Wedge seat post - how the hell do you install one?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/4/2018 8:46 AM

So, I bought an animal wedge seatpost and I am trying to install it (with an eclat seat) onto a standard khe frame.

The problem is that I cannot tighten the bolt anymore (I've tighten it hard) and the seat is still moving and the seatpost is not secure...

What am I doing wrong?

I'm gonna strip the bolt is I continue sad

|

1/4/2018 9:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2018 9:26 AM

Find the measurements of the diameters of both the post and the seattube on the frame, that’ll give you the answer.

EDIT: Or tighten the thread properly on the post, that’s probably it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/4/2018 9:35 AM

Damn

The tube is 26mm and the seatpost 25mm sad

|

1/4/2018 10:13 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Damn

The tube is 26mm and the seatpost 25mm sad

Shim it with pieces from a soda can

|

Hmmm

1/4/2018 11:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2018 11:41 AM

The seatpost would be 25.4mm and the seattube would be slightly oversized, it's not supposed to be a press fit or anything. Also, it's a wedge post so you could actually get away with a pretty big difference. If it's still moving, crank it down more; that's how they're designed to work. If you're worried about rounding the bolt, get a better set of Allen keys...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/4/2018 11:46 AM

They make shims but I'm not exactly sure if they'd work with a wedge post. May be worth a try.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/4/2018 12:23 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

They make shims but I'm not exactly sure if they'd work with a wedge post. May be worth a try.

No need for them, with a wedge post you can get away with probably up to a 5mm difference. He's just not tightening it enough.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/4/2018 12:30 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

No need for them, with a wedge post you can get away with probably up to a 5mm difference. He's just not tightening it enough. ...more

I don't believe that's entirely true. At some point the bolt will hit the inside of the seat post, and the wedge won't be able to move any further and will strip if tightened any more. The last wedge post I dealt with only expanded enough to fit snug inside of a standard seat tube, I doubt it would work in a larger one, at least without some kind of shim.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/4/2018 12:40 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

No need for them, with a wedge post you can get away with probably up to a 5mm difference. He's just not tightening it enough. ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I don't believe that's entirely true. At some point the bolt will hit the inside of the seat post, and the wedge won't be able ...more

Every wedge post I've used or messed about with had more than enough "slack" to tighten into a 27.2 seattube and would probably fit even larger.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/4/2018 12:52 PM

Should have just left 2009 in 2009...

|

1/4/2018 1:30 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Lol

|

1/4/2018 4:47 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Never! (Low standover, loud cassette, split cap stem, lighter than fuck setup for life)

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

1/5/2018 6:26 AM

Just out of interest, how far into the seattube do you have the seatpost? Pictures?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/5/2018 9:38 AM

Hi guys!

I wasted a whole day with this, but I think I found the culprit.

The bolt will go all the way into the thread, but at the end of the thread the seat is not secured ... so is either I have too little thread in the seatpost, or the bolt is too long.

You can see this clearly in this pic, I can jiggle it around:
Photo

I'd have to clamp it down like this:
Photo

But that would mean a diameter of less than 25 mm and my seat tube is 25.5 or something like that (not 26 like previous thought) and the seatpost is 25.4 mm (not 25) which makes it imposible

Photo

I did try to make some shims out of tin cans ... but nothing worked
Photo

Photo

Not sure if you can figure out the length of the thread, but here is a pic
Photo

So I guess I'll have to cut down the bolt

Also, I've tried with the seatpost at the minimum required length, and all the way down.

And also, 2009 was a great year for me, I have a lot of happy memories from that period, but yeah, some things should better be left in the past. sad

|

1/5/2018 10:43 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Hi guys!

I wasted a whole day with this, but I think I found the culprit.

The bolt will go all the way into the thread, but ...more

So... you're trying to assemble it without the frame then? I'm genuinely confused. It has to be in the frame before you tighten it down.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/5/2018 11:07 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

So... you're trying to assemble it without the frame then? I'm genuinely confused. It has to be in the frame before you ...more

laughing

No, of course I tried with the frame laughing

But I already put in my old seatpost combo and took the pics after.

I'm 100% sure it's the bolt length.

I'll cut it tomorrow.
|

1/5/2018 3:54 PM

Took me a little bit but I figured it out finally. Your bolt is bottoming out on the bottom of the piece that pulls the wedge up right? If so then yeah cutting the bolt will probably be your best bet. Measure it first, youre gonna want to cut as little of the bolt as possible. Also grind the end down so that you dont have messed-up threads that cant initiate threading into the seat post.

My 2009 remark was a joke haha I'm still running 45/16 and Castillos on one of my bikes.

|

1/5/2018 5:01 PM

To be truthful. I would not even use it, It is working by spreading/ stretching the diameter of your seat tube and ovalizing the tubing.

|

1/5/2018 10:20 PM

Wish I had seen this yesterday, had the exact same problem with my eclat seat and there extra long bolts. But yeah, you shouldnt have to cut off much.

|

1/6/2018 4:22 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Took me a little bit but I figured it out finally. Your bolt is bottoming out on the bottom of the piece that pulls the wedge ...more

Yeah, that was the word I was looking for, bottoming out.
I'll thread it the wedge piece (so that I can have a better grip on it) and cut it with a handsaw. Thank god it's hollowed laughing

I know laughing
2009 feels like it was last week sad we are getting old

|

1/6/2018 4:23 AM

Beamex wrote:

Wish I had seen this yesterday, had the exact same problem with my eclat seat and there extra long bolts. But yeah, you ...more

Aha!
My seat is also Eclat, so I guess it's universal

|

1/6/2018 4:24 AM

Wayne S wrote:

To be truthful. I would not even use it, It is working by spreading/ stretching the diameter of your seat tube and ovalizing ...more

Does it have enough force to do that? blink

|

1/6/2018 5:31 AM

I bet your seat tube is internally butted, so the inside diameter is actually greater than where you're measuring it at the top. Does your frame have a built-in clamp? Is it designed for a traditional clamp? Or is it made without enough room for a clamp, for a wedge post?

|

1/6/2018 10:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I bet your seat tube is internally butted, so the inside diameter is actually greater than where you're measuring it at the ...more

I think you're right, because it slides easily once it gets through the top portion.

It is designed for a traditional clamp, it has that slit at the top.

You reckon I shouldn't use a wedge post if it wasn't designed for one?

|

1/6/2018 11:09 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I bet your seat tube is internally butted, so the inside diameter is actually greater than where you're measuring it at the ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

I think you're right, because it slides easily once it gets through the top portion.

It is designed for a traditional clamp, ...more

If it's internally butted, that could be why you're struggling to get it tight. I'd just use a traditional clamp, problem solved smile

|

1/7/2018 3:56 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

GCBMX69 wrote:

Never! (Low standover, loud cassette, split cap stem, lighter than fuck setup for life)

This

|