Weight weenie & bike weights...?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2016 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2016 1:05 PM

If built with the right parts and weight in mind...how light can a person get their bmx bike to be...?

Whats the average weight of your 'typical' 20.50 - 20.75 custom street/park bmx bike...?

If the difference is minimal or within 1 pound or less...Than I guess its just 'splitting hairs' and therefore weight isn't as much an issue...right...?

Can anyone out there vouch for being a weight weenie and therefore confirm that having a light bike does in deed have a positive effect on feel / responsiceness, tricks and performance (light bike = less fatigue = able to ride longer/harder)...?

|

11/9/2016 1:53 PM

My bike is around 23 with two steel pegs on and is a 20.8 frame. Being honest it feels almost too light compared to some of my friends bikes. I would just go with the strongest parts you can get and not worry about weight.

|

11/9/2016 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2016 4:33 PM

1. Ricky Veronick has a 13.44 LBS setup that he throwns down on. We're talking 360 triple whips, cash rolls, and basically every park trick out there.

2. My bike is 23.5 LBS. No pegs, gyro and brake.

3. Weight means nothing, just ride.

4. It's true for some people. I prefer my bike semi-light like how it is now. I began (and still ride) on a scooter, so I like sort-of-light feels to what I ride.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/9/2016 5:09 PM

readybmxer wrote:

1. Ricky Veronick has a 13.44 LBS setup that he throwns down on. We're talking 360 triple whips, cash rolls, and basically ...more

Ricky's bike is constantly breaking on him to though

|

11/9/2016 5:32 PM

I like a light bike. I think 22-23 is perfect. I ride only park and can't ride heavy ass bikes.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/9/2016 6:03 PM

My bike is 29lbs with 2 titanium pegs, 30lbs with chromoly pegs. I have a 21" frame. A guy I know has a setup with a 21.25" frame and his bike weighs around 23-24lbs.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

11/9/2016 11:04 PM

Geometry is more important. A heavy bike could still be easier to do things on than a light bike with different geometry. Plus a light bike can feel less stable. And are generally weaker (less material will inherently give it weak spots)
I'd say about 24lbs is about average these days, I think that's roughly what mine weighs with no pegs or brakes

|

11/10/2016 3:18 PM

21", 33 or 34lbs

|

11/10/2016 4:09 PM

I have a 21" frame 2 plastic pegs, no brakes, heavy duty tubes and it's 26.2 lbs. It's because I'm used to my bike when I ride lighter bikes they just feel too sketchy when I try tricks because they're so easy to whip around. I think it's important to find a good weight to balance between light and heavy

|

11/10/2016 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2016 8:12 PM

im a weight weenie

my bike hoovers from 21-22 lbs
-20.75 mostly a park bike but i still ride street on it.
-kept my brake mounts on the bike and a set of the quickly install-able odsy springfields in my truck (and a helmet) for whenever i hit the trails. i have front brake mounts but never really use them :0
-sometimes no pegs, usually two plastic pegs for coping grinds, sometimes a thin, worn down shadow little one that is damn near lighter than my plastic pegs because it is so worn down and tiny, a little scary for slipping out on feebles
-i do run a railed s&m seat because it is the only seat i can comfortably ride. but if i know ill be driving my bike around instead of pedaling, ill switch to a tiny combo seat-post thats like half if not a third of the weight

WHEELS! rotational weight is so noticable when i accelerate!
-double butted spokes were fine when i had 48h rims but since i switched to 36h the spokes break way more often. really, you save about an oz using db spokes and only gain an oz by adding 12more spokes to your wheel. i truly believe 48 db spokes is stronger than having 36 straight guage spokes
-i run a birdcage in the rear, i believe in gsport
-i run a super light race rim in the front. it has been fine for a year till my hub fucked up, just need to keep your spokes tight
---since my front wheel shit the bed ive been running generic unsealed araya front wheels off walmart bikes. theyre much lighter than the hub/rim combos off most everyones bikes from customs to completes. i get them for like 5bux at bikeshops that have used stuff in stock. when the bearings shit the bed after 6months, i buy another.
-thin racing tires! big monster truck tires are not only heavy as hell (2x or more heavier than mine) but they are also slow as hell! cons: they tend to tear and bubble easily and i do get flats way more often then my buddies but its worth it to me

most the rest of my stuff is normal.
slam bars, odsy forks, twombolts,
-jcpc's arent too much heavier than plastic pedals and after 6 years the spindles have not bent. most plastic pedal spindles seem to bend way out of shape after 6 months
-kmc z510hx is about 15bux and i buy a new one every year or so.
-frontload stems seem to be about an oz lighter than topload stems from the same company

I hear the layers of paint on a bike add up to a couple oz's so i stripped off my paint
...but then littered it with stickers :p

my bike is super easy to toss around even when im tired or drunk. i imagine im less likely to pull muscles with less wieght to yank on. lighter easier acceleration is probably better for my weak old man knees. im definitly a lot smoother at riding than years ago still, tho i must say i am riding bigger and better than i ever have been, i aint scared to land to flat smile
and guess what. i havent broken parts in years. actully i just cracked my 4.5lb frame... after 6 years of use

|

wallride a bus everyday

11/11/2016 9:14 AM

I don't go around weighing Bikes, but from what I've seen and weighed already, 22lbs for a bike wth pegs and a FC is a dream. anywhere between 23 and 25 with pegs is a fair weight, getting it below that means getting Titanium parts and lighter parts that usually aren't stronger. (I rode those 28oz Demolition Forks for a bit and they felt real flexy on nose tricks and fast landings). I had my 4.9lb Villicus with 3pegs and Gyro at just past 25lbs so I'd say 22-24 with pegs you're in the light range but lower than that you'll have to get some unusually light parts.

|

11/11/2016 11:28 AM

hit the gym

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

11/11/2016 11:54 AM

my bikes 22lbs with no pegs, no brakes, and most the time i throw pegs on literally just to add weight

|