What BMX brands should be avoided?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2020 1:30 PM

I know what people's favorite brands around here are. But, I was wondering what brands to completely avoid when buying completes and/or parts?

Also, what are the thoughts on Verde bikes? I saw a complete with a 19tt that said it was 21 lbs on their site. My local bike shop that sells them says no way it's 21 lbs.

|

11/9/2020 2:02 PM

Verde is legit. some of their completes can be of lower quality but their higher end stuff is good. i know a guy who used to ride for them too and he still kills it to this day. but brands like mafia, collective bikes, and mongoose are ones to watch out for too as a lot of their bikes are walmart bike level stuff.

|

11/9/2020 3:12 PM

All of them, get a road bike

|

11/9/2020 3:15 PM

If we are being honest, any reputable brand is going to be of similar quality at this point imo, assuming materials are the same

I don't consider brands like mongoose as reputable, but a lot of it is brands you support

|

11/9/2020 3:19 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

Verde is legit. some of their completes can be of lower quality but their higher end stuff is good. i know a guy who used to ride for them too and he still kills it to this day. but brands like mafia, collective bikes, and mongoose are ones to watch out for too as a lot of their bikes are walmart bike level stuff.

Speaking of collective RT stuff is super generic and way over priced.

|

11/9/2020 3:59 PM

I avoid Shadow and Cult like the plague.

|

11/9/2020 4:51 PM

I wouldn’t ever ride a Mongoose Sniper Pro

There, I said it.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


11/9/2020 5:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2020 5:46 PM

I wouldnt rock parts from:

Mongoose
Collective
S&m
Gsport
Kink
Cult
Hyper
Tall Order
Haro
Premium
DK
Verde
Eastern
BSD
Mission
Wise



Most of the companies in bmx

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/9/2020 6:00 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I wouldn’t ever ride a Mongoose Sniper Pro

There, I said it.

You’re just mad I got one

|

It’s all bmx

11/9/2020 6:45 PM

A lot is just based on personal preference and personal experiences with certain products.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/9/2020 6:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2020 6:58 PM

readybmxer wrote:

A lot is just based on personal preference and personal experiences with certain products.

I'm just wondering if some are lacking in quality compared to others. Like, I've seen some bad reviews for "Elite" and "Mafia" bikes. I never hear much about "Framed" or "SE" and I've seen those around. I'm just trying to narrow down my search in what to buy.

I probably put too much stock in other people's experience, but I hope to learn from others. With buying online being my only option right now, I can test any bikes out [because everything is out of stock], I'm having trouble deciding which companies I should be giving my money to.

|

11/9/2020 6:55 PM

Four wrote:

I wouldnt rock parts from:

Mongoose
Collective
S&m
Gsport
Kink
Cult
Hyper
Tall Order
Haro
Premium
DK
Verde
Eastern
BSD
Mission
Wise



Most of the companies in bmx

We got it bro, you be digging the Huffy..

|





11/9/2020 6:56 PM

Four wrote:

I wouldnt rock parts from:

Mongoose
Collective
S&m
Gsport
Kink
Cult
Hyper
Tall Order
Haro
Premium
DK
Verde
Eastern
BSD
Mission
Wise



Most of the companies in bmx

You forgot Odyssey

|

11/9/2020 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2020 7:25 PM

Four wrote:

I wouldnt rock parts from:

Mongoose
Collective
S&m
Gsport
Kink
Cult
Hyper
Tall Order
Haro
Premium
DK
Verde
Eastern
BSD
Mission
Wise



Most of the companies in bmx

younggotti wrote:

You forgot Odyssey

Sunday/odyssey
Cinema
Bone deth
Fiction
Nowear
KHE
Stolen
Rant
Alienation
GT

I also forgot haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/9/2020 7:08 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

We got it bro, you be digging the Huffy..

Huffy/ DK is the same brand. I don’t think Huffy makes bmx bikes under their brand name anymore

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/9/2020 7:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2020 7:22 PM

I’m with these other two dudes on cult, but that’s more from a business side from how the company started, it rubbed me the wrong way.
I would avoid big company’s sister part brands, they’re typically made lower cost/lower quality as oem parts for completes (Except Madera their shit is still solid just less fancy than profile):
Wise
Rant
Mission
Revenge
Probably missed a lot here but you catch my drift

Also wouldn’t ride a handful of companies just based on reputation, also the fact that they’re in and out of the game and not big players speaks about their parts to me personally:
Stolen
Eastern
Premium

Wouldn’t ride kink personally only because their oem bars on completes bent very quickly for my buddies who got full chromoly completes, one back in 2009 and one this year for my other friend. Shit breaks but neither of them went hard, both sides just slowly started sagging and that bummed me out that they had to deal with that within a couple months after I advised them to shell out 500+ for full chromoly everything. I’m sure their aftermarket stuff is nicer but they rubbed me the wrong way and now I could care less about them and helping keep their sales up.

I’m a little picky and really only would buy from s&m/fit/profile/odyssey, and then some select parts from Eclat/shadow, that’s about it. But a lot of people don’t like some of those brands either, I’ve just loved those companies and every part I’ve had from them. Never really had a bad experience sticking to those guys.

You’re going to find some huge s&m haters, profile is overpriced and their hubs wobble guys, big cult fanboys, people saying kink has the best complete for the money, etc so prepare to not learn much from this thread other than people have their own preferences. Lol.

|

11/9/2020 7:43 PM

A big part of it is image. Aftermarket parts are really similar in quality as there all made in the same handful of factories. There’s only a few exceptions (odyssey/gsport/sunday, anything US made).

But complete bikes that sound too good to be true, like mafia and collective, are absolute trash. You generally get what you pay for with completes. So think more about your budget and the spec of the bike rather than what brand it is.

|

11/10/2020 4:42 AM

Four wrote:

I wouldnt rock parts from:

Mongoose
Collective
S&m
Gsport
Kink
Cult
Hyper
Tall Order
Haro
Premium
DK
Verde
Eastern
BSD
Mission
Wise



Most of the companies in bmx

You even ride bro? You hate on everything

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 4:42 AM

.pegless. wrote:

A big part of it is image. Aftermarket parts are really similar in quality as there all made in the same handful of factories. There’s only a few exceptions (odyssey/gsport/sunday, anything US made).

But complete bikes that sound too good to be true, like mafia and collective, are absolute trash. You generally get what you pay for with completes. So think more about your budget and the spec of the bike rather than what brand it is.

This.

Similar level completes tend to be the same quality. You might get Odyssey pedals VS generic ones, or a name brand brake cable or something basic.

It doesn't hurt to check out the used market too. If OP is in Raleigh, perhaps when Powers is done moving, Tim could advise on offerings that fit OPs budget? Google tells me they are around 2 hours apart via car, so maybe a trip to VA is possible?

Either way, check out local used market for stuff, post on here if you have questions OP, we will be happy to help.

You will get a lot of opinions though, be ready for "this brand sucks" despite the person saying that having ZERO experience with the brand, but knowing 800 people who snapped stuff from the brand they say "sucks"

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/10/2020 4:49 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

I’m with these other two dudes on cult, but that’s more from a business side from how the company started, it rubbed me the wrong way.
I would avoid big company’s sister part brands, they’re typically made lower cost/lower quality as oem parts for completes (Except Madera their shit is still solid just less fancy than profile):
Wise
Rant
Mission
Revenge
Probably missed a lot here but you catch my drift

Also wouldn’t ride a handful of companies just based on reputation, also the fact that they’re in and out of the game and not big players speaks about their parts to me personally:
Stolen
Eastern
Premium

Wouldn’t ride kink personally only because their oem bars on completes bent very quickly for my buddies who got full chromoly completes, one back in 2009 and one this year for my other friend. Shit breaks but neither of them went hard, both sides just slowly started sagging and that bummed me out that they had to deal with that within a couple months after I advised them to shell out 500+ for full chromoly everything. I’m sure their aftermarket stuff is nicer but they rubbed me the wrong way and now I could care less about them and helping keep their sales up.

I’m a little picky and really only would buy from s&m/fit/profile/odyssey, and then some select parts from Eclat/shadow, that’s about it. But a lot of people don’t like some of those brands either, I’ve just loved those companies and every part I’ve had from them. Never really had a bad experience sticking to those guys.

You’re going to find some huge s&m haters, profile is overpriced and their hubs wobble guys, big cult fanboys, people saying kink has the best complete for the money, etc so prepare to not learn much from this thread other than people have their own preferences. Lol.

What you say is so true.

I really like Kink Bikes stuff as I bought a frame from them and rode it for a couple of years and then it broke at the weld. They replaced it for free for me. I didn't view it as cheap or garbage ask I knew that I rode it hard and its part of life that it will break at some point. Them replacing it for me is what made me loyal to Kink as a brand. Its hard to turn against them when they back there stuff up.

One thing i think people forget is that all these parts are getting treated harsh. At some point there going to break or bend as that is natural. There not made to be an eternal part.

I actually bought a Mission free coaster as I wasn't sure if i would like a freecoaster and didn't want to shell out 300 for one. So i spent 150 and so far I am impressed with how it has held up. I will replace it before long with a better one but the cheaper part was good for me to see that I wanted to ride a FC.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 5:30 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

You even ride bro? You hate on everything

I ride everyday. That would be because 95% of bmx companies are lame and I don’t fanboy over companies, trends or pro riders if it’s wack it’s wack.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/10/2020 5:51 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

I’m with these other two dudes on cult, but that’s more from a business side from how the company started, it rubbed me the wrong way.
I would avoid big company’s sister part brands, they’re typically made lower cost/lower quality as oem parts for completes (Except Madera their shit is still solid just less fancy than profile):
Wise
Rant
Mission
Revenge
Probably missed a lot here but you catch my drift

Also wouldn’t ride a handful of companies just based on reputation, also the fact that they’re in and out of the game and not big players speaks about their parts to me personally:
Stolen
Eastern
Premium

Wouldn’t ride kink personally only because their oem bars on completes bent very quickly for my buddies who got full chromoly completes, one back in 2009 and one this year for my other friend. Shit breaks but neither of them went hard, both sides just slowly started sagging and that bummed me out that they had to deal with that within a couple months after I advised them to shell out 500+ for full chromoly everything. I’m sure their aftermarket stuff is nicer but they rubbed me the wrong way and now I could care less about them and helping keep their sales up.

I’m a little picky and really only would buy from s&m/fit/profile/odyssey, and then some select parts from Eclat/shadow, that’s about it. But a lot of people don’t like some of those brands either, I’ve just loved those companies and every part I’ve had from them. Never really had a bad experience sticking to those guys.

You’re going to find some huge s&m haters, profile is overpriced and their hubs wobble guys, big cult fanboys, people saying kink has the best complete for the money, etc so prepare to not learn much from this thread other than people have their own preferences. Lol.

baglagrupie wrote:

What you say is so true.

I really like Kink Bikes stuff as I bought a frame from them and rode it for a couple of years and then it broke at the weld. They replaced it for free for me. I didn't view it as cheap or garbage ask I knew that I rode it hard and its part of life that it will break at some point. Them replacing it for me is what made me loyal to Kink as a brand. Its hard to turn against them when they back there stuff up.

One thing i think people forget is that all these parts are getting treated harsh. At some point there going to break or bend as that is natural. There not made to be an eternal part.

I actually bought a Mission free coaster as I wasn't sure if i would like a freecoaster and didn't want to shell out 300 for one. So i spent 150 and so far I am impressed with how it has held up. I will replace it before long with a better one but the cheaper part was good for me to see that I wanted to ride a FC.

The mission freecoaster worked well for me when i wanted to test free coasters out

any mission part i've had experience with was all quality for the price, if anyone is on a budget, mission isn't a bad option and i'd personally pick them over other budget brands like rant

|

11/10/2020 6:49 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

What you say is so true.

I really like Kink Bikes stuff as I bought a frame from them and rode it for a couple of years and then it broke at the weld. They replaced it for free for me. I didn't view it as cheap or garbage ask I knew that I rode it hard and its part of life that it will break at some point. Them replacing it for me is what made me loyal to Kink as a brand. Its hard to turn against them when they back there stuff up.

One thing i think people forget is that all these parts are getting treated harsh. At some point there going to break or bend as that is natural. There not made to be an eternal part.

I actually bought a Mission free coaster as I wasn't sure if i would like a freecoaster and didn't want to shell out 300 for one. So i spent 150 and so far I am impressed with how it has held up. I will replace it before long with a better one but the cheaper part was good for me to see that I wanted to ride a FC.

Yeah I’m sure their stuff would hold up fine for me, that contender frame almost converted me haha. The cool part about my buddies bars is they replaced them with a 70 or 80 dollar set of kink lynx bars if you remember those, that was pretty stand up of them to do because those bars were much nicer than the oem ones! If it wasn’t for fit/s&m I could see myself giving them another shot some day.

|

11/10/2020 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 6:57 AM

Four wrote:

I wouldnt rock parts from:

Mongoose
Collective
S&m
Gsport
Kink
Cult
Hyper
Tall Order
Haro
Premium
DK
Verde
Eastern
BSD
Mission
Wise



Most of the companies in bmx

baglagrupie wrote:

You even ride bro? You hate on everything

Four wrote:

I ride everyday. That would be because 95% of bmx companies are lame and I don’t fanboy over companies, trends or pro riders if it’s wack it’s wack.

What do you you actually ride? You hate everything?
What is the 5% that isn't lame that we are all missing?

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 7:58 AM

Sunday completes suck so much butthole. The forks bent my second ride out on my 2021 forecaster... I believe the only chromoly part of them is the steer tube. Fork legs bent hucking some stairs.... Probably the only decent part on the whole bike is the odyssey freecoaster hub which I’m finding has a lot more slack than most Freecoasters I used back in 2007-2010(wish I could remember brands I used to use but was way to long ago and too many doobies ago).. overall I don’t think I’d ever buy another Sunday or odyssey freecoaster 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t have experience with other brands recent enough to comment on em I’ve only just gotten back into riding after a solid 8 years off.

|

11/10/2020 8:34 AM

terpytokes710 wrote:

Sunday completes suck so much butthole. The forks bent my second ride out on my 2021 forecaster... I believe the only chromoly part of them is the steer tube. Fork legs bent hucking some stairs.... Probably the only decent part on the whole bike is the odyssey freecoaster hub which I’m finding has a lot more slack than most Freecoasters I used back in 2007-2010(wish I could remember brands I used to use but was way to long ago and too many doobies ago).. overall I don’t think I’d ever buy another Sunday or odyssey freecoaster 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t have experience with other brands recent enough to comment on em I’ve only just gotten back into riding after a solid 8 years off.

I'd guess Federal, Odyssey or KHE as they were pretty much it for coasters back then.

Tons of brands snagged the KHE style internals and tossed their own shell on it. Then brands started toying with internals and how to modify about 8 years ago when Ezra (Eastern) brought out their cassette/coaster hub-the one that could switch from one to the other with a couple part changes.

Seems the freenight and now BSD coasters are loosely based on the Ezra setup.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/10/2020 8:43 AM

terpytokes710 wrote:

Sunday completes suck so much butthole. The forks bent my second ride out on my 2021 forecaster... I believe the only chromoly part of them is the steer tube. Fork legs bent hucking some stairs.... Probably the only decent part on the whole bike is the odyssey freecoaster hub which I’m finding has a lot more slack than most Freecoasters I used back in 2007-2010(wish I could remember brands I used to use but was way to long ago and too many doobies ago).. overall I don’t think I’d ever buy another Sunday or odyssey freecoaster 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t have experience with other brands recent enough to comment on em I’ve only just gotten back into riding after a solid 8 years off.

dave lawrence wrote:

I'd guess Federal, Odyssey or KHE as they were pretty much it for coasters back then.

Tons of brands snagged the KHE style internals and tossed their own shell on it. Then brands started toying with internals and how to modify about 8 years ago when Ezra (Eastern) brought out their cassette/coaster hub-the one that could switch from one to the other with a couple part changes.

Seems the freenight and now BSD coasters are loosely based on the Ezra setup.

I wanna say demolition I think might have been the brand .. But yeah khe rings a bell I ran one of their geisha freecoaster mtb hubs (believe that was the model) on my old black market riot hard tail way back in the day 😂

|

11/10/2020 8:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 8:57 AM

I guess to each his own. But when I was looking to get back into bmx, many people were telling me that I couldnt go wrong with a higher end Sunday complete. So I went with the Sunday Gary Young complete and so far I love it! Most of the bike has a lifetime warranty, so if shit breaks , Im covered..

|

11/10/2020 9:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 9:09 AM

Vic707b wrote:

I guess to each his own. But when I was looking to get back into bmx, many people were telling me that I couldnt go wrong with a higher end Sunday complete. So I went with the Sunday Gary Young complete and so far I love it! Most of the bike has a lifetime warranty, so if shit breaks , Im covered..

The sound wave is probably their only complete worth buying man you did well! no lifetime warranty on anything on my forecaster. I’m sure I could have gotten the forks replaced with warranty with the bike being so new, but I don’t see the point just to bend them again. I swapped the forks for some r15’s instead. The soundwave is def a solid bike but also the price it is here in Canada I could build up a custom bike for around the same money which I would personally prefer... and I’m slowly starting to wish instead of my forecaster I had just built a custom as well 😂 but live and learn!

|

11/10/2020 9:31 AM

Just look at what gets sold used the most. Seems like Fit bikes get sold the most on offer up in my area. Never had a Fit but if they are good why are so many trying to get rid of them? And why do they sell $500 bikes with single walled rims? No bueno.

|