Wats wrong with it

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2013 3:36 PM

Okay so im putting my bike together and its really hard to turn it like the forks and steam are stiff an make a rubbing sound and are tight but if i losen the cap i have play whats wrong

|

Dream - Trans red BTM 8============================================>

9/19/2013 3:56 PM

You just tighten it enough that it spins free. Top cap first, then the side of the stem.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

9/19/2013 4:00 PM

motogrizz wrote:

You just tighten it enough that it spins free. Top cap first, then the side of the stem.

I do but it has a little play

|

9/19/2013 4:10 PM

Your bearings are shot then. Use your head.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

9/19/2013 4:14 PM

Not saying this is your issue but I had a We the people cream last year that the headset cups in the head tube were machined slightly offset from eachother, Caused the exact same thing, also made a loud crack every time the steertube hit the inside of the head tube on landing, even the smallest of hops.
Shop I bought it at verified it was visibly out, Distro refused to believe it, Machine shop checked and verified it, Distro still refused to believe it.
Defects can and do happen so check that, if your confident you are tightening everything properly.
Also this response is assuming you are using a new headset in a new frame, if not then check to be sure your bearings are in good condition and round.
Another thing to watch is if the headset cap is rubbing the top of the headtube.

|

9/19/2013 4:30 PM

Did you remember to put the compression ring in the top bearing before the cap?
http://www.danscomp.com/install/Integrated_Headset_Install.pdf

|

9/19/2013 6:28 PM

Make sure the compression ring fits it right, also make sure your bottom fork race is on & if it is, that the bearing spins on it & isn't rubbing anywhere.

Also check to see if the dust cover is rubbing your headtube at all

|

9/19/2013 6:33 PM

^sounds like the compression ring is missing, steerer tube would knock w/o it. Stem pushes down on the upper bearing causing the bind. Compression ring lets the stem push down (when tightened) on the inner bearing face instead of the whole bearing face. The inner bearing face needs to not be jammed to the outer bearing face via the stem.

|

United0Cult0

9/20/2013 5:24 AM

Ya i fixed it i forgot the race in the top bearing i was so tired yesterday i couldnt think straight

|

9/20/2013 10:04 AM

FITBMX77 wrote:

Ya i fixed it i forgot the race in the top bearing i was so tired yesterday i couldnt think straight

Haha at least it was something simple. Props for coming back and letting us know it was a simple mistake on your part. Most would never do that. smile

|

9/20/2013 10:11 AM

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me