What Keeps You Motivated?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2016 5:45 PM

Honestly, I've had times when I ride where I feel wore out and completely dead on ambition. I usually have many of my music playlists at loud volumes to combat the commitment issues. What keeps you all motivated to ride and do new things?

|

3/23/2016 7:07 PM

Changing my bike setup. Adding/removing pegs or brakes. Going somewhere different, riding with new people. These days I ride solo or with whoever is at a local park at most. It will be nice to take a trip and ride or change it up with a different spot or city.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/23/2016 7:46 PM

Learning new tricks and pushing myself , their is the odd day I ride that I don't have any motivation or energy and I usually don't end up riding long those days , if I'm not riding full throttle and at least learn one new trick or scare myself on something I don't have much fun riding , helps my good buddy has been on a tear latley and has been progressing learning at least one new trick a day to so we deffinatly push each other

|

3/23/2016 7:52 PM

For me, being terrible, and the prospect that if I keep practicing that one day I won’t’ be quite as terrible….

And that I feel great for the rest of the day if I get a good ride in the morning.

|

3/23/2016 11:27 PM

It's fun. I like just hacking about, I don't really do many tricks and there's not much I want to learn. I just like the freedom of being out on my bike.

The thing that demotivates me more than anything is seeing kids thinking they're the best at a park, riding like they've got to prove themselves to someone. It looks like they're not enjoying it and only care about who sees them land tricks. Or when they see someone do a trick and they instantly have to do the same trick to prove they're better. It just seems weird to me and makes me not want to be a part of it. Especially when if they ever went anywhere else they wouldn't be able to do anything because all they do is nibble the same park every day.
I actually talk to all the younger riders and mess about with them more. Even though I'm old enough to be their dad! But they have fun and piss around, which is what it's all about really

Wow, I sound a bit salty.....

|

3/23/2016 11:30 PM

I don't have the delusion I used to have where I thought I could get really good. School occupies almost all of my time so i get maybe 1-2 days ever week where i can leave my driveway. So i just film. Its more fun for me and it pushes other people to ride better.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/24/2016 6:11 AM

riding with others is always motivating and trying to learn new tricks

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

3/24/2016 7:03 AM

The people i ride with and the spots i go to. Also, filming motivates me a lot. If i can find some sick spot then film a clip there with some cool people, i'm stoked!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/24/2016 11:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/24/2016 11:04 AM

Another big one for me , to not become a lazy morbidly obese fatass , working with this guy right now he's gotta be almost 500 pounds and the laziest piece of shit ever , always leaves his work for the next person does nothing but eat McDonald's and play video games , literally drinks a 2 litre of Coke on a 15 minute break , I just want to throw a meat grinder at his face every time I work with him , riding is pretty good motivation to want to never be like him

|

3/24/2016 11:36 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's fun. I like just hacking about, I don't really do many tricks and there's not much I want to learn. I just like the ...more

I agree actually. The 1-upmanship is stupid. The exception is when you and some buddies are messing around.

But when it is someone you don't know, it's lame.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/24/2016 3:40 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I agree actually. The 1-upmanship is stupid. The exception is when you and some buddies are messing around.

But when it is ...more

Some kid tried to one up me once smithing a ledge, until he realised I was pegless. I felt quite smug because mine was better hahaha

|

3/24/2016 4:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/24/2016 4:07 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Some kid tried to one up me once smithing a ledge, until he realised I was pegless. I felt quite smug because mine was better ...more

Nice!

I was in Lousiville KY at that big park in like 2009 and I was just having fun hammering out stupid crap on a flyout and some kid tried to one up literally everything I did with a 1 hander. I'd do a no footer, he'd add a 1 hander.

So I hammered out a no foot can no hander, a truck, a nothing and a few other moves and then he tried to just jump higher and then 360 further.

Kid was silly.

I AM however a fan of one upping buddies when you both know that's the game. A buddy will feeble a ledge, so I would feeble to manny. Then they would feeble manny 180, then I would botch the 180 and we would all have a good laugh.

The best was when we had a 1 up contest across a wedge pyramid, doing all kinds of goofy crap like skid all the way across to 180, can can rider to can plant down the other side, and so on. SO MUCH FUN.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/24/2016 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/24/2016 8:13 PM

One upping people you don't know is kinda lame , it's funny though when you see a guy and you don't one up his tricks because you want to be a nice guy and chill and see if they're down to talk to you and ride then you do something mellow and they instantly one up you then I feel it's alright to unleash the guns and shoot em down , those guys usually end up leaving quick though and I never get to know if they're chill dudes or not (met some rad dudes though it's the minority of people who enjoy life and wanna have a good time I find are the funnest to meet )

|

3/25/2016 5:05 AM

eskimojay wrote:

One upping people you don't know is kinda lame , it's funny though when you see a guy and you don't one up his tricks because ...more

This!

Gotta love it

|

If it ain't broke...

3/25/2016 6:18 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's fun. I like just hacking about, I don't really do many tricks and there's not much I want to learn. I just like the ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

But when it is ...more

Agreed 100 percent

games of BIKE and Calling the Shots are fun as hell though.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

3/25/2016 6:22 PM

Video parts or web edits. I always love a good, fresh edit that has a good tune and a good riding style. Sometimes before I go out to ride I'll re-watch a few edits and head out the door.

Another MAJOR would be friends and, mostly, games of B.I.K.E. at the local, it's a great way to learn. I played a game a few days ago and did a few little things I would've NEVER done if it wasn't for them setting the trick. We all know that feeling of rolling away from a trick for the 1st time successfully landing it. Here I am a few days later and I really wanna dial in the things that I had learned and feel totally pumped!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/27/2016 11:45 PM

Learning new stuff and progressing. It's just fun in general to get out and ride.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/28/2016 3:10 AM

I don't really care for learning tricks everytime I ride , gets stressful and painful combined with 55 hours at work in 6 days , physical actions non stop really start shutting me down .

I learn something randomly and have fun and put it into lines or combos and then when I get bored I learn something else .

Having fun is the best

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/28/2016 10:53 AM

I'm 33 about to turn 34. What motivates me the most is seeing guys older than me that are still shredding pretty hard or just still riding in general. I do focus on progression but at this point in my life I'm a lot more realistic about it.

|

4/4/2016 1:36 PM

Something that keeps me motivated is thinking about how good you could be one day if you managed to keep dedicating yourself. Think of all the good riders that we look up to, they were all at the stage you are at right now. So that just helps me realize that if I continue with BMX, I may one day be really good

|

4/4/2016 8:06 PM

My bike is my motivation! Let's not forget that even if you're not doing tricks; fundamentally its a joy to just ride on a bike for no reason what so ever.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

4/4/2016 9:05 PM

I hesitate A LOT on new tricks and I'm typically pessimistic, so when I end up landing something brand new and is actually scary as hell to me, it starts to get less scary, depending on the trick. That's pretty much what motivates me. Unless it's roof drops, then no, I definitely don't do those enough on the daily to get completely comfortable with them.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/5/2016 8:26 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

But when it is ...more

Yeah. Me and a buddy are always competing to be better, which pushes us both to get better. If I see some dude at the park doing something cool that I know I could do, I gotta try it.

Actually I haven't had the motivation to ride the past few weeks. I'd been wrapped up in school shit and stuff, plus problems with my bike, and hadn't really tried to ride. So I finally went to the park Saturday and got pumped again. I met some new guys and played B.I.K.E. and I actually learned some new stuff. Now I'm back on the bike daily.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

4/6/2016 10:40 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

This is pretty much me as well. You don't sound salty, you sound real...I absolutely hate ego and one-ups-man-ship in anything. It is a HUGE sign of insecurity. It is one thing to be proud of what you have accomplished, but another to be a jerk. I have found in life that the people that speak the loudest are the ones who are the worst at what they do

Other things to add...

The biggest motivation is just being on the bike. Seeing, and feeling the pavement or dirt go by; hearing the little sounds the bike makes - the chain rattle or the sound of every thing absorbing a the shock when I land; being out in the air...I prefer colder air...and feeling it woosh by

I like being out and seeing what other people are riding. Bikes are cool ,beautiful, personal machines. Talking tech, or history or how someone's riding evolved is very fun for me..

I also measure successes in small increments..like literally as I started to relearn how to bunny hop and jump, I started with clearing a stick...then a 2x4 laying flat, then a 2x4 on it's side...i had not ridden BMX in 20 years so I am relearning some things...and learning that older muscles don't react as quick. The small jumps are big motivators for me.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/7/2016 5:41 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

This is pretty much me as well. You don't sound salty, you sound real...I absolutely hate ego and one-ups-man-ship in ...more

After 16 years of consistent riding I have decided to become that old guy with visible seatpost and front and rear brakes. I can't do a ton with the front stoppers, but MAN THEY ARE FUN.

The other day at the park I stomped a few downside nosepick whips, a couple nosepick ETs, and was playing with a 270 nosepick on a hip.

I gotta get back over there with no one else riding.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/7/2016 6:11 PM

Chilling with the homies and shooting photos.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

4/7/2016 6:44 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

After 16 years of consistent riding I have decided to become that old guy with visible seatpost and front and rear brakes. I ...more

Yep. I will still be using my 88 Mongoose with the long white GT seat post and front brakes. You are way ahead of me with what you can do, but I will get there sometime!

The coolest thing is that my step-son is now getting into it, and I am getting to teach him the basics...as well as park and trail etiquette and respect for the activity etc. We are in the process of looking for a bike for him (and i will most likely get myself a new one just to get into the difference between old and new. Plus, it is a NEW BIKE!!! Lots of really beautiful machines out there...). Getting to see him come into the BMX world is also very motivating. I hope it gives him all of the joy it has given me

It is hard to get into our local park with out it being full. I have just been out front of the house doing some stuff off the curbs...the neighbors are all facepalming and laughing

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/8/2016 3:08 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Changing my bike setup. Adding/removing pegs or brakes. Going somewhere different, riding with new people. These days I ride ...more

This this this this this! I just went from 4 pegs to non and im loving it. Gotta keep things fresh. Switch it up, do something different, HAVE FUN

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

4/8/2016 11:38 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Yep. I will still be using my 88 Mongoose with the long white GT seat post and front brakes. You are way ahead of me with what ...more

If it is a free/city run park, try going early in the day. That's when my local is empty.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/8/2016 12:06 PM

customizing my bike and taking pride in that.
the freedom of riding.
the adrenaline.
riding with dudes better than me who force me to try new things and push my abilities even though i'm old and not too daring.
not being lazy and wanting to keep active/inshape

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands