Weight loss

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2017 11:51 AM

I am 13 and my whole life I have been overweight. Just like any other overweight person, I've tried to lose weight but it never ended up working. Until I realized I wanted to become serious about bmx. May 15th of this year, I was about 155 pounds, 5ft 2 in. Currently I weigh about 138 pounds, and I'm 5 ft 3. I decided to lose weight because I knew I am not at my full potential with extra weight. But since June 25th of this year, I've been on a pretty strict diet and been doing a lot of cardio and just riding. My goal is probably around 120.But here are pics: Photo

|

7/26/2017 12:12 PM

Chase Lille wrote:

I am 13 and my whole life I have been overweight. Just like any other overweight person, I've tried to lose weight but it ...more

good for you kid but dont worry too much about diets and weight. just stay active and youll be fine

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

7/26/2017 12:33 PM

Chase Lille wrote:

I am 13 and my whole life I have been overweight. Just like any other overweight person, I've tried to lose weight but it ...more

alexnjbmx wrote:

good for you kid but dont worry too much about diets and weight. just stay active and youll be fine

Thanks. When I hit my goal though I'm probably gonna chill on the calorie counting but I'm not too worried as my dad used to be a bodybuilder and doesn't think I'm eating to little or dieting to strictly.

|

7/26/2017 2:01 PM

be active. stay active.

great job!

|

7/26/2017 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2017 2:05 PM

alexnjbmx wrote:

Honestly-ignore this, or at least take it with a grain of salt.

Coming from a guy who was never really "fat" until I followed that exact type of advice.

Make good food choices, stay healthy, and you won't have to worry as much. Staying active doesn't = healthy.

I was active for years, riding 5-10 hours DAILY on top of working 40+ hours a week, and I went to college for welding in there too, then worked in a welding facility where I was literally walking and running around my jig to weld things up, and moving them by hand (most of the parts were 300-500 lbs and I would move one end at a time to flip them etc). I graduated high school at 175 lbs. Not big by any means for my height of 6 feet tall.

A few months back I was 273. I gained 98 lbs (sure, some was muscle I'd bet) since then because I followed that path. I too am working on losing weight. It is a slow process, but keep at it and learn ways to make good food choices and you will be WAY better off.

Plus you will heal faster than if you eat like crap.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/26/2017 2:31 PM

Chase Lille wrote:

alexnjbmx wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Coming from a guy who was never really "fat" until I ...more

i get what you are saying, but hes only 13. he barely is hitting puberty. dont starve yourself or anything. just eat healthy and stay active. but dont count calories. thats so dumb. just eat healthy foods

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

7/26/2017 2:43 PM

Honestly at your age your test levels and hormones are gonna go thru the roof. My gf and I are both personal trainers and have educations in nutrition. Its all about calories in vs calories our vs calories burned. Simple enough right? My biggest advice is simply drink shit loads more water and stay away from pops etc. Dont be afraid of a 20piece but try not to find daily comfort in that type of food either. Instead eat some chicken breast and rice. America is plagued with shit food all around us. So its all about finding balance between staying healthy most of the time but dont be thinking one bad meal will kill months of progress either. Hope this helps. Again drink more water.

|

Yours truly, Ahren

7/26/2017 3:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2017 3:14 PM

alexnjbmx wrote:

i get what you are saying, but hes only 13. he barely is hitting puberty. dont starve yourself or anything. just eat healthy ...more

I get what you are saying as well, but everyone is different, for all we know his family could have a massive metabolism drop at 14, or other health concerns as a result. Besides, you never mentioned eating well until it was mentioned by others. You told him to just be active and he will be fine.

Just being active is NOT the best option-you could eat nothing but fast food and be active enough to burn the calories, but again, that will not make you healthy. Your cholesterol would be horrid, you would not get really any nutritional value, and you would likely become sick pretty easily. You would also heal slower. your likelihood of diseases goes up as well.

You want to make sure you make solid food choices, get the decent eating habits going now before you get stuck in a cycle of crap foods.

Just like the other guy said, don't be afraid of the occasional crap, but don't eat it all the time.

Counting calories actually helped me lose 27 lbs in 2 months-along with a a mild increase of activity. So calling it dumb is something I would avoid. It works for people. You also don't have to starve yourself when you count calories, it typically helps make you conscious of the things you eat, and you start making better choices. Instead of a 600 calorie little breakfast sandwich and a 250 calorie soda, you could eat an egg, tons of spinach, peppers, an apple, several strawberries, a banana, and some water and likely have calories left over when compared to the breakfast sandwich and soda. You would be WAY more full off the healthier choice, and it would be drastically better for you too.

Regardless, the kid made a change and it is clearly working for him. Good on you OP. Keep up the good work!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/26/2017 6:09 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Coming from a guy who was never really "fat" until I ...more

alexnjbmx wrote:

i get what you are saying, but hes only 13. he barely is hitting puberty. dont starve yourself or anything. just eat healthy ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

I get what you are saying as well, but everyone is different, for all we know his family could have a massive metabolism drop ...more

Thanks. People that I know have noticed and when I mentioned calorie counting they freak out, but for me it works. I'm only 5 3 ish and this may sound insane but I usually eat around 1100 calories which I will change when I am at my goal, but atleast 130 to 170 grams of protein (Greek yogurt and eggs without yolk and chicken). And no I'm not starving myself whatsoever I eat a lot it's just low calorie and super high in protein. But thanks to everyone for all of the support.

|

7/26/2017 6:13 PM

You may also be one of these people that just naturally thin out as you get older too. But never the less, keep on keeping on. BMX is great exercise. Also be more fit will greatly reduce your chances of injury not to mention you bike will feel easier to ride.

|

7/26/2017 8:30 PM

I lost about 60 pounds cause of bmx went from 240 to 180 in about a year. It's a great way to lose weight imo. Keep at it!

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

7/27/2017 1:46 PM

Awesome to see this is working out! Honestly, if you've been doing what you've been doing to help and it's working and you aren't suffering, keep doing it. Especially with a passion that is BMX in the mix, it'll make the process way more enjoyable. Everyone's different, when I started BMX at 13 I was 98 LBS, I'm 17 now and at 106. Riding is definitely making me a tad bit stronger and I think it's the main reason why I'm still healthy being surrounded by this American junk food that I try to stay away from as much as possible.

That being said, you got this. As stated above, smart food choices and water is key. Water is essentially nothing in calories and will fill you up at times.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/27/2017 4:44 PM

Chase Lille wrote:

Good job man!

I'm a personal trainer so if you want any free tips, ask away.

|

7/27/2017 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2017 7:53 PM

I was also overweight as a kid...when I was 12-17 I weighed in the mid 200's. This was in the early 80's when Fast Food Nation was just taking off. The BIGGEST thing that will help you is NOT counting calories, but making sure that what you putin your body is processed efficiently inside of it. This means avoid foods with saturated fat, lots of sugar, and that are prepared in non-olive oil oils. Pretty much EVERYTHING fried, and processed is bad for you.

You are NOT too young to understand and read labels, and learn about how your body processes food. I am 48. Just had my first heart attack, and also have Type 2 diabetes because I was a "slave to society" when I was younger and just ate what was put in front of me without knowing about it. I have to poke my self with needles now before every meal and at night because of my pancreas being ruined by the typical American diet. DO WHAT YOU CAN AT YOUR AGE TO AVOID THIS!!! IT is not fun.

Staying active, eating NORMAL portion sizes, being aware of what you put in your body, and eating IN BALANCE is going to keep you healthy and free. Avoid sodium (to prevent heart failure) and sweets (to prevent diabetes). Also, don't assume that "going vegan or vegetarian" is instantly healthy. Our bodies are set up to digest meat, grains and veggies/fruits. Denying ourself, or eating more of one type will put your body out of balance, and that is when bad things start happening.

Sorry for the "rant", but if I can help ANYONE to avoid what I go through now on a daily basis I am going to do it. Not that my life is a living hell...I am 48, still healthy enough (and lucky enough that my body is in good shape) to ride BMX and Mountain Bikes almost on a daily basis. I play hockey once a week still. I play in 2 rock bands, and love my job. In the past 5 years I went from weighing 305 pounds down to 196 right now. This is a direct result of staying active, and learning how to eat correctly. I never counted calories, but learned about how my body works on a physiological level, and how food works when it is broken down. I learned how to make my eating more efficient for my body. THAT is when the pounds started flying off...AND, I also did not have to "suffer" and just eat lettuce and water. I also NEVER have drank, smoked, or done drugs.

Keep riding, and be aware!!!!

Don't eat like a typical American. Question everything and educate yourself!!!

Punk rock!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/28/2017 5:54 PM

skateparks are great excersize as long as youre willing to snake everyones runs. taking turns is for miniramps!

|

In midschool bike rides you.

7/28/2017 7:32 PM

I definitely get a work out at the skatepark...sometimes more than on my mountain bike depending on what I am doing.

At the parks around here, scooter kids are the ones who don't take turns...and it is freaking annoying. I usually go after dinner when mommy and daddy don't let them out, or real early in the morning. to me, the best park is an empty park.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/29/2017 4:51 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I was also overweight as a kid...when I was 12-17 I weighed in the mid 200's. This was in the early 80's when Fast Food Nation ...more

He is 150% right and in reality if you know that a problem is around...it never hurts to find your BMI (body mass index, Google that term). Then not counting calories but watching the amount of good calories you eat over the bad. Meaning cookies/cakes/candies/general junk food over fish/steak/chicken/turkey and veggies. Can have huge advantages to both your health and energy levels compared to eating a bunch of premade things. Anything fresh you have to cook is probably in more cases than not better for you than prepackaged microwave or takeout

|

7/29/2017 12:28 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I was also overweight as a kid...when I was 12-17 I weighed in the mid 200's. This was in the early 80's when Fast Food Nation ...more

food is a drug and it nearly killed you.

|

7/29/2017 12:54 PM

counting calories helped me. mostly for portion control. but my diet would consist of fruits veggies and lean proteins. The calorie app on my phone helped me keep a good balance of good fats carbs and protein.

|

7/29/2017 7:12 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

pnj wrote:

food is a drug and it nearly killed you.

I know man. I was unfortunately not given the choice and became "a food junkie" before I had any control in the matter (we all are....it happens to us when we are an infant). Growing up in the Midwest in the 70's and 80's, all I knew of food was freaking HUGE portions of very fatty meats, potatoes and really overcooked vegetables (which is why it took me 45ish years to discover that vegetables actually could have taste). Lots of breads, and then more HUGE portions of desserts...the typical American diet. Fast food replaced the home cooked meals in my teens and then all through college and my mid-life.

I am definitely a recovering Crap Food-a-holic, but man am I glad I am on this side now. I really have never felt cleaner, more physically ready to do stuff, and honestly, I have really changed mentally. I am very calm now, and my mental outlook has really mellowed out. They say that ingesting the proper nutrients in the right balance do have a "dopamine" like effect on the brain.

Sometimes it just takes a big kick in the ass to change...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/30/2017 10:08 AM

I'm not a licensed trainer but I'm fitter, faster and more agile than a lot of trainers and I can prove it too. I know this because I used to date one and ive actually done it and have results they don't to support it.
The first thing you should know is that if you burn fat, it won't stay on your body. So it comes to burning more than you're eating.. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have to drown myself in sugars at times to get out of hypos but still I'm Fit af.
The key is
1. I don't diet. I eat moderately and I eat mostly fresh food. Very little bagged or processed foods.
2. Do high intensity cardio. I see people at the gym who run for 1.5 hrs a day and hardly lose weight or get strong. Beause they're working but not hard. The longer your heart stays at it's, breaking point, the faster you'll see results. Many people don't get results from cardio cuz they avoid the hard work part. High intensity gets your heart to its fatigue point fast, then just hold it there as long as you can and repeat. After 40mins you'll have accomplished more
Than most ppl at the gym do in 2 days. Try it and you'll get the kind of results i get.
3. The final and most difficult part is commitment. I've seen many people
Start and stop shortly after because it's hard work. But hard work gets hard results and most people give up before they see them. Stick with it or you'll never succeed and end up like those unfit people wth gym memeberahips who go everyday and only workout 30 percent and wonder why they're still gaining weight.
I don't work out much anymore... just bmx these days but I still have my figure and speed and agility cuz I put in the hard work years ago and I KNOW that you can too.
Good luck!

|

8/1/2017 8:58 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

I'm not a licensed trainer but I'm fitter, faster and more agile than a lot of trainers and I can prove it too. I know this ...more

Thanks. And yeah that's what I've been doing is burning a total of 500 calories a day on an elliptical in about 30 mins so it's pretty high intensity.

|

8/2/2017 9:59 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

I'm not a licensed trainer but I'm fitter, faster and more agile than a lot of trainers and I can prove it too. I know this ...more

Chase Lille wrote:

Thanks. And yeah that's what I've been doing is burning a total of 500 calories a day on an elliptical in about 30 mins so ...more

Lift weights and stop eating junk

You're not fat anyway I don't know why all you kids are so self conscious

|