Welded my pedal

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2018 5:11 AM

The pins on my pedal keep falling out because the threads were stripped so I decided to try and weld them and tap them. It worked pretty well welded up to holes(all I had was 3/32 filler which was to big, so I wasn't pretty which is why I didn't take pics of the welds lol) it worked one pretty well though I accidentally bought a pin that was the next size up so I didn't weld them all just drilled and tapped then.
Figured I'd share it
PS:Welded 2 spots didn't take enough pics
of the whole process PhotoPhoto Photo

|

5/29/2018 12:15 PM

1234q9 wrote:

The pins on my pedal keep falling out because the threads were stripped so I decided to try and weld them and tap them. It ...more

Nice! Seems it worked out!

|

5/29/2018 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2018 2:12 PM

So you welded the pin holes and just tapped into the weld to create a new hole ? That’s actually pretty smart .

I’m in welding right now , 3/32 is pretty fat for that . Just bump the amps up and hope you don’t get spatter haha . What rod did you use for it ? 7018 ?

Edit : it’s almost like you just tacked the hole , you probably had an arc for maybe a second or 2 max if you were using 3/32 otherwise the metal would deposit everywhere haha . Looks pretty well done . If you were at a shop you could have mig welded it with thin wire and gotten pretty precise with it and it would have had less heat to the surrounding metal

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2018 2:14 PM

Not a bad idea but I just want to warn you. Any time your heating metal that has already been heated it can weaken it. True it’s aluminum so probably not an issue seeing pedals are CNCed. Plus seeing you can weld...your probably aware of that. But some people I’m sure aren’t.

|

5/30/2018 4:54 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

So you welded the pin holes and just tapped into the weld to create a new hole ? That’s actually pretty smart .

I’m in ...more

3/32 was a little much ( it was all I had on hand) I tig welded it with 4043 Tig wire so no splatter to worry about. I did get some .035 wire ( little less than 1/32 ) but since I bought the wrong size pins so I just tapped them up a size and I didn't need to weld anymore.

|

5/30/2018 7:14 AM

When I saw this thread title I immediately thought it was going to be a disaster but it looks like it actually worked out pretty well.
Good for you dude.

|

Hmmm

5/31/2018 2:02 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I’m in ...more

1234q9 wrote:

3/32 was a little much ( it was all I had on hand) I tig welded it with 4043 Tig wire so no splatter to worry about. I did get ...more

Fuck ok , I didn’t even think of you doing tig . With most users on Vital , you expect them to be kinda retarded with things like these ... figured maybe you just grinded the spatter off . That’s sweet, I haven’t done tig yet so I’m not familiar with it .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short