What Should I Buy?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/4/2018 2:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2018 2:50 PM

Okay, so I created a confusing topic about some problems on my bmx bike. I have a Mongoose Legion L100, a budget bmx bike for 100% ChroMoly parts. I ride street, about every week something happens with my bike and I have to fix that certain problem.

My problem right now is not having descent money for upgrading parts on my bike. I'm 15 years old and am heavily led to saving for a car so I can't touch my own money. I can buy things with parents money, but they won't be buying things for me constantly, like cheap parts that break constantly. I try to find money saving solutions and might need help, such as right now.

My spokes on my wheel are becoming loose with whenever I go out riding my bike, especially after I session with my best friend, who recently got into bmx and lives in the city. I live in a rural area far from cities, so I bike with him. I tightened my spokes before and now I'm a little frustrated because I don't want to keep on tightening them. Some people said it was the rims and that I should just buy a new wheelset. So, should I buy a new wheelset? If you guys could give me ideas on a rear and front wheelset that will hold up to rough riding and is pretty budget friendly that would be great. laughing (Cassette Driver)

|

Gone Fishing

10/4/2018 4:05 PM

The spokes stay pretty tight but they will always loosen a little bit each time you ride. Just physics.

|

10/4/2018 4:55 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

The spokes stay pretty tight but they will always loosen a little bit each time you ride. Just physics.

Yea but it has been only a week since the last time they were tightened and now I can feel a couple loose enough that I can tighten them a bit by hand without tools. Pretty loose

|

Gone Fishing

10/4/2018 5:03 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I’m not sure that’s true. I’ve had tons of hand built wheels that have never been touched after having them built. Of course, they were built by some of the best wheel builders around who spent the proper amount of time stress releaving them before I ever saw them.

|

10/4/2018 5:09 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Koi Fish Enthusiast wrote:

Yea but it has been only a week since the last time they were tightened and now I can feel a couple loose enough that I can ...more

Were they tightened by a professional

|

10/4/2018 5:22 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Yea but it has been only a week since the last time they were tightened and now I can feel a couple loose enough that I can ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

I gave them to Dick's Sporting Good thinking that they would do a good job because of how much bikes they work on which gives them more experience.

|

Gone Fishing

10/4/2018 5:42 PM

That downvote trying to tell me somethin.. ^ silly

|

Gone Fishing

10/4/2018 5:43 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I gave them to Dick's Sporting Good thinking that they would do a good job because of how much bikes they work on which gives ...more

Learn to do it yourself..its not hard it just take patience and discipline...I bought a cheap 30$ truing stand and it works great..the problem with a corporate shop is that from my experience they will only put soo much tension on a wheel whereas if you find a bmx shop they know to make that motherfucker as stiff as they can without going overboard ..if you do build a wheel just remember everytime you think it's good put the axle on the ground and stand on the rim..spin around slowly once and put it back on the stand..if it's not tru do it again Haha

|

10/4/2018 6:06 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I gave them to Dick's Sporting Good thinking that they would do a good job because of how much bikes they work on which gives ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

Learn to do it yourself..its not hard it just take patience and discipline...I bought a cheap 30$ truing stand and it works ...more

So the plan is, invest in a truing stand and learn through what I do and stuff or just go to a proper bmx shop that will true it real nice. Able to learn how to true I think will be a worth it experience because it gives me experience on the wheel and I can true it whenver I want without cost. Alright thanks.

|

Gone Fishing

10/4/2018 7:36 PM

You don't need a truing stand, but buy a spoke key and learn to do it yourself

|

10/4/2018 7:48 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don’t listen to this guy , he’s got a bike company but could make more money with a truing stand

|

10/4/2018 8:57 PM

Fuck a car that shit will break down more than a decent bike

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/5/2018 1:49 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Don’t listen to this guy , he’s got a bike company but could make more money with a truing stand

My bike company doesn't involve building wheels. If I were building wheels for other people, I'd get a truing stand. But the average home mechanic can easily true a wheel in their frame. I build all of my own wheels and have done for over 15 years, and they come out better than most shops can do it

|

10/5/2018 4:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2018 4:52 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Correct and you only need a spoke wrench and a YouTube video to learn how to 1- Fix loose spokes 2- Fix bent rims

Solving 2 simple problems with 1 tool. And you don’t have to get say a Park Tool wrench, a cheap one from Walmart will be fine. It also can save you from flats. A lose spoke moving up and down can easily pop a tube.

I can explain to you how to fix the spokes but you can watch multiple YouTube videos and catch on faster then I can type in what to do

|

10/5/2018 5:13 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

Correct and you only need a spoke wrench and a YouTube video to learn how to 1- Fix loose spokes 2- Fix bent rims

Solving 2 ...more

By "fixing bent rims...." I assume you are referring to a wheel that is no longer true. a BENT rim is not fixable using a spoke wrench.

|

10/5/2018 6:38 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Maybe make a video and "ping" each spoke. They should sound like a decent high pitch. With most of them sounding similar in pitch. Even my 200+ dollar complete wheels need truing and tightening after some hard riding. I promised myself I would never buy another complete wheel again after I learned hot to build wheels (which is super easy).

I recommend you learn, relying on other people to fix your bike, sucks. You have to wait, you cant guarantee whoever did the job, did it right and its expensive.

|