assembly, you're paying so it's done correctly. This includes proper adjustments, greasing (you'd be surprised how many people don't grease their pedal threads then end up with their pedals seized on months later), truing (sometimes wheels come slightly bent), and more I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

It's also an incentive to buy local, as buying from shops (even if you have to have the bike ordered in), they'll knock off that assembly fee more than likely

|

3/14/2018 4:25 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I remember years ago when top end BMX bikes came with a lifetime warranty on the frames. Redline, Torker, SE, GT, Hutch, ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Honestly, it's partially the consumer at large's fault for warranties like that disappearing. Especially on high-wear items. ...more

Yeah... I agree. I used one warranty on my PK ripper back in the day when I cracked it. But that's the only time I've ever used something like that. I figure if it's an obvious defect, that's on them. But if I beat it, well, "Can you help me out?". Lol

|

3/15/2018 7:41 AM

Couple months ago I was about to place an online order on the 18 gt pro performer (86 repop) but thought to also call a bike shop, bike shop basically gave me same price I could get it online and that included assembly and 1 year free service.
When bike shop got the bike they realized box was missing a bolt for the cranks! Shop called them and got bolt overnighted to them to complete bike ( not sure it would have been as easy for me..)
Last week I took it back to the shop for a rotational clunk and they are going to warranty rear wheel (thinking rear hub/driver clunks..)

|