Wearing a "helmet"

Related:
Create New Tag

8/13/2019 11:41 AM

Its way more common to see people wearing helmets in 2019 rather than 20 years ago. The thing is though that there are non certified and certified helmets, and the non-c helmet are lighter, slimmer and cheaper than a cert helmet. Its still better to wear any helmet rather than nothing but in a hard crash non cert helmets won't do shit. Take for example scotty cramners crash... He was wearing a helmet but it was a uncert protec with just padding, so things could have been way different with a cert shell. I don't know if people just dislike how bulky a cert helmet is, or just don't care/know the difference.

|

Barends are for weenies

8/13/2019 12:24 PM

I thought Cranmer was wearing a certified helmet?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

8/13/2019 12:47 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I thought Cranmer was wearing a certified helmet?

I thought so too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/13/2019 12:55 PM

No he wasn't. It was just a salad bowl Protec.

|

8/13/2019 2:13 PM

When I start getting good at BMX, I'm definitely getting a full face helmet. Not going to take any risks, screw that.

|

8/13/2019 2:30 PM

Hmm I wonder if the shadow feather weight is certified

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/13/2019 2:31 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Hmm I wonder if the shadow feather weight is certified

Yeah it is

|

Barends are for weenies

8/13/2019 3:52 PM

Would a certified helmet in Scotty's case made a difference?? He went face first into the ground. Your neck can only move so much...

|

8/13/2019 4:33 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

Would a certified helmet in Scotty's case made a difference?? He went face first into the ground. Your neck can only move so much...

Yeah he still would have been injured, but I bet his helmet caved in, resulting in his forehead replacement

|

Barends are for weenies

8/13/2019 5:23 PM

bmxmanboy wrote:

Yeah he still would have been injured, but I bet his helmet caved in, resulting in his forehead replacement

Oh yeah! I forgot about that part of his injury. I ride with a S1 Lifer and I love it. Certified for low mutli-hits and 1 high impact.

|

8/13/2019 10:34 PM

It’s a shame that the certified helmets don’t feel anywhere near as nice to wear as the non certified ones (I’m keen to try the shadow featherweight though, so if anyone can fill me in with how that feels that would be great!) but even with this being the case, I still only wear a certified helmet because the non cert ones are as good as useless if you have a serious impact.

|

8/14/2019 1:15 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Scotty was definitely wearing a certified helmet. Hes doesnt have a head injury. Its a spinal injury.

I think you're thinking of Brett Banaseiwicz. He had an uncertified Protec skate helmet on if i recall for his crash and now has a brain injury.

|

8/14/2019 1:58 AM

meatXloaf wrote:

It’s a shame that the certified helmets don’t feel anywhere near as nice to wear as the non certified ones (I’m keen to try the shadow featherweight though, so if anyone can fill me in with how that feels that would be great!) but even with this being the case, I still only wear a certified helmet because the non cert ones are as good as useless if you have a serious impact.

Featherweight is awesome, really comfortable and once it's on it's easy to just forget about it as it's so light and fit's really nice

|

8/14/2019 4:52 AM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

bmxmanboy wrote:

That was to relieve pressure on his brain due to the impact. Gnarly slam to the melon = swelling on his brain. That's typically how they relieve pressure.

Helmet may or may not have been trashed, but I have heard of that method used for people who just concussed so hard their brain swelled with minimal damage to their helmet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/14/2019 7:40 AM

Triple Eight sweatsaver and shadow feather are my favorite

|

Barends are for weenies

8/14/2019 10:32 AM

meatXloaf wrote:

RumHam wrote:

Featherweight is awesome, really comfortable and once it's on it's easy to just forget about it as it's so light and fit's really nice

That’s good enough for me!

|

8/14/2019 10:36 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

U.P.O. wrote:

Scotty was definitely wearing a certified helmet. Hes doesnt have a head injury. Its a spinal injury.

I think you're thinking of Brett Banaseiwicz. He had an uncertified Protec skate helmet on if i recall for his crash and now has a brain injury.

Of all the guys who took career ending head injury it seemed like mad dog mentally was changed from his crash , the rest of the guys seem like they recovered mentally but physically couldn’t come back to where they where

|

8/14/2019 2:04 PM

I like helmets, I'll never ride without one. I feel naked without it.

|

8/14/2019 3:00 PM

U.P.O. wrote:

Scotty most definitely had a brain/head injury, hence the need for the craniectomy to relieve pressure on his edematous brain

|

8/14/2019 3:05 PM

bmxmanboy wrote:

Its way more common to see people wearing helmets in 2019 rather than 20 years ago. The thing is though that there are non certified and certified helmets, and the non-c helmet are lighter, slimmer and cheaper than a cert helmet. Its still better to wear any helmet rather than nothing but in a hard crash non cert helmets won't do shit. Take for example scotty cramners crash... He was wearing a helmet but it was a uncert protec with just padding, so things could have been way different with a cert shell. I don't know if people just dislike how bulky a cert helmet is, or just don't care/know the difference.

Bang on! Sorry to be boring, but I had a head trauma as a kid. I wasn’t doing anything that required a helmet, but nether the less I received a brain injury that has massively affected my whole life. I quite often say to people at skateparks get a lid mate, and occasionally someone will listen and do the right thing, but mostly I am making a nuisance of myself. I am however right, one knock on the bonce can change things forever. Wear a lid

|

8/15/2019 5:18 PM

I bought a Bell Local today. I had a Segment but it was way too hot. The Local has 10 vents and a better fit. It has a little wheel in the back to dial in the fit.
I was not wearing my helmet when it's hot out and the Local is cooler than wearing a hat with all the large vents.

|

8/15/2019 6:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2019 6:21 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Of all the guys who took career ending head injury it seemed like mad dog mentally was changed from his crash , the rest of the guys seem like they recovered mentally but physically couldn’t come back to where they where

Mirra tragically never recovered mentally...

|

8/15/2019 6:26 PM

I got a Bell local too and it seems OK in the heat.

I always try to buy white helmets too,so they don't get as hot in the sun. I think it makes a difference.

|

8/15/2019 7:16 PM

U.P.O. wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

SirCaseAlot wrote:

do you think a helmet would have helped ?

|

8/19/2019 5:48 AM

U.P.O. wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

SirCaseAlot wrote:

There was an interview with DMC about CTE and Mirra, and the discussion about CTE and what went down was really interesting. Seems that CTE might not have been the only thing going on/totally accurate for the ultimate cause leading to Mirra's death.

If CTE was the only cause, why wouldn't we have seen SO much more of that type of scenario out of the midschool vert era? I mean all of those guys have gotten WRECKED hundreds of times. Hoffman being a HUGE example, DMC as well. And if you dive into other impact sports like football, hockey, fighting etc, same thing. IF CTE was the main cause of that type of behavior change etc and lead to suicide so directly, it would be a LOT more common in high-profile sports.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/20/2019 4:11 AM

In my opinion wear a helmet. I almost lost my life when I was mountain biking one day(besides the point it was mtb).Anyway, I was wearing a reallllllly crappy certified bmx helmet but that doesnt matter. If it werent for even this really bad certified bmx helmet i would of died 100%. I now ride bmx and mtb (I now prefer bmx ) But just the thought of dying to something you could of prevented sickens me. Get a helmet if you want to live, do what you love and ride for longer.

|

8/23/2019 10:16 AM

I’ll only wear a certified helmet. Almost lost my life from not wearing a helmet, I’ll never make that mistake again. It’s sad to see so many people not wearing helmets. A bad crash can happen to anyone.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales