Weld crack on rim sidewall.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/30/2019 8:29 PM

Whats up guys. So i recently bought a bike for 80 bucks but didnt notice there was a crack. So the crack is on the sidewall where it welded together. The crack is like 2/3 along the sidewall. The wheel is a red salt complete wheel as it looks like and has a sealed hub. The hub is pretty skinny and is probably an older wheel. Can i weld it back together. Bmx wheels are not aluminum right? What should i do

|

6/30/2019 8:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2019 8:44 PM

It is indeed aluminum. And its probably pinned together, not welded. A very slight gap isn't a big deal.

|

6/30/2019 9:00 PM

jbales wrote:

It is indeed aluminum. And its probably pinned together, not welded. A very slight gap isn't a big deal.

Oh alright then. Is there a way to reinforce it? Im pretty paranoid because it may not be the best wheel but there isnt a place in my country that i can buy a rim from. im 75kg you positive its going to hold up?

|

6/30/2019 9:08 PM

Yup. The spokes are holding it together.

|

6/30/2019 9:29 PM

jbales wrote:

Yup. The spokes are holding it together.

Alright. Thanks alot dude

|

7/1/2019 5:23 AM

Is it a legit crack, or a straight opening like a seam where two parts come together?

If a legit crack, start saving for a new wheel. If a seam, make sure the rim strip covers it so it doesn't cause flats.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/1/2019 11:03 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Is it a legit crack, or a straight opening like a seam where two parts come together?

If a legit crack, start saving for a new wheel. If a seam, make sure the rim strip covers it so it doesn't cause flats.

No. Its a weld crack. Its a little cracked on the sidewall where the rim is welded (or pinned) together. The tire covers it.

|

7/1/2019 11:05 AM

Pictures?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/1/2019 11:51 AM

Oh fuck its on both sides. How do i fix this? How are they put together from the factory? I cant weld aluminum right? What am i going to do ffs

|

7/1/2019 12:14 PM

Anthony13 wrote:

Oh fuck its on both sides. How do i fix this? How are they put together from the factory? I cant weld aluminum right? What am i going to do ffs

Is this exactly opposite the valve hole? If so, it's just the seam. It does look like a pinned seam to me.

You could weld it if you wanted but you'll need the right rods and probably a TIG setup, given how thin it is.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/1/2019 12:19 PM

Anthony13 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Is this exactly opposite the valve hole? If so, it's just the seam. It does look like a pinned seam to me.

You could weld it if you wanted but you'll need the right rods and probably a TIG setup, given how thin it is.

Yes its on the opposite side of the valve hole. And is the seam. What kind of rods and what is TIG? if you dont mind answering. Thanks

|

7/1/2019 12:29 PM

Anthony13 wrote:

Yes its on the opposite side of the valve hole. And is the seam. What kind of rods and what is TIG? if you dont mind answering. Thanks

I can't remember the type of rod but it's for Alu. TIG is Tungsten-Inert-Gas(also known as GTAW):

You could possibly do it with MIG but I'd avoid it as much as possible, given how thin it is.
|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

7/2/2019 4:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2019 4:28 PM

Here's my advice:
Ride it until it gives up on you completely. Then replace with an affordable more well known brand like Stolen, Cinema, Fit etc etc. You should be able to get a complete wheel with pinned seems for around 100 dollars. Although I notice you currancy doesn't appear to be in dollars..... so you might be f'ed getting anything affordable.

|

7/2/2019 5:27 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Here's my advice:
Ride it until it gives up on you completely. Then replace with an affordable more well known brand like Stolen, Cinema, Fit etc etc. You should be able to get a complete wheel with pinned seems for around 100 dollars. Although I notice you currancy doesn't appear to be in dollars..... so you might be f'ed getting anything affordable.

I would also say that but if it's as hard to get parts as he says, he might be as well off to bring it to a welding shop and get them to reinforce it.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

7/2/2019 8:54 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Here's my advice:

Thats alot of money here plus i have to order it online (no bmx shop in whole country lol) and shipping would be at least 20 bucks. Id rather bring it to a welding shop and see what they can do

|

7/3/2019 5:25 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Here's my advice:

Anthony13 wrote:

Thats alot of money here plus i have to order it online (no bmx shop in whole country lol) and shipping would be at least 20 bucks. Id rather bring it to a welding shop and see what they can do

If that rim is forged, welding gets tricky. The other issue would be warpage. They would need to grind their welds smooth which will kill the color as they have to remove some of it in order to try to weld it up. PLUS they would not be able to close the gap THEN weld, so your rim would remain a tad out of round as it is.

Personally, I would consider putting a little tape or glue over the seam (it IS a pinned rim) and ride it til it causes flats/trashed tires/breaks. Then save/spend the money on a fresh wheel with a welded seam.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/4/2019 8:55 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Here's my advice:

Anthony13 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

If that rim is forged, welding gets tricky. The other issue would be warpage. They would need to grind their welds smooth which will kill the color as they have to remove some of it in order to try to weld it up. PLUS they would not be able to close the gap THEN weld, so your rim would remain a tad out of round as it is.

Personally, I would consider putting a little tape or glue over the seam (it IS a pinned rim) and ride it til it causes flats/trashed tires/breaks. Then save/spend the money on a fresh wheel with a welded seam.

Alright thanks for the help. I have one last question. So the rim currently is as stong as it was when it wasnt separated because it is pinned and not welded right? Its not pinned on the sidewall is it

|

7/5/2019 4:11 AM

Anthony13 wrote:

Alright thanks for the help. I have one last question. So the rim currently is as stong as it was when it wasnt separated because it is pinned and not welded right? Its not pinned on the sidewall is it

Only a couple brands have pins in the top (tire end) of the sidewall. So it's probably pretty close to the same strength. If you run brakes, your pads will wear faster. If not I would just ride and check on it from time to time, while saving for a fresh rim/wheel.

I've ridden pinned rims that did that off and on over the years, and never had much issue.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/5/2019 6:50 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Anthony13 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Only a couple brands have pins in the top (tire end) of the sidewall. So it's probably pretty close to the same strength. If you run brakes, your pads will wear faster. If not I would just ride and check on it from time to time, while saving for a fresh rim/wheel.

I've ridden pinned rims that did that off and on over the years, and never had much issue.

That boosted my confidence thanks for the help!

|