Weird wheel noise

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2017 3:15 PM

My front wheel has been making some weird noise on impact. Ive tried tightening the cone washers, nothing.
The fork is good, and it makes the sound even when its off the bike.
Here is the sound recording(of me hitting the wheel on a wall) -
https://clyp.it/ke4ux01k

|

Wake up, ride, have fun, repeat.

3/14/2017 3:39 PM

Check that the spokes are tight, check for cracks in the rim, check for play in the bearings and check if the axle is broken.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2017 3:49 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Check that the spokes are tight, check for cracks in the rim, check for play in the bearings and check if the axle is broken.

Quick yeah that should fix it, if it doesn't then spray some wd 40 between your huh bearing and it should be good to rip

|

3/14/2017 3:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2017 3:54 PM

Tudor_Man wrote:

Quick yeah that should fix it, if it doesn't then spray some wd 40 between your huh bearing and it should be good to rip

NO. DO NOT DO THIS. WD-40 REMOVES GREASE.

Sealed bearings need a wipe down, and typically just replacement.

Spokes are probably loose, check those, make sure everything is properly tight, WIPE DOWN WITH A RAG. Check your bars, headset, stem and everything else on your whole bike. I've seen kids who thought their front wheel had issues, turned out to be a loose chain hitting the frame.

Failing that, take it over to a shop.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/14/2017 4:11 PM

Tudor_Man wrote:

What kind of an idiot puts WD-40 in their bearings?!? It's a degreaser, it destroys any grease in there and makes your shit wear out and break faster! It should never go near a bike with perhaps the exception of putting grips on.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2017 4:34 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

What kind of an idiot puts WD-40 in their bearings?!? It's a degreaser, it destroys any grease in there and makes your shit ...more

I wouldn't even use it for that.

If I was overhauling bearings or cleaning the inside of my coaster I might use it for CLEANING ONLY, then when fully dry I would regrease everything.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/14/2017 6:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2017 6:17 PM

Generally, you never want WD-40 near ANY part of your bike. Only use it for stuff like removing sticker residues and such things.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/14/2017 10:54 PM

Sounds a bit like spokes, depends how you're hitting it against the wall. If it's got sealed bearings and the bearings are worn, tightening the cones won't do anything. It could also be a worn shell, the noise could be from the bearings/axle moving inside the shell. You can fix that with coke can shims

|

3/15/2017 2:13 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sounds a bit like spokes, depends how you're hitting it against the wall. If it's got sealed bearings and the bearings are ...more

The sound comes from any impact

|

Wake up, ride, have fun, repeat.

3/15/2017 3:53 AM

Then it's either spokes or worn bearings. When it's on the bike is there any side to side play? If there isn't a noticeable wobble, try putting the bike upside-down, stand on the bars and push the wheel side to side with more force. Or just take your axle out and see how rough the bearings feel

|