Weight Lifting & Bone Strength

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2013 7:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2013 10:11 PM

*(this is mostly meant to be informative.. I don't expect many replies. Good shit to know so I'm puttin it out there)*

Nobody wants to break a bone. It's probably one of the biggest hazards in riding BMX. Especially for freestyle riders who are out there jumping off things, grinding rails, flying off some dirt jumps.. It's all pretty risky business no matter what your riding level is. Broken bones are a very common thing.

Did you guys know lifting helps toughen up your bones? It's one of the ways to increase your bone density which will hopefully help withstand some of the force suffered from a harsh fall. That doesn't mean you have to turn yourself into some body builder behemoth to gain the benefits of lifting weights. You just have to keep yourself on a good routine. Here is an article that goes more into detail.

"Bone Cracks

When muscles lift weights they get microscopic tears in the muscle fibers. When these tears heal, the muscles get bigger and stronger. The bones react in a similar way to the lifting of weights. When the muscles pull on the bones and when the bones are compressed by weights, they get very small cracks in the bone structure. This happens on the microscopic level inside the bones. As long as the weight lifting is in moderation, this is not dangerous or painful. People who lift weights are completely unaware that it is happening."

"Secondary Bone Benefits

Lifting weights also protects your bones in unexpected ways. Weight resistance exercises make muscles stronger and improves balance. That makes it less likely that you will break a bone if you happen to fall down. Strong muscles protect the bones from damage in an impact. Improved balance also makes it less likely that you will fall down in the first place."

So how many of you guys already have a good weight training schedule? And for those that don't, does knowing that it can potentially help decrease the chances of breaking an arm or something, make you want to start one?

I think for the daily rider it's a must to maintain a strong skeleton and keep yourself in healthy riding condition. Do what you gotta do to stay on that bike longer!

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/28/2013 7:55 PM

i do crossfit 3 to 5 times a week and football like three times a week but up to 5 so i'm pretty fit. may be why i haven't broken a bone yet?

|

Two hundred years of American technology has unwittingly created a massive cement playground of unlimited potential.STREET DAWG. [url=http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/the-day-has-come,1274784]>BIKE CHECK HERE

3/28/2013 7:55 PM

So get to lifting!
|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/28/2013 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2013 8:01 PM

stopurdeadmate wrote:

i do crossfit 3 to 5 times a week and football like three times a week but up to 5 so i'm pretty fit. may be why i haven't broken a bone yet?

Probably. I played football for a couple years in high school too. Still got some weights and lift at least twice a weak. After eating shit and being knocked around all these years, I broke my first bone at age 20. I think I had a good run. If you have enough will to get yourself on a bike and ride then you have enough to at least do some pushups on a regular basis. In riding, theres nothing more important than protecting your body.

|

3/28/2013 8:02 PM

I lift a 15 pound dumbell for 90 reps

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

3/28/2013 8:04 PM

I can't lift, gaining muscle would make me lose my fem sex appeal : /

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/28/2013 8:16 PM

Four wrote:

I can't lift, gaining muscle would make me lose my fem sex appeal : /

At least then if you fall off your bike you can fall with the delicate grace of a ballerina dancer.

But seriously though at least stretch a lot if weights aren't your thing. It helps to be flexible... and that might actually compliment your 'fem-man' life style. cool

|

3/28/2013 8:20 PM

BMXism wrote:

At least then if you fall off your bike you can fall with the delicate grace of a ballerina dancer.

But seriously though at least stretch a lot if weights aren't your thing. It helps to be flexible... and that might actually compliment your 'fem-man' life style. cool

True that!

Yeah I do stretch some. I've always been flexible and my bones seem to be strong, I've never broke anything with pretty hard skating/bmx slams. But yes it would complete my fem-man/sissyboy whatever ya want to call it lifestyle. Already wear the girl pants wink

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/29/2013 5:29 AM

one thing you neglected to mention or maybe didn't think about is that actually riding your bike also creates microscopic fractures and will strengthen your bones just as much as weights. basically as long as you keep good and active then you'll be good.
but yeah weights and resistance training are really useful.

|

if in doubt, keep pedalling

3/29/2013 5:49 AM

well a improvement of my balance would be cool as due to having a hole in my right ear drum, i had to have the bone removed in my ear that helps with balance -_- but i do push ups and sit ups twice a week

|

Bruh