Way behind the times...where to start on a new bike...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2019 8:25 AM

I can see I'm not the only one in this boat, I haven't spent a pile of time on a bike in probably 12-15 years, now that my son is getting into it, and the newest bike I have is almost 20 years old and has been 'ridden hard and put away wet', I have no idea where to even start now that I'm considering a new bike...I'm mid 30's, 5'5" 150lbs and have almost exclusively rode 20" I tried riding my son's 24" mtb and felt lost. I wouldn't saying I'm going to be hitting anything hard (ie park, flatland, dirt trails, etc) but definitely still playing around on any and all of the above...

I've had a bunch of bikes over the years, all were mid 90's to early 2000's gt/dyno compe, sbc trail boss, s&m holmes, dk general lee, and a poverty g-ride (from when dan's first started selling them). The only bike I kept over the years was the poverty (others got sold or stolen), and it's in tough shape, bottom tube has a dent/bend in it, crank arm is a little bent, back wheel has a warp to it, like I said, ridden hard and put away wet, the other bikes were all buy what I could find/afford at the time and put something together swapping out parts over time.

I guess my main question is where do I start? Are there any complete bikes that are worth spending the money on or is a custom build the way to go? Suggestions are welcome

|

7/17/2019 9:00 AM

for all around, I would recommend the dave mirra tribute bike. the forks already have brake mounts so the only thing you would need to buy is a front brake/cable/lever, and 2 more pegs.

https://www.albes.com/haro-mirra-pro-tribute-2017-BMX-bike/

|

fack off

7/17/2019 11:11 AM

Check out Craigslist for a used custom build on the cheap
|

7/17/2019 11:23 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

I thought about that one already, I looked at the 5 or so regions close to me and everything is either walmart junk or 20+ years old (sigh)

|

7/17/2019 11:30 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

nitsuj wrote:

I thought about that one already, I looked at the 5 or so regions close to me and everything is either walmart junk or 20+ years old (sigh)

Did you check Facebook Marketplace? They seem to have been garnering a larger percentage of local sales over Craigslist (around here anyway.

|

7/17/2019 11:37 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Did you check Facebook Marketplace? They seem to have been garnering a larger percentage of local sales over Craigslist (around here anyway.

Yeah, there was a lot of the same stuff, there were a few newer custom bikes in the $1000-1200 range, which isn't terrible, but it's not a steal either, I check both daily for new posts

|

7/17/2019 11:51 AM

Well either way, you’d be looking for things like chromoly metal. Compared to hi-ten steel or aluminum, chromoly is the best way to go in freestyle BMX. The frame, fork, and handlebar is where it matters most.

Also, sealed bearings. When it comes to the headset, bottom bracket, and front & rear hubs, sealed bearings outlast unsealed bearings completely and they’re much stronger.

Other members can give good options for good completes.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

7/17/2019 11:57 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Well either way, you’d be looking for things like chromoly metal. Compared to hi-ten steel or aluminum, chromoly is the best way to go in freestyle BMX. The frame, fork, and handlebar is where it matters most.

Also, sealed bearings. When it comes to the headset, bottom bracket, and front & rear hubs, sealed bearings outlast unsealed bearings completely and they’re much stronger.

Thanks! It's a whole new world now a days, I was thinking chromoly but didnt think about the bearings

|

7/17/2019 2:23 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Has anyone ever seen hi-ten cranks? Seems most all cranks are cromoly even on the lower end completes.

|

7/17/2019 3:53 PM

Be on the lookout for double wall rims too. Sunday, Kink, We The People make some great completes.

If you go the complete route you can get a decent bike to start off with then slowly play around with what feels good to you and the style of riding.

I came back to it after 25 years. Found a nice WTP complete and then started to change things up as I progressed. 2 1/2 years later I am riding a full custom that feels so much better than what I started with. Almost to the point that I am ready to start buying extra parts to have on hand down the road if they discontinue certain things.

|

7/17/2019 4:12 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

Be on the lookout for double wall rims too. Sunday, Kink, We The People make some great completes.

If you go the complete route you can get a decent bike to start off with then slowly play around with what feels good to you and the style of riding.

I came back to it after 25 years. Found a nice WTP complete and then started to change things up as I progressed. 2 1/2 years later I am riding a full custom that feels so much better than what I started with. Almost to the point that I am ready to start buying extra parts to have on hand down the road if they discontinue certain things.

Yeah I have Alex triple walls that took my years to put a warp in and it took a dirt jump/tree to do that

I’m at that point with thinking about a complete vs a custom build...i have never been happy with a complete in the past, the only one that stayed close was the g-ride which I bought as a beater bike when I was 15 since I was destroying bike parts on dirt jumps in the woods lol 20 years later I’m pretty sure I’m not going to get after it like I used to, thinking more and more makes me wonder if I should just build a bike for trails and some street fun and just roll with it

|

7/18/2019 5:23 AM

I did a fit mac complete when I fist came back. Wasn't bad. Changed the front rim and rode for a year with no issues

|

7/18/2019 7:48 AM

If you decide to go custom, let me know. I'll get you hooked up at a fraction of the cost. All my parts are in like-new or very good used condition.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/18/2019 10:05 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If you decide to go custom, let me know. I'll get you hooked up at a fraction of the cost. All my parts are in like-new or very good used condition.

thanks, you have quite the collection lol

|

7/18/2019 10:43 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Damn that’s a lot of parts

|