What BMX brands should be avoided?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2020 9:45 AM

pnfdog wrote:

Just look at what gets sold used the most. Seems like Fit bikes get sold the most on offer up in my area. Never had a Fit but if they are good why are so many trying to get rid of them? And why do they sell $500 bikes with single walled rims? No bueno.

I see a lot of used Haro for sale in my area. Never seen a Fit for sale used. But, I've heard about what you are saying for Fit. That their entry level bikes cost as much as a Kink higher end.

|

11/10/2020 10:32 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

What do you you actually ride? You hate everything?
What is the 5% that isn't lame that we are all missing?

I ride a bike, it’s got no color on it, 2 piece bars and no pegs.

There’s plenty of companies out there doing cool shit but few people look for it and just buy whatever’s trendy. Everything I named is mostly low end, overpriced or has some cringe gimmick to it.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/10/2020 10:33 AM

Four wrote:

I ride everyday. That would be because 95% of bmx companies are lame and I don’t fanboy over companies, trends or pro riders if it’s wack it’s wack.

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

There’s plenty of companies out there doing cool shit but few people look for it and just buy whatever’s trendy. Everything I named is mostly low end, overpriced or has some cringe gimmick to it.

I knew it!!! Huffy!! Lol

|

11/10/2020 10:36 AM

Four wrote:

I ride everyday. That would be because 95% of bmx companies are lame and I don’t fanboy over companies, trends or pro riders if it’s wack it’s wack.

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

Sounds a lot like my bike haha

|

11/10/2020 11:10 AM

Four wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

So name someone that is doing cool shit.

Sounds like your riding a fuckin broomstick

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 11:12 AM

terpytokes710 wrote:

Sunday completes suck so much butthole. The forks bent my second ride out on my 2021 forecaster... I believe the only chromoly part of them is the steer tube. Fork legs bent hucking some stairs.... Probably the only decent part on the whole bike is the odyssey freecoaster hub which I’m finding has a lot more slack than most Freecoasters I used back in 2007-2010(wish I could remember brands I used to use but was way to long ago and too many doobies ago).. overall I don’t think I’d ever buy another Sunday or odyssey freecoaster 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t have experience with other brands recent enough to comment on em I’ve only just gotten back into riding after a solid 8 years off.

Complete bikes are not made for hard riding.

If you were doing that you would be better off custom building a bike.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 11:33 AM

terpytokes710 wrote:

Sunday completes suck so much butthole. The forks bent my second ride out on my 2021 forecaster... I believe the only chromoly part of them is the steer tube. Fork legs bent hucking some stairs.... Probably the only decent part on the whole bike is the odyssey freecoaster hub which I’m finding has a lot more slack than most Freecoasters I used back in 2007-2010(wish I could remember brands I used to use but was way to long ago and too many doobies ago).. overall I don’t think I’d ever buy another Sunday or odyssey freecoaster 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t have experience with other brands recent enough to comment on em I’ve only just gotten back into riding after a solid 8 years off.

baglagrupie wrote:

Yeah this is what I am learning 😂 back in the day all my bikes were always custom builds never had a complete... eventually I’ll have broken every part on this forecaster and she will be a custom 🤣

|

11/10/2020 11:40 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

nobody paying me to advertise their company lmao

But just to name one Federal is a respectable brand.

A broomstick? It would not be as cool as ur 2018 kink whip w/ mission wheels

|

11/10/2020 11:40 AM

terpytokes710 wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

terpytokes710 wrote:

Yeah this is what I am learning 😂 back in the day all my bikes were always custom builds never had a complete... eventually I’ll have broken every part on this forecaster and she will be a custom 🤣

Thats how my bike started 15 + Years ago. If i took all the parts that i have had over the years i could make about 4 or more bikes.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 11:41 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Sounds a lot like my bike haha

Lol yes I’m also still rolling with the small tires as well. Sadly no front load stem as my back wont allow it anymore.

|

11/10/2020 11:47 AM

Four wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

for the price the whip is the best beginner bike on the market...unless you know of something you feel is better

i like federal and all but they aren't any different than 90% of the brands out there

|

11/10/2020 12:32 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

younggotti wrote:

for the price the whip is the best beginner bike on the market...unless you know of something you feel is better

i like federal and all but they aren't any different than 90% of the brands out there

The only thing that I like about federal is their IC chainstays but the specs are all wrong for me.

|

11/10/2020 12:43 PM

pnfdog wrote:

Just look at what gets sold used the most. Seems like Fit bikes get sold the most on offer up in my area. Never had a Fit but if they are good why are so many trying to get rid of them? And why do they sell $500 bikes with single walled rims? No bueno.

Yeah somethings off. Might just be overpriced tbh.

|

11/10/2020 12:51 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

younggotti wrote:

This exactly.

Federal is just another plug and play like the rest of them.

I wouldnt let you anywhere near my stuff to advertise if i was a company.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/10/2020 1:37 PM

I would just avoid buying completes unless I was just starting out. As far as parts go, the cheaper ones serve their purpose for quick fixes, and the high end stuff is awesome when it fits your riding style. I gave Colton shit for riding for a scooter company as a joke, but he was paid to be on the roll in at Dew Tour and I snuck in to ride the jumps... ha ha

|

11/10/2020 2:10 PM

younggotti wrote:

I don’t care about completes tbh they’re for kids just starting.

That’s the point is federal is just a straight bmx company, no gimmick, no starter bikes with brakes and reflectors, no youtuber giveaways. other than some goofy logo tires they made they’re just a bike brand. Same thing as animal, mutiny, primo, t1 or any other legit company.

|

11/10/2020 2:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 3:13 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

This exactly.

Federal is just another plug and play like the rest of them.

I wouldnt let you anywhere near my stuff to advertise if i was a company.

I don’t need stickers all over my bike and to white knight companies who wouldn’t give you a free pair of grips if you asked em for it haha. I wouldnt want to advertise your company or any other company this ain’t nascar.

|

11/10/2020 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 3:30 PM

Four wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Four wrote:

That’s the point is federal is just a straight bmx company, no gimmick, no starter bikes with brakes and reflectors, no youtuber giveaways. other than some goofy logo tires they made they’re just a bike brand. Same thing as animal, mutiny, primo, t1 or any other legit company.

Well completes aren't for just kids.....I bought my complete at 33 years old...why? Because I grew up riding, wanted to get back into riding and didn't want to invest a ton...and I'm sure there are plenty just like me...not to mention kink, wethepeople, and Sunday all make completes that are just as good if not better than most ppls customs

And you don't like companies who make smart business decisions to expand their product line? I don't get that...if a teenager gets a kink complete for their birthday, now they know the brand and are more likely to buy from said brand again...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most ppl aren't going from a wal mart brand bike straight into a custom barcode build...there is a need for the middle ground

BTW completes by law have to have reflectors and brakes, wouldn't call that a gimmick in anyway and all companies frames and many other parts have stickers on them

And lastly...every company you mentioned is a bike brand haha, I don't see any of them going to and making tvs or computers or anything

|

11/10/2020 3:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 4:03 PM

younggotti wrote:

Well completes aren't for just kids.....I bought my complete at 33 years old...why? Because I grew up riding, wanted to get back into riding and didn't want to invest a ton...and I'm sure there are plenty just like me...not to mention kink, wethepeople, and Sunday all make completes that are just as good if not better than most ppls customs

And you don't like companies who make smart business decisions to expand their product line? I don't get that...if a teenager gets a kink complete for their birthday, now they know the brand and are more likely to buy from said brand again...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most ppl aren't going from a wal mart brand bike straight into a custom barcode build...there is a need for the middle ground

BTW completes by law have to have reflectors and brakes, wouldn't call that a gimmick in anyway and all companies frames and many other parts have stickers on them

And lastly...every company you mentioned is a bike brand haha, I don't see any of them going to and making tvs or computers or anything

Completes won’t hold up to hard riding at all. I guarantee I’ll have the wheels and bearings on any complete done in a month except the high end ones using aftermarket parts maybe. Most problems I see on locals bikes are low end stock parts so they’re pretty much made to introduce a new rider into bmx and that’s all.

You’re right there is a need for someone to make the completes to introduce new riders to bmx but I’ve always saw those brands as lower quality or just not as interesting. Brands like eastern I’ve always saw as a cheap entry level brand no matter what parts they come out with due to their weak completes and budget parts.

I’m aware of that. I wasn’t calling brakes or reflectors a gimmick things like goofy neon camo tires and pizza print seats are a gimmick that looks ridiculous.

Yes but there’s a difference between a core bmx company and a generic bmx company that doesn’t care about the brand or image. I get most riders and skaters today don’t care about core shit anymore or whatever and will ride whatever’s being pushed at the moment whether it’s vans shoes over etnies/Lotek or hyper, mission, eastern or whatever company over animal, federal or the make. Which is why a lot of companies are struggling because people just buy whatever’s hyped up and don’t care if it’s core or to put thought into what they buy.

|

11/10/2020 3:59 PM

Cellmember wrote:

The only thing that I like about federal is their IC chainstays but the specs are all wrong for me.

The IC chain stays are super nice looking. They sadly don’t have any geo I like either. Either a super short back end or too high bottom bracket. Never actually rode one of their frames for that reason.

|

11/10/2020 4:28 PM

terpytokes710 wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

There’s completes built today totally capable of hard riding , I’m riding a 2018 white haro Dave mirra tribute bike and I’ve been beating the absolute shit out of it and after a season of hard riding the only thing I had to replace on it was the 8 spline pinch bolt cranks after I twisted the spindle landing disaster on a backflip after a wind gust caught me , broke my ribs and bruised my lung but the bike was fine aside from the cheap crank that came on it that’s the only thing I’ve had to replace straight out of the box and that crash probably would have fucked up most cranks

|

11/10/2020 4:45 PM

younggotti wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

Four wrote:

The IC chain stays are super nice looking. They sadly don’t have any geo I like either. Either a super short back end or too high bottom bracket. Never actually rode one of their frames for that reason.

Yep, very similar reasons why.

|

11/10/2020 4:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2020 4:55 PM

Four wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Four wrote:

Completes won’t hold up to hard riding at all. I guarantee I’ll have the wheels and bearings on any complete done in a month except the high end ones using aftermarket parts maybe. Most problems I see on locals bikes are low end stock parts so they’re pretty much made to introduce a new rider into bmx and that’s all.

You’re right there is a need for someone to make the completes to introduce new riders to bmx but I’ve always saw those brands as lower quality or just not as interesting. Brands like eastern I’ve always saw as a cheap entry level brand no matter what parts they come out with due to their weak completes and budget parts.

I’m aware of that. I wasn’t calling brakes or reflectors a gimmick things like goofy neon camo tires and pizza print seats are a gimmick that looks ridiculous.

Yes but there’s a difference between a core bmx company and a generic bmx company that doesn’t care about the brand or image. I get most riders and skaters today don’t care about core shit anymore or whatever and will ride whatever’s being pushed at the moment whether it’s vans shoes over etnies/Lotek or hyper, mission, eastern or whatever company over animal, federal or the make. Which is why a lot of companies are struggling because people just buy whatever’s hyped up and don’t care if it’s core or to put thought into what they buy.

That sounds like a you issue then..the way you are viewing things doesn't have any real justification behind it

I don't do stickers or weird things either but obviously there is a market for it...so the company is smart to cater to the market...just buy the regular stuff at that point

Companies like kink have been around longer than federal and have remained Bmx the whole time

Companies like kink and subrosa seem to sponsor every Bmx event, how much more "core" do you want? They are obviously supporting the community

i always like to support rider owened companies or companies that have been Bmx for awhile if I can and if their stuff is made well and within the price I'm willing to pay but the quality from a kink Williams frame to a federal frame is nil imo

|

11/10/2020 5:08 PM

Cellmember wrote:

The IC chainstays look clean but the weld ends up right where you happen to hit your chainstay on grinds, etc. With enough hits I could definitely see the chainstay wanting to break up with the rest of the frame.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/10/2020 5:18 PM

i really haven't seen a brand i wouldn't ride. what brand wouldn't ride you?

|

11/10/2020 5:42 PM

Vic707b wrote:

I guess to each his own. But when I was looking to get back into bmx, many people were telling me that I couldnt go wrong with a higher end Sunday complete. So I went with the Sunday Gary Young complete and so far I love it! Most of the bike has a lifetime warranty, so if shit breaks , Im covered..

terpytokes710 wrote:

The sound wave is probably their only complete worth buying man you did well! no lifetime warranty on anything on my forecaster. I’m sure I could have gotten the forks replaced with warranty with the bike being so new, but I don’t see the point just to bend them again. I swapped the forks for some r15’s instead. The soundwave is def a solid bike but also the price it is here in Canada I could build up a custom bike for around the same money which I would personally prefer... and I’m slowly starting to wish instead of my forecaster I had just built a custom as well 😂 but live and learn!

I feel you man. That sucks with your Forecaster. I was thinking about a build also, but after doing research, I learned everything on the Soundwave is after market and if I were to add everything up, it easily has 1,500.00 USD in it. So I said F it. Went with the complete. The Sunday Sweeper is also a quality bike just fyi. I almost went the cheaper route too, but thought it will just cost me more later.

|

11/10/2020 5:55 PM

younggotti wrote:

That sounds like a you issue then..the way you are viewing things doesn't have any real justification behind it

I don't do stickers or weird things either but obviously there is a market for it...so the company is smart to cater to the market...just buy the regular stuff at that point

Companies like kink have been around longer than federal and have remained Bmx the whole time

Companies like kink and subrosa seem to sponsor every Bmx event, how much more "core" do you want? They are obviously supporting the community

i always like to support rider owened companies or companies that have been Bmx for awhile if I can and if their stuff is made well and within the price I'm willing to pay but the quality from a kink Williams frame to a federal frame is nil imo

I don't need justification as to why I don't like a brand haha. If I think it's wack I think it's wack.

Sure there's a market, doesn't mean it isn't corny to make a fucking pizza print, some other print seat or neon tires lol.

Sure by 5 years or so but they've had to make low end completes, silly gimmicky parts, and sell shitty parts under "mission" to stay afloat. Federal is pretty much the same shit it was in 2000 except no flatland frames anymore. If federal goes out and makes a 300 dollar complete bike and budget parts I'll think that's wack too. They're one of the few companies who haven't made a bunch of low end bikes to make money.

I don't really care much about bmx events but again, it's imo about the integrity of the company if they make a bunch of shit that makes bmx look corny and lame I'm still unimpressed with a jam or whatever.

Most frames made overseas are all the same with different stickers. So whatever you're buying in the same price range is USUALLY around the same quality. The federal frames typically have a few more features than a generic frame (ICS cs/backend, Engraved headtube and seatstays etc) but overall yes the strength is probably comparable.

Remember this is all based on MY opinion or experience with parts lol. Which is why I said "I" would not ride. I think your and another members favorite company or whatever is wack, you like them, it's your bike not mine ride the parts you like.

Also not every company I listed is bad. For example: sunday and s&m aren't bad companies but I wouldn't pay 400+ dollars for one of their frames. In fact I've had 5 sunday frames. G sport doesn't make horrible wheels but for the price and reputation they hold I was unimpressed when they've held up worse than most other wheels I've had so I doubt I'd buy another set.

|

11/10/2020 6:18 PM

Four wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Four wrote:

I don't need justification as to why I don't like a brand haha. If I think it's wack I think it's wack.

Sure there's a market, doesn't mean it isn't corny to make a fucking pizza print, some other print seat or neon tires lol.

Sure by 5 years or so but they've had to make low end completes, silly gimmicky parts, and sell shitty parts under "mission" to stay afloat. Federal is pretty much the same shit it was in 2000 except no flatland frames anymore. If federal goes out and makes a 300 dollar complete bike and budget parts I'll think that's wack too. They're one of the few companies who haven't made a bunch of low end bikes to make money.

I don't really care much about bmx events but again, it's imo about the integrity of the company if they make a bunch of shit that makes bmx look corny and lame I'm still unimpressed with a jam or whatever.

Most frames made overseas are all the same with different stickers. So whatever you're buying in the same price range is USUALLY around the same quality. The federal frames typically have a few more features than a generic frame (ICS cs/backend, Engraved headtube and seatstays etc) but overall yes the strength is probably comparable.

Remember this is all based on MY opinion or experience with parts lol. Which is why I said "I" would not ride. I think your and another members favorite company or whatever is wack, you like them, it's your bike not mine ride the parts you like.

Also not every company I listed is bad. For example: sunday and s&m aren't bad companies but I wouldn't pay 400+ dollars for one of their frames. In fact I've had 5 sunday frames. G sport doesn't make horrible wheels but for the price and reputation they hold I was unimpressed when they've held up worse than most other wheels I've had so I doubt I'd buy another set.

No you can have your opinion...it's the reasoning behind the opinion That doesn't make any sense

I too think pizza seats are wack but that means the idea is wack, not the company itself...the companies job is to make things ppl want

What is under the kink label that is a gimmick? Sunday makes a bunch of funky colors I'm not into but they usually have raw or black so who cares at the end of the day

Can you explain how companies making completes make Bmx look corny? How making things ppl like...even if you and I don't..is making Bmx look corny? They are still supporting the core Bmx crowd

And mission isn't needed to stay afloat...it was probably started so they could keep parts for their completes in house and didn't have to outsource....in my experience mission has been just as good as many more expensive companies

|

11/10/2020 7:32 PM

I’m too old and out of touch with what is popular to be able to offer a lot, but since this is a forum... I will give what little input I have anyway.

When I was a kid, I rode Haro. It was (at least among my circle of friends), the top of the food chain for BMX at that time, and my folks were so awesome to have saved the money it took to get me one. Back then, the other companies with top reputations among my peers were GT, Mongoose, and Redline although I never did know anyone who actually owned a Redline.

When I recently jumped back into BMX, I quickly made the decision to buy a Haro. I also bought my son a Haro. It doesn’t mean that I believe other brands are crap. It just means that I view Haro as a very good quality bike, and have confidence in the fact that they have remained relevant in BMX for so many years. I trust that they will be around, and believe that they are a name that any BMX rider could be proud to have in their bike.

What I have a problem with, is the trendiness of not only BMX, but of society in general. So many people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of praising whatever the flavor of the month is, and bashing everything else. I respect guys who are willing to support who they like, regardless of how unpopular their favorite brand might be. Like when we are kids, most guys own a ball cap of their local pro ball team. As they get older, they toss it out in favor of hats representing whatever team is currently the popular one. I have to give props to the guy who continues to rep his city/team even during the bad times.

I hear a bit of negativity about Haro from time to time. I don’t let it bother me though because most of it is coming from guys who didn’t get the luxury of literally watching BMX being born. They didn’t grow up watching Bob Haro, and Dennis McCoy, and others literally inventing gold standards of BMX on those early Freestyler frames. They didn’t experience the thrill of being the only kid in their town with a new Haro Master on Christmas morning. And... that’s okay.

I did experience all of those things. And, those experiences shaped my opinion of my favorite brand in a way that can’t be minimized by negativity.

The brands to avoid? All of them that don’t speak to you. That would be my answer in short form. Avoid all of them that don’t speak to you. Don’t concern yourself with popularity. Get a bike that you are comfortable on, made by a company whose products you trust, and don’t buy hype.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

11/10/2020 8:04 PM

@Sum FatOld Dude Well said!! Reading your post reminding me of the old "console wars". Off topic but, I remeber most of the school kids had a Nintendo ( Im talking 86-87 ) and I was one of the few who owned a Sega. I didnt care that it wasnt as popular. I too loved the Sega brand and was loyal till they were no more. Im also at the age that I dont care about trends, or being cool, none of that bs. I get what I feel is good for me. Love your post man.

|