What are the best park/street tires in 2020?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2020 3:57 AM

I’ve been wanting some new tires since my current ones are too low psi (60 max) , a little slippery and cling way too much on grinds. I’ve been looking at Sunday Street Sweepers, BSD Donnasqueaks and Maxxis Grifter. Any recommendations?

|

6/6/2020 5:08 AM

donnasqueaks are my go to, street sweepers i'd say are more street oriented and grifters are pretty much a full park tire, the BSD's are the best all rounders out of the three imo.

|

6/6/2020 6:15 AM

Always liked Eclat tires, used to ride odyssey’s until they got rid of the old path tire and the plyte and klyte aitkens, grifters are one of the best selling tires on the market I have a 2.1/2.3 grifter setup right now, demolition is making good shit too I’ve heard. Tires are cheap just send it and get different ones if you don’t like it, sell the old ones to your buddies to recoup a bit of the loss, you’ll end up like me where you go through four sets in a year finding a perfect tire then find one you like and ride them for four years and you’ll always have spares haha.

|

6/6/2020 9:11 AM

Eclat mirage.

|

6/6/2020 9:39 AM

I like my street sweeper tires...100psi and have lasted for a year with no problems, not to mention they are among the cheapest tires available in 2.4

|

6/6/2020 9:47 AM

Can’t go wrong with grifters

|

6/6/2020 9:57 AM

I’ve run Donnasqueaks for the past 6 months (2.4 front, 2.25 rear). Solid tire/good grip but they are softer than I expected. The center strip on my back tire quickly got two deep/gashes within the first week, but they have still held up. They were super squeaky when I bought them but now that a lot of the micro-knurling has worn off, not so much. I don’t ride park, all street so that has increased the wear on the tires.

I just ordered some S&M Speedballs now that they are back in stock and am pretty fired up to test them once they arrive.

|

6/6/2020 12:26 PM

Killabee tires from Total seem nice for park. A handful of park guys run racing tires and components.

I recall at one point everybody ran Donnasqueaks, but they also are very nice, so are the Donnastreets.

I just hate how nobody makes thinner tires now besides a few brands. My tire just got ripped up over smashed glass and I’m having so much trouble finding ones I like.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/6/2020 1:10 PM

vagabond wrote:

I’ve run Donnasqueaks for the past 6 months (2.4 front, 2.25 rear). Solid tire/good grip but they are softer than I expected. The center strip on my back tire quickly got two deep/gashes within the first week, but they have still held up. They were super squeaky when I bought them but now that a lot of the micro-knurling has worn off, not so much. I don’t ride park, all street so that has increased the wear on the tires.

I just ordered some S&M Speedballs now that they are back in stock and am pretty fired up to test them once they arrive.

Would the side wall of the tire wear away with lots of grinding?

|

6/6/2020 1:40 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Killabee tires from Total seem nice for park. A handful of park guys run racing tires and components.

I recall at one point everybody ran Donnasqueaks, but they also are very nice, so are the Donnastreets.

I just hate how nobody makes thinner tires now besides a few brands. My tire just got ripped up over smashed glass and I’m having so much trouble finding ones I like.

I mean..wouldn't you want a thicker tire if you're having those issues? MY GLH's are untouchable.

|





6/6/2020 1:45 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Killabee tires from Total seem nice for park. A handful of park guys run racing tires and components.

I recall at one point everybody ran Donnasqueaks, but they also are very nice, so are the Donnastreets.

I just hate how nobody makes thinner tires now besides a few brands. My tire just got ripped up over smashed glass and I’m having so much trouble finding ones I like.

Super-Pawl wrote:

I mean..wouldn't you want a thicker tire if you're having those issues? MY GLH's are untouchable.

The GLH seem like really solid tires but they are on the heavy side, and i care a lot about rotational weight

|

6/6/2020 1:52 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I mean..wouldn't you want a thicker tire if you're having those issues? MY GLH's are untouchable.

Oh, I meant thin as in thin width, not rubber. Like, sub 2.25" tires. I've had 1.95" tires for years, but it's hard to find them now.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/6/2020 1:58 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Oh, I meant thin as in thin width, not rubber. Like, sub 2.25" tires. I've had 1.95" tires for years, but it's hard to find them now.

Yeah I hear ya. I wish Khe still made their mac2's in 2.1. Now they're only 2.3-2.4" that's why I've been on grifters in 2.1 since.

|

6/6/2020 2:00 PM

are 2.1 and 2.2 “normal sized tires”?

|

6/6/2020 2:45 PM

y2_smoove wrote:

are 2.1 and 2.2 “normal sized tires”?

At one point they were, but the industry “standard” in freestyle has steadily been moving to 2.4” and 2.5” tires. I think it’s safe to say street is the dominant discipline in freestyle now, and it seems everyone prefers fatter tires.

There are countless options for street oriented tires, but for park riding, where thinner tires are usually preferred, barely any companies have options. Might be why like 90% of park riders have Grifters lol.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/6/2020 2:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2020 2:58 PM

^^^ myself and a few others still run in the 2.25f/1.95r range ... it makes steering a lil twitchier at high speeds and wallrides harder to stick but it feels much faster

i would also like to know how the speedball sidewalls hold up to grinding?

also if it says 60psi max you can pump them up to like 80 and theyll probably be fine

|

wallride a bus everyday

6/6/2020 3:17 PM

Do you think the Eclat Mirage folding tire would be a good choice? They look pretty solid and money isn’t much of a concern when it comes to tires

|

6/6/2020 3:40 PM

vagabond wrote:

I’ve run Donnasqueaks for the past 6 months (2.4 front, 2.25 rear). Solid tire/good grip but they are softer than I expected. The center strip on my back tire quickly got two deep/gashes within the first week, but they have still held up. They were super squeaky when I bought them but now that a lot of the micro-knurling has worn off, not so much. I don’t ride park, all street so that has increased the wear on the tires.

I just ordered some S&M Speedballs now that they are back in stock and am pretty fired up to test them once they arrive.

y2_smoove wrote:

Would the side wall of the tire wear away with lots of grinding?

I would say normal wear on the sides during grinds. The sides have thick’s little knobs which protect the sides pretty well yet aren’t too heavy duty or heavy. The sides also haven’t shown the same wear as the center because (obviously) I spend more time on the center line than rubbing up against walls.

A lot of the wear (besides the now-smooth center strip) tends to be on the right side of my rear tire, but that is mostly from spins/180s as I spin to my left.

|

6/6/2020 8:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2020 8:09 PM

I have only ran 4-5 different tires since getting back into bikes after a 10 year break but I can confidently say the Eclat Mirage folding and Fly Fuego are both excellent tires all around. I ride mostly street but visit some local parks on occasion. Lots of areas with glass and such and still have yet to have a flat from anything of that sort. Fuego in the front 2.3 and Mirage 2.4 in the rear. The Mirage seem to run fairly small compared to any similar tire so ended up using the 2.4 I had planned for the front in the rear.

|

6/6/2020 10:36 PM

kamkoz wrote:

I have only ran 4-5 different tires since getting back into bikes after a 10 year break but I can confidently say the Eclat Mirage folding and Fly Fuego are both excellent tires all around. I ride mostly street but visit some local parks on occasion. Lots of areas with glass and such and still have yet to have a flat from anything of that sort. Fuego in the front 2.3 and Mirage 2.4 in the rear. The Mirage seem to run fairly small compared to any similar tire so ended up using the 2.4 I had planned for the front in the rear.

Thanks, about how much smaller do the eclat mirage folding run? i heard someone brought a 2.45 and ended up with 2.25 or 2.1

|

6/6/2020 11:29 PM

Maxxis grifters.

I loved the total Killabee tires. I just with they made a 1.85.

So I’m stuck riding grifters in 2.1 and 1.85
But I love them also. So I’m not complaining that much. I just liked the totals a little more

|

6/6/2020 11:56 PM

Sounds like the Maxxis Grifter and Eclat Mirage folding tires are the way to go, i feel like the maxxis are the slightly better choice but the bright yellow ”MAXXIS” on the side of the tire would just completely kill the color combinations i have on my bike which is a huge downside

|

6/7/2020 1:57 AM

kamkoz wrote:

I have only ran 4-5 different tires since getting back into bikes after a 10 year break but I can confidently say the Eclat Mirage folding and Fly Fuego are both excellent tires all around. I ride mostly street but visit some local parks on occasion. Lots of areas with glass and such and still have yet to have a flat from anything of that sort. Fuego in the front 2.3 and Mirage 2.4 in the rear. The Mirage seem to run fairly small compared to any similar tire so ended up using the 2.4 I had planned for the front in the rear.

y2_smoove wrote:

Thanks, about how much smaller do the eclat mirage folding run? i heard someone brought a 2.45 and ended up with 2.25 or 2.1

Eclat mirage tyres are maybe a little small compared to their announced size, like my 2.35” is a 2.3” but it’s mostly that the flybikes fuego tyres are waaaaaay fatter than what they should be, their 2,3” is a 2,5” !!!

|

6/7/2020 2:31 AM

kamkoz wrote:

I have only ran 4-5 different tires since getting back into bikes after a 10 year break but I can confidently say the Eclat Mirage folding and Fly Fuego are both excellent tires all around. I ride mostly street but visit some local parks on occasion. Lots of areas with glass and such and still have yet to have a flat from anything of that sort. Fuego in the front 2.3 and Mirage 2.4 in the rear. The Mirage seem to run fairly small compared to any similar tire so ended up using the 2.4 I had planned for the front in the rear.

y2_smoove wrote:

Thanks, about how much smaller do the eclat mirage folding run? i heard someone brought a 2.45 and ended up with 2.25 or 2.1

Francky wrote:

Eclat mirage tyres are maybe a little small compared to their announced size, like my 2.35” is a 2.3” but it’s mostly that the flybikes fuego tyres are waaaaaay fatter than what they should be, their 2,3” is a 2,5” !!!

Thanks, i think i’ll end up going with the eclat mirage tires in 2.35 (2.3)

|

6/7/2020 4:12 AM

y2_smoove wrote:

Thanks, about how much smaller do the eclat mirage folding run? i heard someone brought a 2.45 and ended up with 2.25 or 2.1

Francky wrote:

Eclat mirage tyres are maybe a little small compared to their announced size, like my 2.35” is a 2.3” but it’s mostly that the flybikes fuego tyres are waaaaaay fatter than what they should be, their 2,3” is a 2,5” !!!

y2_smoove wrote:

Thanks, i think i’ll end up going with the eclat mirage tires in 2.35 (2.3)

They’re absolutely perfect, I ride them since over a year in the Kevlar version to save some rotational weight (I used to swear by bsd donnasqueaks before), and I grind a ton and ghost feeble all day on the roughest sidewalks, yet tire sidewalls doesn’t blink, also really resistant to glass and stuff.

|

6/7/2020 4:12 AM

Demolition Momentum is a solid tire for light street riding. Grippy and lightweight without going to a folding bead, which I believe is half the reason people get flats often. Can run them down at 40-50psi and they hold up nice.

|

6/7/2020 4:15 AM

streethack wrote:

Demolition Momentum is a solid tire for light street riding. Grippy and lightweight without going to a folding bead, which I believe is half the reason people get flats often. Can run them down at 40-50psi and they hold up nice.

the bad thing about those is that you would absolutely KILL those tires if you grind a lot or really aggressive

|

6/7/2020 11:40 AM

streethack wrote:

Demolition Momentum is a solid tire for light street riding. Grippy and lightweight without going to a folding bead, which I believe is half the reason people get flats often. Can run them down at 40-50psi and they hold up nice.

Demolition momentum is dumb thin, also oval shaped instead of a nice round usual tyre, so it makes it really weird to ride.
But the folding bead have NOTHING to do with getting flats, I ride eclat mirage kevlar beads since a year and half and I got like two flats, one from a fat nail that would have punctured the most bulletproof tire out there, and the second one I just cased a coping super hard sooo that’s okay

|

6/7/2020 11:54 AM

streethack wrote:

Demolition Momentum is a solid tire for light street riding. Grippy and lightweight without going to a folding bead, which I believe is half the reason people get flats often. Can run them down at 40-50psi and they hold up nice.

Francky wrote:

Demolition momentum is dumb thin, also oval shaped instead of a nice round usual tyre, so it makes it really weird to ride.
But the folding bead have NOTHING to do with getting flats, I ride eclat mirage kevlar beads since a year and half and I got like two flats, one from a fat nail that would have punctured the most bulletproof tire out there, and the second one I just cased a coping super hard sooo that’s okay

just wondering, i’ve never had a folding tire before and i heard a rumor that if you leave the tire in your car (when it’s hot outside) that the tire will explode???

|

6/7/2020 3:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2020 3:08 PM

y2_smoove wrote:

just wondering, i’ve never had a folding tire before and i heard a rumor that if you leave the tire in your car (when it’s hot outside) that the tire will explode???

I heard that too, but kevlar or steel doesn’t matter about this.

Science time, air expands while it’s hot, so the pressure rise, that’s why you don’t check your car tyre pressure after a long trip on the highway, it will rise from aroud 0,3 bar (for a car pumped around 2,4)

Altitude also plays a role and cold have the opposite effect by compacting air molecules.
This is why if you go up in the mountain and bring some food, you’ll might see your jambon or yogurt hermetic package pumped up, even if it’s cold so I guess pressure have more impact than temperature, so deflating tyres before getting into a plane can be a smart move.

I don’t know how much a bike tyre can be affected by this tho... being pumped at higher pressure in a tighter space.

|