Weinmann wheels

Related:
Create New Tag

11/20/2017 10:14 AM

Has anyone on here had any experience with Weinmann wheels? My lbs has hardly anything in stock, but is very adamant about these wheels. The shop caters mostly to mtb riders, and I can find review for Weinmann mtb wheels, but nothing for bmx.

|

11/20/2017 10:21 AM

They've been around, making wheels in the bicycle industry forever. I can't say I have ever heard anything about their BMX wheels tho. Check the specs. Are they double walled rims? Are they pinned? Welded? Pinned & Welded? What kind of hubs? What size axles? Sealed bearings? Are they their name brand hubs or aftermarket hubs? What sort of driver do they have?

|

11/20/2017 10:30 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

They've been around, making wheels in the bicycle industry forever. I can't say I have ever heard anything about their BMX wheels tho. Check the specs. Are they double walled rims? Are they pinned? Welded? Pinned & Welded? What kind of hubs? What size axles? Sealed bearings? Are they their name brand hubs or aftermarket hubs? What sort of driver do they have?

They are a double wall wheel, and claimed to be pinned and welded (is there a way to verify that?). The "in house" brand of hub they keep referring me to are Black-Ops hubs. From what I can find on them, they are just a small step above your entry level hub, but still keep a loose-ball bearing with a 14mm axle. Not sure on the driver.

|

11/20/2017 10:39 AM

If they have loose-ball bearings I would not buy those wheels... just find a nice pair of wheels becasue wheels are something you don't necessarily want to cheap out on becasue you'll end up spending more in the long run....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/20/2017 10:43 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If they have loose-ball bearings I would not buy those wheels... just find a nice pair of wheels becasue wheels are something you don't necessarily want to cheap out on becasue you'll end up spending more in the long run....

I really should have worded this better when originally posting. I was looking for more information on the Weinmann rim, rather than the complete wheel itself. The prices on the rims themselves are pretty attractive, and they seem like they would be tough. Thought I might have stumbled on a little find.

|

11/20/2017 10:49 AM

They are just some regular budget double walls. I had one, and it wasn't that great. Is it the dm30? Because that rim definitely isn't welded.

|

11/20/2017 11:20 AM

They're nothing special. A few years ago weinmann made good rims but now they're just generic. No one would really put a good rim on a bad hub, so that answers your questions really. If the hubs aren't sealed, don't buy the wheels

|

11/20/2017 11:53 AM

All good info, thanks guys!

|

11/20/2017 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2017 12:27 PM

I wouldn't be too trusting of any shop that "swears by" or is adamant about what you should put on your bike.

I had a shop do a quick adjustment on my rear wheel once and the guy kept hammering "well you have redline chain tensioners, how about buying an entire redline bike?" and I'm like...standing there staring at my fully built bike. I'm good, dude, just need a quick adjustment.

Not pushing either way, but like someone up there said, don't cheap out on wheels. I have a $300 Primo 7 series rear wheel and that thing is solid as a rock, and I'm fat as hell.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/20/2017 7:25 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I wouldn't be too trusting of any shop that "swears by" or is adamant about what you should put on your bike.

I had a shop do a quick adjustment on my rear wheel once and the guy kept hammering "well you have redline chain tensioners, how about buying an entire redline bike?" and I'm like...standing there staring at my fully built bike. I'm good, dude, just need a quick adjustment.

Not pushing either way, but like someone up there said, don't cheap out on wheels. I have a $300 Primo 7 series rear wheel and that thing is solid as a rock, and I'm fat as hell.

This this this sometimes shops will really push their bs on you. I had one shop that I used to chill in for whatever reason super fanboy about Primo rims then I continued chilling their and found out it was cause he had a plug for cheap primo rims lmao Weinmann is kinda bunk

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

11/22/2017 3:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2017 3:23 AM

I had some on a cheap complete I bought back in the early 2000's. They held up decent The bearings went before anything else did. They were 48h. I always wondered, is 48h single wall or 36h double stronger? Weight? Seems like I didn't f_ck up many 48h compared to 36h. Off topic,sorry.

|

11/22/2017 4:58 AM

Stixxs wrote:

I had some on a cheap complete I bought back in the early 2000's. They held up decent The bearings went before anything else did. They were 48h. I always wondered, is 48h single wall or 36h double stronger? Weight? Seems like I didn't f_ck up many 48h compared to 36h. Off topic,sorry.

Depends on the rim, but a 48 hole single wall is probably stronger than some 36 double walls, but probably weaker than most decent, like $60+ modern rims.

|