Weird Chain Issue

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2017 3:31 PM

So I go to spin my cranks after getting my chain and rear wheel back on and the chain is getting tight as hell at one point and loose as shit at another point in the rotation. Anyone know wtf is going on here?

|

1/17/2017 3:36 PM

Couple issues could be the problem here.

Is your sprocket bent? Check that when you spin it. Even if it looks bent, it could just be because you tightened the sprocket bolt first, THEN the crank bolts. Loosen everything up, tighten the crank bolts, THEN tighten the sprocket bolt. Also make sure your sprocket adapter is installed, that would cause problems too.

Also if your chain is old, it could be worn unevenly.

Check those things first

|

1/17/2017 3:36 PM

That's called a tight spot, either your sprocket is bent or your chain is stretched in one part of it. Looks like it's time for either a new chain or sprocket. To find out if it's your sprocket, you can try laying it flat on the floor or something and you will see if it's bent if it isn't complete flush to the floor or whatever you layed it on. If it's completely flat and flush, then it's your chain and either you find the part of the chain that is stretched and replace it with links or buy a new one. Hope this helped you.

|

1/17/2017 3:41 PM

Thanks guys I'll check and see whats up.

|

1/17/2017 10:52 PM

Yup, could definitely be a sprocket issue. Same exact problem you've got here happened to me. When the left pedal was forwards, my chain had a decent wobble, but when the right pedal was forwards, goodbye, back-pedaling. Listen to everything above and you'll locate the issue.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/18/2017 6:30 AM

This is why when you replace your chain, you replace your sprocket too. They wear with each other over time if that makes any sense.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/18/2017 7:42 AM

I had this problem once. New chain, new sprocket, new back wheel, new frame...all that didn't solve it. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. I eventually got spline drives which fixed it but I dealt with it for over 2 years haha

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

1/18/2017 7:56 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I had this problem once. New chain, new sprocket, new back wheel, new frame...all that didn't solve it. Sometimes it's just ...more

There is no way that if EVERYTHING was bought at the same time BRAND NEW that it would happen.

|

1/18/2017 10:10 AM

^ yes there is.

The issue isn't the chain. The issue is the sprocket isn't centered on the spindle. If the hat washer doesn't fit perfectly or the sprocket is JUST tilted a tad on the cranks, you get tight spots in your chain.

|

1/18/2017 1:38 PM

pnj wrote:

^ yes there is.

The issue isn't the chain. The issue is the sprocket isn't centered on the spindle. If the hat washer ...more

Who said he was using a hat washer?

|

1/18/2017 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2017 2:52 PM

pnj wrote:

^ yes there is.

The issue isn't the chain. The issue is the sprocket isn't centered on the spindle. If the hat washer ...more

Yep, I've had this happen.

If I remember right, I had the problem after tightening the sprocket to the crank arm, THEN putting it on the spindle and tightening everything down.... it would always be slightly crooked.

So, I tried tightening the whole crankset setup onto the frame, then tightening the sprocket bolt last, and it worked fine.

|

1/18/2017 3:48 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I had this problem once. New chain, new sprocket, new back wheel, new frame...all that didn't solve it. Sometimes it's just ...more

bmxrider000 wrote:

There is no way that if EVERYTHING was bought at the same time BRAND NEW that it would happen.

Could be a poorly machined sprocket. That would cause it. Could be a bad link on the chain (can easily happen). Could be that someone tightened things in the wrong order.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/19/2017 3:41 AM

Well guys, I gave everything a look over. The sprocket isn't bent but I did notice one of the teeth has its point chipped off. Don't know how big a deal that is but I don't think it's whats causing the issue. I do use a hat washer but it looks fine. I'm guessing it's the chain since I had to add some links recently to get it to fit this new frame I'm riding.
I adjusted the wheel in the dropout so it's not super tight at the "tight spot" anymore and went out to try riding it. It rides but when I push down hard on my drive side pedal it feels like I'm not getting full torque. I hear a weird noise and it feels like it doesn't even have a chain on for a split second. When I don't put down much force to pedal it rides just fine so idk...maybe I should try a new chain? Should I get a new sprocket while I'm at it?

|

1/19/2017 7:40 AM

rgm19000 wrote:

Well guys, I gave everything a look over. The sprocket isn't bent but I did notice one of the teeth has its point chipped off. ...more

Well, if you're mashing down on the pedal and not moving off as fast/strong as you should, you probably have bigger issues than your chain! But if you're wheel spins fine and your driver catches and seems in order, I'm sayin' it's just all in your head! tongue

Can you describe the noise?

Sag/slack in the chain will definitely give you the I-don't-have-a-chain feeling. Think about it. When there's slack in the system, you have to turn that slack into tension before you can transfer power to the driver. The only way to do that is to pedal through it. It's normal and nothing to worry about, assuming it's not dangerously loose.

If you have bent parts (sounds like you don't), yeah, I'd replace those, but I honestly wouldn't get a new chain just to try and rid yourself of a tight spot. My current chain is just a few weeks old and Immediately had a tight spot after install. Why? The half link I put in.

|

1/19/2017 8:06 AM

How's your chain line? Straight or diagonal?

http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/support/rideuktech/chain.html

Photo
|

1/19/2017 8:10 AM

rgm19000 wrote:

Well guys, I gave everything a look over. The sprocket isn't bent but I did notice one of the teeth has its point chipped off. ...more

What kind of sprocket and chain are you running? The sprockets teeth could be worn out.

|

1/19/2017 9:56 AM

cmc wrote:

How's your chain line? Straight or diagonal?

http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/support/rideuktech/chain.html

Great read!
|

1/19/2017 11:40 AM

Lol it's not in my head trust me. The noise is like a sudden clunk. No grinding or squeaking just a sudden clunk when my driver side foot is pressing hard down on the pedal and that's when It feels like I'm not creating torque. It's like the feeling of pedaling without a chain but just for a second. It's slowing me down and I can't pedal hard and rocket around like I like to do haha.
I'm not sure what sprocket I have. I got it when I bought the bike as a complete (mode 900)
My chain looks straight.

|

1/19/2017 12:35 PM

If you added links, do the new links bend smoothly?

Are the pins pushed in correctly? (not sticking out further on one side)

You should be able to flip the bike upside down and spin the cranks, when you get to the tight spot, examine the chain/sprocket , etc.

|

1/19/2017 4:45 PM

That's most likely your driver skipping.

|