Welding crankarm to spindle?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/4/2016 3:39 PM

Ok, so a couple months ago I snapped my crank bolt off inside the spindle on my Premiums, and I've been running some stock cranks ever since. I haven't had the money for new cranks, or a new spindle. So I just set them on the shelf to collect dust.

Well, today I was working on my side bike and I had a thought. Why don't I just weld the crank arm on? Has anybody else done this? Will it even work? I guess it would pretty much make it a 2-piece crank. Idk, it's just a thought. Wouldn't mind hearing other peoples' opinions before I did it.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

6/4/2016 4:59 PM

Shortdude wrote:

Ok, so a couple months ago I snapped my crank bolt off inside the spindle on my Premiums, and I've been running some stock ...more

I did it to an old set of Stock fit 48 spline cranks a few years back and it held up. make sure you get enough spindle in there and only use them till you can afford new cranks.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

6/4/2016 5:25 PM

Shortdude wrote:

Ok, so a couple months ago I snapped my crank bolt off inside the spindle on my Premiums, and I've been running some stock ...more

Give it a shot just make sure you have a good junction and keep a steady hand if you're welding it . Don't just pile that shit on haha

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/4/2016 5:26 PM

I'd extract the bolt first, and buy new ones. It's not that hard to extract it.

|

6/4/2016 8:34 PM

Dude a new axle is like 20, that's if you don't buy a bolt extractor for even less.

|

6/4/2016 8:43 PM

Hell, you could just stick the rod to the bolt, and use it to unthread it.

|

6/6/2016 7:41 PM

Shortdude wrote:

I'll look up how to extract the bolt. A new spindle is $50 and I have no money right now. Hopefully I can get the broken one out and get new bolts.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

6/6/2016 8:16 PM

|

6/7/2016 11:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2016 11:31 AM

Shortdude wrote:

I would just try to get the bolt out first, and use welding it up as a LAST resort.

One thing I have done before is used a pencil eraser to unthread broken bolts. Try something like that.

OR if the bolt is out far enough to cut a notch into the bolt, you could use a flathead screwdriver to unthread it.

Sometimes using a flathead screwdriver with old tube around the end can grip enough too.

Also keep in mind if you weld it up and it doesn't work, you are out a spindle AND a crankarm.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2016 11:39 PM

Get an easy out (looks like a slightly cone shaped drill bit with a left hand thread). Drill a hole in what's left of the bolt (with a drill bit, not the easy out). As you tighten the easy out into the hole it will undo the bolt. I've used them plenty of times.

I've seen welded up cranks a few times and they stood up to a lot of abuse. But I'd suggest only getting someone with plenty of experience to do it. And only use it until you can get a replacement, just incase.

|

6/9/2016 1:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Get an easy out (looks like a slightly cone shaped drill bit with a left hand thread). Drill a hole in what's left of the bolt ...more

I posted a video link showing how to use one, lol

|