What BMX brands should be avoided?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2020 8:13 PM

younggotti wrote:

No you can have your opinion...it's the reasoning behind the opinion That doesn't make any sense

I too think pizza seats are wack but that means the idea is wack, not the company itself...the companies job is to make things ppl want

What is under the kink label that is a gimmick? Sunday makes a bunch of funky colors I'm not into but they usually have raw or black so who cares at the end of the day

Can you explain how companies making completes make Bmx look corny? How making things ppl like...even if you and I don't..is making Bmx look corny? They are still supporting the core Bmx crowd

And mission isn't needed to stay afloat...it was probably started so they could keep parts for their completes in house and didn't have to outsource....in my experience mission has been just as good as many more expensive companies

Everyone views riding differently.

Yes but if the company is creating what is wack then the company itself becomes what is wack. Somebodies got to make the wack shit and when they do they're creating the wack.

Tbh I haven't looked at kink parts in a while, but I remember some goofy seats and the titanium headset lol. Imagine spending 100 dollars on a bearing. Also I've rode kink parts infact the badger bars I still own although I'm pretty sure they're bent they were nice when I got them. I remember the incite hub being pretty trash though. I think I kept it for 2 weeks. To be fair that was Sunday's thing, what they were known for the wave tubing and neon colors.

Making completes isn't corny, somebody has to. Although a company who never made completes for example and was strictly a high end brand that starts making completes is wack. Fly comes to mind being a strictly high end premier brand then going on to make weak completes, lower their quality on after market frames and parts and make a whole new budget brand all in 3-5 years. There's just something cooler to me about buying a custom bike that's not available under the same name as a 300 dollar starter bike. Elitist? maybe but oh well.

As far as neon tires, jet fuel, pizza seats, rocker mini bmx and all the other wack shit that's in bmx now, it just makes bmx look childish and sillier than it already does. It's like penny boards/long boards for skateboarders or razor scooters for street scooter riders.

I can't tell you exactly why it was created, but usually it seems companies make some shitty budget parts to bring in more money from people who don't want to buy quality parts. Like Wise, Trebol, Sunday's budget parts (lol), Mission. I've seen a lot of mission parts mostly wheels that barely spin or low end cranks. I'm sure they'd last riding casual for a month or two but I wouldn't buy any.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/10/2020 8:16 PM

Vic707b wrote:

@Sum FatOld Dude Well said!! Reading your post reminding me of the old "console wars". Off topic but, I remeber most of the school kids had a Nintendo ( Im talking 86-87 ) and I was one of the few who owned a Sega. I didnt care that it wasnt as popular. I too loved the Sega brand and was loyal till they were no more. Im also at the age that I dont care about trends, or being cool, none of that bs. I get what I feel is good for me. Love your post man.

The Dreamcast was ahead of it's time, I still have mine as well as the Genesis. Always wanted a Sega saturn too but they're pricey these days lol.

|

11/10/2020 8:47 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

I’m too old and out of touch with what is popular to be able to offer a lot, but since this is a forum... I will give what little input I have anyway.

When I was a kid, I rode Haro. It was (at least among my circle of friends), the top of the food chain for BMX at that time, and my folks were so awesome to have saved the money it took to get me one. Back then, the other companies with top reputations among my peers were GT, Mongoose, and Redline although I never did know anyone who actually owned a Redline.

When I recently jumped back into BMX, I quickly made the decision to buy a Haro. I also bought my son a Haro. It doesn’t mean that I believe other brands are crap. It just means that I view Haro as a very good quality bike, and have confidence in the fact that they have remained relevant in BMX for so many years. I trust that they will be around, and believe that they are a name that any BMX rider could be proud to have in their bike.

What I have a problem with, is the trendiness of not only BMX, but of society in general. So many people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of praising whatever the flavor of the month is, and bashing everything else. I respect guys who are willing to support who they like, regardless of how unpopular their favorite brand might be. Like when we are kids, most guys own a ball cap of their local pro ball team. As they get older, they toss it out in favor of hats representing whatever team is currently the popular one. I have to give props to the guy who continues to rep his city/team even during the bad times.

I hear a bit of negativity about Haro from time to time. I don’t let it bother me though because most of it is coming from guys who didn’t get the luxury of literally watching BMX being born. They didn’t grow up watching Bob Haro, and Dennis McCoy, and others literally inventing gold standards of BMX on those early Freestyler frames. They didn’t experience the thrill of being the only kid in their town with a new Haro Master on Christmas morning. And... that’s okay.

I did experience all of those things. And, those experiences shaped my opinion of my favorite brand in a way that can’t be minimized by negativity.

The brands to avoid? All of them that don’t speak to you. That would be my answer in short form. Avoid all of them that don’t speak to you. Don’t concern yourself with popularity. Get a bike that you are comfortable on, made by a company whose products you trust, and don’t buy hype.

Right on...

1988 I had a Redline RL20B but really wanted a Hutch Trickstar.. My little sister actually had a Haro I forget which model, but it was chrome, wasn't a Master...

My old whip..(Odyssey Rx5 brake levers, Odyssey seat post, Odyssey Gyro, Odyssey I forget what else..........) Talk about core BMX.....

Photo

|

11/10/2020 11:42 PM

Four wrote:

I ride a bike, it’s got no color on it, 2 piece bars and no pegs.

There’s plenty of companies out there doing cool shit but few people look for it and just buy whatever’s trendy. Everything I named is mostly low end, overpriced or has some cringe gimmick to it.

.pegless. wrote:

Sounds a lot like my bike haha

Four wrote:

Lol yes I’m also still rolling with the small tires as well. Sadly no front load stem as my back wont allow it anymore.

Slammed frontload for me but 9.2” bars. I’m still on 2.25 faf’s but they’re bald. I’ve got some 2.4 speedballs but don’t think they’ll fit my forks so might look for some more fafs. 2.1 are better for dropout smiths anyway haha

|

11/11/2020 1:02 AM

Four wrote:

The Dreamcast was ahead of it's time, I still have mine as well as the Genesis. Always wanted a Sega saturn too but they're pricey these days lol.

Most def. The Saturn system is not too expensive, its the freakin games that are. Im glad I bought all my old school stuff back in the day and kept most of it. I have a Saturn copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Just checked the other day. It goes online regularly for $800.00 plus!! No way I would pay that kind of money for one game.

|

11/11/2020 1:20 AM

I definitely agree with the face and image of a company being a huge deal.

If Harry or Ryan (Mafia/Collective) had simply told facts not fiction about their clearly entry level bikes, I would’ve probably been inclined to run some aftermarket Mafia parts because I like Harry as a rider. But of course, to maximize s t o n k s they used their following to make some serious money.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/11/2020 5:20 AM

Four wrote:

I don't need justification as to why I don't like a brand haha. If I think it's wack I think it's wack.

Sure there's a market, doesn't mean it isn't corny to make a fucking pizza print, some other print seat or neon tires lol.

Sure by 5 years or so but they've had to make low end completes, silly gimmicky parts, and sell shitty parts under "mission" to stay afloat. Federal is pretty much the same shit it was in 2000 except no flatland frames anymore. If federal goes out and makes a 300 dollar complete bike and budget parts I'll think that's wack too. They're one of the few companies who haven't made a bunch of low end bikes to make money.

I don't really care much about bmx events but again, it's imo about the integrity of the company if they make a bunch of shit that makes bmx look corny and lame I'm still unimpressed with a jam or whatever.

Most frames made overseas are all the same with different stickers. So whatever you're buying in the same price range is USUALLY around the same quality. The federal frames typically have a few more features than a generic frame (ICS cs/backend, Engraved headtube and seatstays etc) but overall yes the strength is probably comparable.

Remember this is all based on MY opinion or experience with parts lol. Which is why I said "I" would not ride. I think your and another members favorite company or whatever is wack, you like them, it's your bike not mine ride the parts you like.

Also not every company I listed is bad. For example: sunday and s&m aren't bad companies but I wouldn't pay 400+ dollars for one of their frames. In fact I've had 5 sunday frames. G sport doesn't make horrible wheels but for the price and reputation they hold I was unimpressed when they've held up worse than most other wheels I've had so I doubt I'd buy another set.

younggotti wrote:

No you can have your opinion...it's the reasoning behind the opinion That doesn't make any sense

I too think pizza seats are wack but that means the idea is wack, not the company itself...the companies job is to make things ppl want

What is under the kink label that is a gimmick? Sunday makes a bunch of funky colors I'm not into but they usually have raw or black so who cares at the end of the day

Can you explain how companies making completes make Bmx look corny? How making things ppl like...even if you and I don't..is making Bmx look corny? They are still supporting the core Bmx crowd

And mission isn't needed to stay afloat...it was probably started so they could keep parts for their completes in house and didn't have to outsource....in my experience mission has been just as good as many more expensive companies

Four wrote:

Yes but if the company is creating what is wack then the company itself becomes what is wack. Somebodies got to make the wack shit and when they do they're creating the wack.

Tbh I haven't looked at kink parts in a while, but I remember some goofy seats and the titanium headset lol. Imagine spending 100 dollars on a bearing. Also I've rode kink parts infact the badger bars I still own although I'm pretty sure they're bent they were nice when I got them. I remember the incite hub being pretty trash though. I think I kept it for 2 weeks. To be fair that was Sunday's thing, what they were known for the wave tubing and neon colors.

Making completes isn't corny, somebody has to. Although a company who never made completes for example and was strictly a high end brand that starts making completes is wack. Fly comes to mind being a strictly high end premier brand then going on to make weak completes, lower their quality on after market frames and parts and make a whole new budget brand all in 3-5 years. There's just something cooler to me about buying a custom bike that's not available under the same name as a 300 dollar starter bike. Elitist? maybe but oh well.

As far as neon tires, jet fuel, pizza seats, rocker mini bmx and all the other wack shit that's in bmx now, it just makes bmx look childish and sillier than it already does. It's like penny boards/long boards for skateboarders or razor scooters for street scooter riders.

I can't tell you exactly why it was created, but usually it seems companies make some shitty budget parts to bring in more money from people who don't want to buy quality parts. Like Wise, Trebol, Sunday's budget parts (lol), Mission. I've seen a lot of mission parts mostly wheels that barely spin or low end cranks. I'm sure they'd last riding casual for a month or two but I wouldn't buy any.

But the fly aftermarket product can be made exactly the same...just because they added in completes doesn't mean the high end stuff changed

Toyota adds a budget model...doesn't make the Lexus any worse

Every company had parts that break or aren't good...hell when I got my federal nation frame ppl were saying they were twisting the rear ends on them constantly

Budget parts are made for ppl with a lower budget and there's nothing wrong or corny with not being able to pay for the expensive stuff...I have a mission freecoaster wheel on a mission pinned rim..no issues...upgraded to a demolition rotator wheel and 2 months later I'm taking it to a bike shop today to get spokes replaced and it trued

But do you, I think your thinking way to much into things that aren't real issues

I'm done after this...but long boards serve a purpose and can be cool...skateboards are always wack

|

11/11/2020 6:50 AM

Four wrote:

nobody paying me to advertise their company lmao

But just to name one Federal is a respectable brand.

A broomstick? It would not be as cool as ur 2018 kink whip w/ mission wheels

younggotti wrote:

for the price the whip is the best beginner bike on the market...unless you know of something you feel is better

i like federal and all but they aren't any different than 90% of the brands out there

Four wrote:

I don’t care about completes tbh they’re for kids just starting.

That’s the point is federal is just a straight bmx company, no gimmick, no starter bikes with brakes and reflectors, no youtuber giveaways. other than some goofy logo tires they made they’re just a bike brand. Same thing as animal, mutiny, primo, t1 or any other legit company.

Anyone else find it funny that all the "Legit" Companys you listed above are either broke or should be out of business but there screwing everyone over to stay in business.

Everyone complains about how companies are just in business to make money and not support the scene.
1. You have to make money if your in business, if your not you cant support the scene.
2 You may need to make weird shit if that is what people want. If it sells you make it. That's business.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/11/2020 6:57 AM

Four wrote:

I don't need justification as to why I don't like a brand haha. If I think it's wack I think it's wack.

Sure there's a market, doesn't mean it isn't corny to make a fucking pizza print, some other print seat or neon tires lol.

Sure by 5 years or so but they've had to make low end completes, silly gimmicky parts, and sell shitty parts under "mission" to stay afloat. Federal is pretty much the same shit it was in 2000 except no flatland frames anymore. If federal goes out and makes a 300 dollar complete bike and budget parts I'll think that's wack too. They're one of the few companies who haven't made a bunch of low end bikes to make money.

I don't really care much about bmx events but again, it's imo about the integrity of the company if they make a bunch of shit that makes bmx look corny and lame I'm still unimpressed with a jam or whatever.

Most frames made overseas are all the same with different stickers. So whatever you're buying in the same price range is USUALLY around the same quality. The federal frames typically have a few more features than a generic frame (ICS cs/backend, Engraved headtube and seatstays etc) but overall yes the strength is probably comparable.

Remember this is all based on MY opinion or experience with parts lol. Which is why I said "I" would not ride. I think your and another members favorite company or whatever is wack, you like them, it's your bike not mine ride the parts you like.

Also not every company I listed is bad. For example: sunday and s&m aren't bad companies but I wouldn't pay 400+ dollars for one of their frames. In fact I've had 5 sunday frames. G sport doesn't make horrible wheels but for the price and reputation they hold I was unimpressed when they've held up worse than most other wheels I've had so I doubt I'd buy another set.

younggotti wrote:

Four wrote:

So how come Federal Bikes makes this weird shit?
https://federalbikes.com/collections/seats/products/federal-mid-tripod-logo-seat-tie-dye-with-thicker-black-embroidery?variant=44575649925
https://federalbikes.com/collections/seats/products/federal-mid-pivtoal-roses-seat-black-red-with-white-logo?variant=6886125010978

Who the fuck would ride these? https://federalbikes.com/collections/tyres

And why do the still have Stevie Churchill branded stuff on there website? He hasn't ridden for them for a couple years.

What it comes down to is that you have no idea what your are talking about. Quit trying to blow smoke up everyones butt and think that you have some inside track on all the core "BMX" Companies

The only one i will give you is that Fly Bikes keeps there stuff looking very normal colors etc. But if no one wants that... guess what, it doesnt sell.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/11/2020 7:49 AM

Ok, I work in the BMX industry so lets get a couple of things straight.

First of all, brands are not product. Product is not a brand.

Secondly, you get what you pay for. If you buy a low end complete and ride it at a high level, it will fail no matter who's name is on it.

Brands are a marketing term that represent a look, vibe or style of riding/personality.

Now to answer the question- We should all avoid the brands that don't contribute back to BMX. Do they sponsor riders and give them a paycheck? Do they sponsor events? Do they help out bike shops? If a brand is only taking and not giving back to BMX, those are the ones to avoid.

|

None of it matters when you are actually riding the bike.

11/11/2020 8:06 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

https://federalbikes.com/collections/seats/products/federal-mid-tripod-logo-seat-tie-dye-with-thicker-black-embroidery?variant=44575649925
https://federalbikes.com/collections/seats/products/federal-mid-pivtoal-roses-seat-black-red-with-white-logo?variant=6886125010978

And why do the still have Stevie Churchill branded stuff on there website? He hasn't ridden for them for a couple years.

What it comes down to is that you have no idea what your are talking about. Quit trying to blow smoke up everyones butt and think that you have some inside track on all the core "BMX" Companies

The only one i will give you is that Fly Bikes keeps there stuff looking very normal colors etc. But if no one wants that... guess what, it doesnt sell.

Those parts aren't in my taste which if you read originally I said the tires specifically looked wack.

Stevie left a few years ago, you do realize companies make a run of parts and just because a rider leaves their team doesn't mean they're just going to throw thousands of dollars of merchandise in the trash right? they still sell it until the inventory is cleared.

As I've said I'm not a fanboy to any brand, if federal makes a budget company and entry level completes I'll think it's lame. So dissecting a company doesn't really matter to me lol. If you think Federal is lame, cool. Idrc.

I'm not blowing smoke up anyones ass or claiming to have an inside track. If i think a company is wack they're wack to me and I don't want their parts on my bike. Simple. Bmx is different to everyone. You may be into youtube bmx vloggers, budget parts and 300 dollar complete bikes but to me it's wack.

If you read I said fly was wack for their quality going down and starting "trebol" which indeed is lame.

I also like how your arguments are " but it sells" lmao like that means it's cool. A lot of wack shit sells because people follow trends. Brands like animal or T1 have a loyal fanbase maybe not the most money but they've stayed pretty true to the brand and image vs making whatever bullshit sells.

I get it man you're a kink fanboy and are triggered because I think the companies you like are wack. You can ride a jetfuel hyper with all kink and mission parts it doesn't effect me nor do I care about your bike.

|

11/11/2020 8:16 AM

younggotti wrote:

But the fly aftermarket product can be made exactly the same...just because they added in completes doesn't mean the high end stuff changed

Every company had parts that break or aren't good...hell when I got my federal nation frame ppl were saying they were twisting the rear ends on them constantly

Budget parts are made for ppl with a lower budget and there's nothing wrong or corny with not being able to pay for the expensive stuff...I have a mission freecoaster wheel on a mission pinned rim..no issues...upgraded to a demolition rotator wheel and 2 months later I'm taking it to a bike shop today to get spokes replaced and it trued

But do you, I think your thinking way to much into things that aren't real issues

I'm done after this...but long boards serve a purpose and can be cool...skateboards are always wack

That's true but Imo it makes the brand seem wack and I'd rather support brands making strictly aftermarket shit not just putting out cheap parts to sell quick.

That's right, I've even broke sunday frames. All parts break. As I've said most high end stuff is the same factory made parts.

Budget parts wouldn't hold up to someone who rides hard. And most people who buy budget parts end up having to buy the legit part later on spending more than they would just buying the part. If you're on a budget buy used. I did that for years.

Agreed man buy the parts you like Idc. I'm not thinking much into it at all, if I don't like the company, riders, image, parts or think their business plan is wack I simply don't buy it and look for smaller companies I find cool. As I've said bmx is subjective and is different for everyone. There's plenty of purist and elitists in bmx not just me.

skateboarding, inline, bmx it's all the same shit.

|

11/11/2020 8:18 AM

Vic707b wrote:

Most def. The Saturn system is not too expensive, its the freakin games that are. Im glad I bought all my old school stuff back in the day and kept most of it. I have a Saturn copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Just checked the other day. It goes online regularly for $800.00 plus!! No way I would pay that kind of money for one game.

Yup the games are a ton. I'm a big fan of the 2d fighters of that era. Haha yeah Panzer Dragoon Saga goes for a ton these days it's like the grail of saturn games lol. Cool shit man.

|

11/11/2020 8:20 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Slammed frontload for me but 9.2” bars. I’m still on 2.25 faf’s but they’re bald. I’ve got some 2.4 speedballs but don’t think they’ll fit my forks so might look for some more fafs. 2.1 are better for dropout smiths anyway haha

Frontloads look way better I had a Solid lite stem for years but my back hurts too much to rock it sadly. 9 + TL for me. I'm on 2.2 momentums tried 2.5/2.35 federals and they were too sluggish. I wish there was a ledge with the right angle to dropout smith here super fun trick haha.

|

11/11/2020 8:45 AM

Four wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Four wrote:

That's true but Imo it makes the brand seem wack and I'd rather support brands making strictly aftermarket shit not just putting out cheap parts to sell quick.

That's right, I've even broke sunday frames. All parts break. As I've said most high end stuff is the same factory made parts.

Budget parts wouldn't hold up to someone who rides hard. And most people who buy budget parts end up having to buy the legit part later on spending more than they would just buying the part. If you're on a budget buy used. I did that for years.

Agreed man buy the parts you like Idc. I'm not thinking much into it at all, if I don't like the company, riders, image, parts or think their business plan is wack I simply don't buy it and look for smaller companies I find cool. As I've said bmx is subjective and is different for everyone. There's plenty of purist and elitists in bmx not just me.

Your reasoning is pretty interesting... But i cant get my head that far up my ass

|

Husky Nation Member

11/11/2020 9:07 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

Your reasoning is pretty interesting... But i cant get my head that far up my ass

Obviously because it's too far up Kink's ass

|

11/11/2020 9:14 AM

Four wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

Those parts aren't in my taste which if you read originally I said the tires specifically looked wack.

Stevie left a few years ago, you do realize companies make a run of parts and just because a rider leaves their team doesn't mean they're just going to throw thousands of dollars of merchandise in the trash right? they still sell it until the inventory is cleared.

As I've said I'm not a fanboy to any brand, if federal makes a budget company and entry level completes I'll think it's lame. So dissecting a company doesn't really matter to me lol. If you think Federal is lame, cool. Idrc.

I'm not blowing smoke up anyones ass or claiming to have an inside track. If i think a company is wack they're wack to me and I don't want their parts on my bike. Simple. Bmx is different to everyone. You may be into youtube bmx vloggers, budget parts and 300 dollar complete bikes but to me it's wack.

If you read I said fly was wack for their quality going down and starting "trebol" which indeed is lame.

I also like how your arguments are " but it sells" lmao like that means it's cool. A lot of wack shit sells because people follow trends. Brands like animal or T1 have a loyal fanbase maybe not the most money but they've stayed pretty true to the brand and image vs making whatever bullshit sells.

I get it man you're a kink fanboy and are triggered because I think the companies you like are wack. You can ride a jetfuel hyper with all kink and mission parts it doesn't effect me nor do I care about your bike.

I bought a Fly top of the line complete with Trebol parts before I knew better. I'm interested in their magneto hub but that's about it. I will give them the credit though for having the best photography on their parts. They make their parts look fantastic in pics...

|

11/11/2020 9:20 AM

I thought the fly Orion complete bike looked pretty dope I almost wanted to get one

|

11/11/2020 9:24 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Did you get the 2.4 speedballs in a trade, or something? 2.5" inflated width with a 21" diameter is no joke. lol

I know the 2.1 speedball has 2.24" as the inflated width, but mine actually measured 2.17" (if you're looking for a skinnier tire).

|

11/11/2020 12:05 PM

pnfdog wrote:

I bought a Fly top of the line complete with Trebol parts before I knew better. I'm interested in their magneto hub but that's about it. I will give them the credit though for having the best photography on their parts. They make their parts look fantastic in pics...

agreed. my old flybikes proton 2018 frame looked super cool in person but in the promotion pictures it looked even better. they do have amazing promo photos.

|

11/11/2020 12:14 PM

Four wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

Four wrote:

Obviously because it's too far up Kink's ass

at least i dont have to worry about it breaking like the hunk of junk you have.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/11/2020 12:28 PM

pnfdog wrote:

Same here man, their hubs and new brakes interest me that's all the rest of their shit is meh, I used to love Fly when they actually made really cool stuff in all parts. Now the only thing I run Fly is chain, brakes and sometimes pedals.

|

11/11/2020 12:52 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Did you get the 2.4 speedballs in a trade, or something? 2.5" inflated width with a 21" diameter is no joke. lol

I know the 2.1 speedball has 2.24" as the inflated width, but mine actually measured 2.17" (if you're looking for a skinnier tire).

I bought them off a friend of a friend through fb a few weeks ago. I haven’t been able to pick them up yet but it sounds like they won’t fit my forks

|

11/11/2020 1:35 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

I bought them off a friend of a friend through fb a few weeks ago. I haven’t been able to pick them up yet but it sounds like they won’t fit my forks

Hit up your fork manufacturer see what they say the biggest size will fit on them.

|

11/11/2020 1:38 PM

Four wrote:

Lol yes I’m also still rolling with the small tires as well. Sadly no front load stem as my back wont allow it anymore.

.pegless. wrote:

Four wrote:

Frontloads look way better I had a Solid lite stem for years but my back hurts too much to rock it sadly. 9 + TL for me. I'm on 2.2 momentums tried 2.5/2.35 federals and they were too sluggish. I wish there was a ledge with the right angle to dropout smith here super fun trick haha.

I used to be all about front load, always preferred it over top load especially the standard no rise TLers until Colony came out with the Variant then the Squareback, now I prefer TL's but only in these brands due to material, design and rise which work out perfect for my 8.75" rise bars.

|

11/11/2020 2:10 PM

Four wrote:

pnfdog wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

Same here man, their hubs and new brakes interest me that's all the rest of their shit is meh, I used to love Fly when they actually made really cool stuff in all parts. Now the only thing I run Fly is chain, brakes and sometimes pedals.

Can confirm their new brakes are the best I’ve ever had, totally worth the price. Literally zero flex, the hanger is badass so you can adjust each arm independently, they’re fucking dope. The tractor chain has held up to sprocket disasters for about six months too, it’s on par with the interlocks I’ve had so far. They’re the only fly parts I run too lol the rest is mostly s&m, odyssey and profile

|

11/11/2020 2:12 PM

pnfdog wrote:

Out of the budget brands Trebol is one of the nicer ones to be fair. Their edits and photos were always good. They were actually one of the best companies in the mid 2000s. I’ve had lots of their parts and my first bike was a fly.

|

11/11/2020 2:13 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

at least i dont have to worry about it breaking like the hunk of junk you have.

Didn’t you already warranty one? Lol.

|

11/11/2020 2:22 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I used to be all about front load, always preferred it over top load especially the standard no rise TLers until Colony came out with the Variant then the Squareback, now I prefer TL's but only in these brands due to material, design and rise which work out perfect for my 8.75" rise bars.

Frontload always looked better. I switched to topload when my back got worse. Riding a frontload now feels like an 18” bike lol. I had a bunch of the fly potencias, solid stem, fit DLD, animal jump off, mutiny lifted (idk where it went lol), profile etc the colony stems always looked cool.

As to your other post about fly as we discussed before I relate to that. Still run the chain and pedals. I rode the headset cap with the integrated shim for like 7 years. Maybe one day they’ll make good parts again. They sold those Tierra’s so fast when they did the limited sale you’d think with KP on the team they’d bring a modern Tierra out (I think the v1 fit a 2.1 max lol). None of the frame, bars or forks interests me atm.

|

11/11/2020 2:41 PM

Four wrote:

pnfdog wrote:

Michael Cranston wrote:

agreed. my old flybikes proton 2018 frame looked super cool in person but in the promotion pictures it looked even better. they do have amazing promo photos.

So true. Pics way better than in person.

|