Weight saving (they all add up)

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2015 12:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 12:51 PM

Hi guys, soon I'm going to be trying to build up the lightest bike possible that will be just for cruising around on and light street( manuals, 180's, messing around on grass banks and foot jamming sub box's)

Before I try and get a list of all the lightest parts on the market today, I'm just trying to get some ideas/modifications on how to skimp weight, so far...

Cut axles flush( obviously Allen key ones are better)

Cut seat post( mine is literally 1" long) possibly going to make it shorter and drill holes in the post and under seat.

Cut fork steerer tube down so it sits 3/4 flush with stem.

BB tube spacer, is this needed?

Cut, trim and smoothen dropouts on frame and forks

Cut down Drill holes into plastic barends( or better yet remove completey, are they needed?

Remove flange of grips, feels better on thick soft grips with big bars

Once headset is tight and stem is attached to fork tight, remove fork top cap ( is this wise or is it needed?)

Please throw some ideas up? This is not a troll btw even tho it may seem it

|

8/16/2015 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 1:00 PM

yes a bb spacer is needed or the bearings will explode. yes you need bar ends because bars are fucking cookie cutters when you fall on them. removing the compression cap on forks is a stupid idea.

why is it people want a light damn bike i thought we were over this crap? if your bike is 25 pounds right now or 26 without pegs YOUR GOOD! congradulations your bike is the LIGHT END of all the bmx bikes in the world! no need to try and make it much lighter...

you want weight saving- Titanium and alluminum axles spindles, hallow titanium bolt kits use race tires, titanium spokes on 32h 2 cross carbon fiber rim laced wheels with a BOX carbon seatpostseatcombo with the cutouts on the seat.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/16/2015 1:03 PM

Hi not to judge you but I don't think a be spacer is needed I've been running without one a year now and my bearings seem fine, frames come with them built in for the outer rings

|

8/16/2015 1:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 1:06 PM

You dont need a forks compression bolt if its so light street riding, but its good to have one.
you NEED Barends. your bars will mess up without.: Kink lightest
Odyssey PC pedals
small bars
Racing stem
full link chain
TI spokes
single walled rims ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° ) if u wanna die
Eastern Burnout tires
Racing tubes if you wana die again
raw everything
an FBM frame

just don't drill holes in stuff for heavens sake

Light bikes are kinda funny for cruising to me

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

8/16/2015 1:30 PM

Do you know than with all the shits you remove, you had win something like the weight of ONE peg !

|

8/16/2015 1:46 PM

Ride a scooter. There. This bike will be about as worthless as one.

|

8/16/2015 2:09 PM

plastic stump seat post

|

8/16/2015 2:16 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys,

I'm going to be setting up a website soon with all the latest products and in weight order,

I want to eventually set up my company Light Bike co and be known for making the lightest parts, and just start with simple products where weight doesn't sacrifice strength, i.e seat & post combo

|

8/16/2015 2:17 PM

Obviously just need to research the market abit first, also want to make a web/app bike weight calculator, where you put in the parts and will give you the weight

|

8/16/2015 2:25 PM

Get an aluminum race frame, run 20x1.25 rims. Aluminum bars. Chromo race fork, composite stump seat post. PC pedals, PC barends, PC tioga spider seat. With a pressfit BB, aluminum cranks, titanium spindel. 3/32 gearing, a front chainwheel (not a sprocket), race chain, and all titanium hardware. Race tubes, and kevlar bead racing tires.

^you can 180 that still, and live.

|

8/16/2015 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 2:27 PM

It's pretty easy to make a light bike now. I had a fly tierra from 2008 that weighed 19.8ish lbs. My s3.5 weighed around 20-21 and this wasn't even with stuff like khe tires, any titanium, the alienation rims that weigh 10 oz, cut bars or forks or anything so I assume you could make it even lighter with all that stuff.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/16/2015 3:15 PM

This company won't be legit till it makes hubs with a magnesium shell with titanium internals , and that'll be the day the company will die , not enough market out their to make money , youl spend more producing it then you will sell

|

8/16/2015 3:25 PM

It's easy to do. Just get all the lightest stuff, Laird frame with the lightest stuff and the geo you want, Tubeless tire system, ti spoke G-sport nipples, Demo Elite forks, Shadow Vultus bars. stem, drill a hole in it and get Ti bolts, keep the fork cap, it's weight savings are not worth the struggle.

Profile cranks with Ti spindle, premium slim pc sealed, tree sprocket, profile elite hubs all ti, slim seat, plastic if you don't care, drill a few smaller holes in the seat tube of your custom frame, cut holes in the crossbar of the frame, no wider than a cigarette and not too many! no pegs, maybe some more shit like that.

thats about as light as you should ever or could ever dream and still be rideable in the freestyle world. It's pretty dumb though.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/16/2015 4:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 4:18 PM

Stop being a weak ass little bitch boy weight wennie punks ass kid only little girls only care about there weight ride like a man stop being pussycat hope your bike break and you break some bones. Kids this days

|

8/16/2015 5:45 PM

Like Four said it's easy to make a light bike nowadays. Even some completes are coming in around 22-23 pounds.Tip: A freestyle scooter weighs like 10 pounds should be light enough

|

8/16/2015 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 6:47 PM

If you can't throw around a 25-ish pound bike, your bike isn't the problem. You're wasting your time trying to find an excuse to blame, other than realizing the fact that you're weak. You need to start working out as well as riding and developing your technique for each individual trick, and with more practice it will seem like nothing. Freestyle bikes used to weigh 40lbs, but if you're this worried about saving half a pound, I'm assuming you're not old enough to remember that time period. Yes, you can go extremely light with every single part, but you're sacrificing alot of strength for a little weight gain, making it far more likely for something to break and possibly injure yourself on top of having to pay for new parts. Stop being a bitch about it and man up, plain and simple. You want light parts, buy a race bike and get on a track laughing

|

8/17/2015 6:04 AM

Here, pegs and a gyro and 19lbs, only way to beat it is to remove the pegs and brakes

http://www.vitalbmx.com/features/Daniel-Dhers-Q-A-Off-Specialized-New-Custom-Frame,4292

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

8/17/2015 8:31 AM

Cut axles flush( obviously Allen key ones are better) -I hope you don't want pegs.

Cut seat post( mine is literally 1" long) possibly going to make it shorter and drill holes in the post and under seat. -Make sure there is enough to be clamped properly-usually half way down the top tube at a minimum is a good level.

Cut fork steerer tube down so it sits 3/4 flush with stem. -Make sure you are at a minimum middle of the top clamping bolt (or higher) to avoid ovalization of the steer tube.

BB tube spacer, is this needed? If you don't have one, you can overtighten bearings wearing them out faster.

Cut, trim and smoothen dropouts on frame and forks VOID WARRANTY AND POSSIBLY WEAKEN IT

Cut down Drill holes into plastic barends( or better yet remove completey, are they needed? If you don't want to fall and be stabbed by a bar they are.

Remove flange of grips, feels better on thick soft grips with big bars. Personal preference.

Once headset is tight and stem is attached to fork tight, remove fork top cap ( is this wise or is it needed?) Bad idea, if your stem bolts break, your bars fall off. They can break (I've seen it happen).

Please throw some ideas up? This is not a troll btw even tho it may seem it- I think this is not entirely true, or you just truly have absolutely no idea what you are doing. Why not take one axle nut off each wheel too?

But if you really think this is a way to "make it lighter", it IS, however it is only a few ounces or so you would shave, and potentially make your bike extra dangerous. Get lighter tires, thin tubes, and lighter wheels. Plastic seat. Plastic thin pedals. No brakes. No pegs. That's the best way to do it. Also throw down on Ti and other parts that are light.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/17/2015 9:07 AM

Thanks for the advice, what are the lightest tyres and tubes avaliablle atm?

|

8/17/2015 9:08 AM

LightBikeCo wrote:

Thanks for the advice, what are the lightest tyres and tubes avaliablle atm?

maxxis

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

8/17/2015 9:25 AM

My new Company LightBikeCo™ is going to be at the forfront in lightness innovation, we are going to research and devolped products lighter than any other products on the market atm "less is more" is our motto.

First few products are going to be

Feather grips

Lightest grips avaliable no bobbly ends or flanges, yet soft nice compound grip feather pattern embossed onto them. (With the lightest hollow barends avaliable a lot shorter recommend to glue them in and drilled out to fuck)

Potty seat combo

This is going to be the lightest seat avaliable on the entire cycle market, and to all purposes will possibly be recommend as a show seat only

1cm long post(drilled out with super glue groves)
Small seat drilled out no frame holding it up light soft material over no cushioning.

More products to follow and website

|

8/17/2015 9:27 AM

Stop looking for the lightest stuff.

You won't get the things you want, they will be too heavy.

Make them by yourself!

I also aspire to have the lightest bike.

I have designed a new crank and interface, will be much more lighter, will get it made by the machine shop hopefully before school X) Cant wait X)

Get Titanium and alu parts. Weld up an 2024-T3 (or a 6061-T6 if you don't want oxidation problems) bar, get nylon spacers and seat post from LPS Bikes. From the same, get the rIckers? set. Convert tires to tubeless. Cut holes in hub shells. Use a belt drive. ETC!!! LIMITLESS! It's the same sort of people, you and me, that reduced those 40lps frames to what they are now!

Less weight equals less stress on body equals longer time riding!

Im not in weight saving for better tricks, I'm in weight savings so that i can ride my bike at 90 yrs or age.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

8/17/2015 9:28 AM

what makes our products stand out from the rest of the industry is our secret material

Photo

Lighter then plastic and carbon fiber, think of it as a mix between paper mashé and fine film plastic

|

8/17/2015 9:30 AM

LightBikeCo wrote:

what makes our products stand out from the rest of the industry is our secret material

Photo

Lighter then plastic and carbon ...more

aka dog shit

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/17/2015 9:34 AM

Make your parts. Then we'll see if it works.

I seriously hope this is not a scam, I am getting excited. Don't beat me to this, its what I dedicate a part of life for.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

8/17/2015 9:44 AM

Lightest grips. This is officially the most laughable idea I've heard of.

|

8/17/2015 9:46 AM

No it's not a scam genuine, I'm throwing some money behind this because I believe their is a big market out their for this. Just need to do the research a little bit more, maybe get on kickstarter too, then once the foundations are set get patenting all the parts, get a good set of smooth riders for our team, atm I'm litreally finding the lightest of every single part to make a simple bmx then I'm going to purchase each of these individual parts and go over them, how can make them lighter where can drill ect.

|

8/17/2015 9:47 AM

LightBikeCo wrote:

My new Company LightBikeCo is going to be at the forfront in lightness innovation, we are going to research and devolped ...more

Lightest in all the cycle market?

Unless you can beat this that claim is invalid.

Grip weight is so minimal it wouldn't cause much affect. Plus, in order to lighten them, you have to remove material. I hope they will be cheap, because they will wear out annoyingly fast.

A CM long seatpost? What will it clamp to? Oh, you plan to GLUE IT IN?! Well that will break right off on a single slipped pedal. Seems pointless if they are "show only" products. Why put all that time and R&D into a part that no one will buy due to a lack of functionality?

You would be removing all durability REQUIRED for a freestyle bike.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/17/2015 9:50 AM

Danscomp > lightest parts > click > order

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/17/2015 10:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2015 10:26 AM

Oh look, here is a site that has the picture you posted EXACTLY. So your company is the University of California Irvine? Huh, I wasn't aware that the CEO of that college was a younger guy who rides BMX and lives in Europe!

http://inhabitat.com/scientists-develop-worlds-lightest-metal-100x-lighter-than-styrofoam/worlds-lightest-metal-2/

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura