Was this a fair deal?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2018 10:05 PM

I picked up a MadMain Charged Purple for $35. The tyres still have life in them but are quite worn out, the rear was replaced with a sunday tyre that can hold 100psi feels similar quality to the crawlers. There is one pedal only on the bike which is a Deco, the grips are a bit worn out and one of them is starting to throttle grip. Bar ends are pretty much gone, there is no compression cap.

I checked both the frame and the wheels. The frame has no cracks or dents, just has scrapes as I would expect. But one scrape looks severe such as a good chunk of metal is missing when I look. This is on the chain stay but should it be fine?

Also I am not an expert at wheels, they are straight for the most part I didn't expect them to be 100% true. Just the rear has a hop in it, and they all have loose spokes. I remember there was someone who gave advice on how to carefully check a used bike, something about spoke holes or cracks i can't remember, but how do I check if the rims are good?

|

4/3/2018 10:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2018 10:11 PM

Oh, goodness.

Do post a photo, words only do so much. But it kinda does fit the price, and by the way you're explaining this, there's a chance you even overpaid for that Mafia, heh...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/3/2018 10:16 PM

35 bucks sounds like a great deal for any semi complete contemporary bmx.

New set of pedals, grips and a spoke wrench will cost you around 40ish bucks. 75 bucks would still be a great deal to have a rideable bike. Id say anywhere from free-175.00 is a great deal for a decent used bike.

|

4/3/2018 10:34 PM

I'll post some pictures soon once my phone charges up, I looked again and I might be making it sound worse than it really is.

|

4/4/2018 12:06 AM

It'll do you a turn. But there must be a reason it's that cheap. Be prepared to spend money fixing it, or start saving for a new bike. A bike that beat and cheap is bound to have a few issues. It might even be worth taking to a shop for them to check it out and service it

|

4/4/2018 2:31 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/4/2018 2:57 AM

That's plenty of bike for $35. A few bits on it and it will be riding fine and then you just upgrade as you go.

Get ready for some Mafia hate though...

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

4/4/2018 3:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 3:05 AM

Yea I recently heard about Mafia Bikes and Harry. It was something about the bikes being weaker than promised or how its hurting local bike shops??

I haven't 100% tuned in yet.

|

4/4/2018 3:21 AM

That scrape isnt too severe. Dont worry about it. Besides there are loads of riders that purposefully cut off bigger chunks of metal from their frames.

|

4/4/2018 6:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 6:34 AM

It's fine. I have worse dents on my Sunday.

|

4/4/2018 6:54 AM

I picked up a MadMain Charged Purple for $35.

Lunch is $35 in NYC.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/4/2018 7:06 AM

Scrape is fine. Even $35 is a good deal for hi ten stuff. You should probably give it a good thorough cleaning and checking, then immediately start saving for a full chromoly bike. Mongoose legion l100 is good, Eastern shovelhead is better (2018 model is not listed on eastern's site, just search around on ebay or albes or something, it exists though)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican