Well, it arrived and I may have a problem.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2018 4:11 PM

So last Thursday I ordered a 2018 Shovelhead. I went with the 2018 because I wanted the 100PSI tires and 28t sprocket gearing. Well.. It's here...

Photo

Not bad... except the tires do not indicate that they're 100PSI.

Photo
Photo

I guess I will be contacting Eastern regarding this. The sprocket is indeed 28t and the front axle is allen keyed as described for the 2018 model. Everything is right but the tires.

Anyways, that aside, had a hard day at work. Went for a quick ride and I love it! Feels solid!

Yeah, the reflectors are coming off too. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

|

2/26/2018 7:15 PM

That’s lame, false advertising I guess.

Bike looks fresh, and chuck those reflectors in the bin

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

2/26/2018 7:49 PM

You can probably get away with around 80 but anymore and the bead is gonna blow and cut a hand off

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/26/2018 7:54 PM

I wouldn't blame eastern. The distributer probably pulled a fast one and replaced the aftermarkets with some oems. They could be for sale on his shelf. I don't think eastern would intentionally lie about it. Will be interesting to see what they have to say about it. They aren't very expensive tires in the first place, so it's not gonna be worth thier reputation over a $10 difference. Who knows I could be wrong.

|

2/26/2018 8:00 PM

Lucid Focks wrote:

So last Thursday I ordered a 2018 Shovelhead. I went with the 2018 because I wanted the 100PSI tires and 28t sprocket gearing. Well.. It's here...

Photo

Photo
Photo

I guess I will be contacting Eastern regarding this. The sprocket is indeed 28t and the front axle is allen keyed as described for the 2018 model. Everything is right but the tires.

Anyways, that aside, had a hard day at work. Went for a quick ride and I love it! Feels solid!

Let me know what they say as I’m looking at ordering the same thing.

On a side note, is the entire frame black? Normally Eastern puts a sticker that says “Eastern” on the frame somewhere. Did they leave that off of this model.

|

2/26/2018 8:11 PM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Photo

Photo
Photo

mike90 wrote:

Let me know what they say as I’m looking at ordering the same thing.

On a side note, is the entire frame black? Normally Eastern puts a sticker that says “Eastern” on the frame somewhere. Did they leave that off of this model.

Mike: The sticker is located on the underside of the downtube... So your could see it as someone were table topping.

Lucid: give them a call. Talk to "Rob" they'll take care of it... One way or another. I have worked with them & they never fail to make things right. Either way, to be honest, I don't think the tires would be a deal breaker but yeah... If they were 60 psi. Instead of the 100psi tires, they need to address that.

Looks good tho! Looks REAL good! Congrats!

|

2/26/2018 8:20 PM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Photo

Photo
Photo

I notice it says "standard pressure 30-60 psi... Competition pressure please follow...." & I can't read the rest. Can you elaborate? Are they listed as having dual pressure ratings or something like that?

|

2/26/2018 8:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2018 9:15 PM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Photo

Photo
Photo

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I notice it says "standard pressure 30-60 psi... Competition pressure please follow...." & I can't read the rest. Can you elaborate? Are they listed as having dual pressure ratings or something like that?

Mongoose tires say the same thing. I interpret the pressure guideline as "inflate higher than recommended at your own risk" lol

I have run 80psi in 60psi rated tires with success but I dont ride big shit. Just ledges, no more than 6 stair drops and no big ramps besides flyouts.

I have been running 60ish psi in my 110psi rated mirage tires and I have been enjoying it.

I have a shitty pump and I messed my wrist up landing nose heavy on some tooth chinks. My pump is hell to get to 80psi so I decided Id try 60 with the eclat tires and Its not bad.

It does depend on the tire though. 60psi in some bigger "stretchier" tires with weak sidewalls feel spongy to me and I dont like that.

When you carve you can feel the tire rolling over on the rim. Almost like you are turning in deep sand imo.

|

2/26/2018 8:36 PM

Also, to the op, you can just twist off the reflectors, im sure there is a right way to do it but they just shatter and come off completely when you twist them.

|

2/26/2018 11:08 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Also, to the op, you can just twist off the reflectors, im sure there is a right way to do it but they just shatter and come off completely when you twist them.

Any flathead screwdriver can twist and snap the brittle piece holding it onto the spoke.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

2/26/2018 11:57 PM

Tyre pressure is personal preference anyway, you might find you don't like above 60. And you could always just buy new tyres, keeping the ones that came with it as spares. No bike will be perfect out of the box. That's why we all spend over 1k building customs

|

2/27/2018 4:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

The reflectors are coming off, no doubt. I just didn't get to it since I was so beat from work. I'll take care of that today.

Whoever asked about the branding (stickers) on it, well, there aren't many. There's the head-tube which has the Eastern logo. There's the Shovelhead logo on the seat tube and other than a warning sticker on the bottom tube, well, that's it! Nothing on the bottom of the down tube.

As for the tires, I agree with you guys. I'm not trying to split hairs over some tire pressure, but it is one of the reasons I bought the 2018 instead of saving 60 bucks on the 2017. Had I known it would ship with the OEM tires I would have bought the 2017 and a sprocket and wallah! Money saved. I'm not going to make a huge fuss over it but I am going to contact Eastern and see what they have to say about it.

I'll let you all know what they say.

~Lucid

|

2/27/2018 4:07 AM

Tire psi is half what the tire can take. 100psi will be fine

|

It’s all bmx

2/27/2018 5:24 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I wouldn't blame eastern. The distributer probably pulled a fast one and replaced the aftermarkets with some oems. They could be for sale on his shelf. I don't think eastern would intentionally lie about it. Will be interesting to see what they have to say about it. They aren't very expensive tires in the first place, so it's not gonna be worth thier reputation over a $10 difference. Who knows I could be wrong.

Just to clarify, I ordered the bike directly from Eastern. I doubt they'd swap the tires for their own shelf like an LBS potentially could.

|

2/27/2018 5:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 5:28 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's all it says regarding pressure. The part not shown just says to refer to the hot patch blah blah. There is nothing about higher than 60psi pressure.

Looking at the 100psi version of these tires it actually shows 100psi after the Eastern logo. These do not have that.

|

2/27/2018 5:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 5:32 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Doubtful-they legitimately would have to open the box, unwrap the bike of most of the padding etc, take the tires, toss cheaper ones on, and repackage it to look like it never happened. That's a pretty sizable amount of work for what, 10 bucks? Not even worth time, let alone paying someone to do it.

Chances are good they used copy/paste from other models and forgot to change that part in the description. OR whoever sold the bike modified it to seem just a touch better.

Either way, max the pressure out and ride!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/27/2018 6:41 AM

Lucid Focks wrote:

That's all it says regarding pressure. The part not shown just says to refer to the hot patch blah blah. There is nothing about higher than 60psi pressure.

Looking at the 100psi version of these tires it actually shows 100psi after the Eastern logo. These do not have that.

I used to ride at 100 psi because I'm a bigger guy and wanted to feel like I was going a bit faster. Then I forgot to check my pressure one night, went out, and couldn't believe how much more in control I felt on the bike. It just felt better riding down at 70-80psi rather than RIGHT at the recommended limit for the tire. I also practically doubled my manual length.

Now, I don't go above 85. Those tires will be fine.

A lot of people here seem to be really worried about breaking things on their bikes. Stop it. Don't baby your bike. We're slamming these things on the ground, against rails, ledges, etc.

Ride it till it explodes then replace it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/27/2018 6:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 6:59 AM

I talked to Eastern. He said that the manufacturer of the tire used the wrong hot patch. He assured me that they are the right tires and that it has affected both their complete and aftermarket tires and that they have received a lot of calls about it.

Everything is good to go! Just have to find time to ride now.

It kind of makes me wonder if the OEM and aftermarket tires are the same and they just label some differently and mark the price up.

|

2/27/2018 10:47 AM

I bought a stock stolen sinner bike years ago and it arrived with only 2 pegs, it was advertised and written that it came with 4 pegs. I just let it go, I could have called and gotten the other 2 pegs for free most likely, but at the time I didn't even ride pegs so I didn't worry about it

|

2/27/2018 10:52 AM

Well I did have two different sets of pedals in the misc box. That was kind of odd.

|

2/27/2018 10:58 AM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Well I did have two different sets of pedals in the misc box. That was kind of odd.

Hmm thats pretty weird...

Id say just approach it with no hate or expectancy in your tone. Eastern will do right by you, atthe very least they will ptobably give you a significant discount on the tires you wanted or just have you pay for shipping.

Get what was advertised, it may only be a mistake but that mistake is why they got 50-60 bucks extra out of the sale.

|

2/27/2018 11:06 AM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Id say just approach it with no hate or expectancy in your tone. Eastern will do right by you, atthe very least they will ptobably give you a significant discount on the tires you wanted or just have you pay for shipping.

Get what was advertised, it may only be a mistake but that mistake is why they got 50-60 bucks extra out of the sale.

You obviously didn't read further up. Apparently there was a mixup with the the hotpatch at the manufacturer & he's good to go on the tires.

|

2/27/2018 11:15 AM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You obviously didn't read further up. Apparently there was a mixup with the the hotpatch at the manufacturer & he's good to go on the tires.

I missed that post...sometimes when there are multiple replies on the same topic all in a row they stack in my gmail and I dont realize it...

Thank you.

And to the op, good deal! So you got what you wanted with some pedals on top!

|

2/27/2018 4:04 PM

Ok so they are indeed 100psi tires. That’s good news. Just mislabeled by the manufacturer’s fuck up. That’s kind of a big fuck up tho lol! They’ll be getting a lot of calls from buyers asking the same shit...
At least you got a bonus set of pedals! That’s pretty cool! Awesome bike man! Enjoy the shit out of it!

|