What are the lightest frames out right now

Related:
Create New Tag

9/10/2016 6:29 AM

Been lurking danscomp for light frames. The lightest one I've found so far is the Standard 250L Frame weighing 4 lbs 6 oz. Which others you recommend ?

|

9/10/2016 8:31 AM

That's the only light frame I'd buy. It's light because it's made from ox platinum tubing, which is very light and strong. Any other light frames will be made from a more standard tubing, but will be lighter by being multi butted, or just generally less material, making them weaker than your average frame. Light bikes suck, just get something with geometry to suit your riding style

|

9/10/2016 8:58 AM

no more sub 4.5lb frames? my MacBook bibi is like 4.25 and has put up to some hell of abuse.

also no more Spanish bb's, huh? that would save an oz or two

|

wallride a bus everyday

9/10/2016 9:03 AM

jeanjeans wrote:

Been lurking danscomp for light frames. The lightest one I've found so far is the Standard 250L Frame weighing 4 lbs 6 oz. ...more

For me, If your looking for something light and strong, Cult or Total. Make sure you have a look at both, then compare them both. I currently own the Cult Hawk V2 (owned it for a nearly a year) and I haven't had any problems with it so far They are both quite pricey, depending on which one you want, but my recommendation would be Cult or Total cool

|

9/10/2016 3:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2016 3:47 PM

Ricky Veronick's custom Ti frame, haha! Don't know the exact weight of the frame itself, but his entire setup is 13.44 LBS. last time it was weighed.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/10/2016 4:21 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Ricky Veronick's custom Ti frame, haha! Don't know the exact weight of the frame itself, but his entire setup is 13.44 LBS. ...more

Yeah but ti is weaker than chromoly.

Geometry is much more important than weight (unless either are taken to the extremes). Plus if you really want to save a few grams, buy lighter wheels as the rotational weight loss will have a much bigger impact than a slightly lighter frame

|

9/10/2016 4:43 PM

I know it would be [too] expensive but I wish some company would sell a super light complete like that.

|

9/10/2016 6:47 PM

Why does it have to be so light? I'm 1984 when I started riding weight wasn't an issue. I was 130lbs and I had no issues riding the heavy skyway, cw racing bikes. Maybe hit the gym and not worry about weight. Crazy how times have changed.

|

9/10/2016 9:40 PM

Flexte wrote:

Why does it have to be so light? I'm 1984 when I started riding weight wasn't an issue. I was 130lbs and I had no issues ...more

I hear ya, I remember getting my Tuff II mags for my Supergoose, and that they weighed a ton...but you still rode and just learned to manipulate them.

Granted, newer BMX's are sweet to control without all the weight, but it is weird that people consider that first now...though tricks are more "involved" now, so I get it.

Having been in the MTB world, there are also a lot of "weight weenies" as we call them. Obviously lighter bikes are all race inspired..., but I would rather have a tank that is going to take abuse than a light bike. My MTB is 34 lbs...that makes most of my MTB buddies cringe, but when I roll over and through stuff on the trail, and they are all bouncing around and having to walk their bikes over logs, I just smirk

Not hating, just making an observation...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/11/2016 8:04 AM

Standard 250L worth every $$
Very strong and lite weight.
Things to consider:
1. Frame geo.
Chain stay 13.5 with micro drop outs.
No room for chain adjustment. I can only half link chain? 20x2.35 tire will fit. Plenty of clearance.
2. Gear ratio
29t Animal sprocket will not fit with. Oddyssey thunder Bolt cranks
28t Animal sprocket fits with mm to spare
3. Weight
If you're going to run fat tires with heavy parts? Just but a 5lbs frame
For example. If I run Perfect 10 bars and Animal GLH tires 25 lbs bike
Shadow bars Oddyssey path tires 24lbs bike.
This is my opinion...

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

9/11/2016 4:01 PM

impurity haf is the same as the standard and is very strong

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

9/11/2016 5:05 PM

Lightest frame is the Premium Guttershark v2. 3lb 12oz. Comes in 20.5, 20.8, and 21". 13.75" rear end doe. 325$ on Acebmx. I'm wondering how wide of a tire the v2 can clear. I ordered one last night. The Fly Tierra is pretty light too if you can find it, it's cheap. I have that frame right now. Also the Feind JJ Palmere v1 is only $240 on sale and it's an extremely nice frame, it's sub 4.5 pounds. Double tapered stays which is very uncommon on Bmx frame sets, it looks sick. If I don't like the rear end on the Guttershark I'm going to switch to the Palmere.

|

9/12/2016 7:23 AM

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

9/12/2016 10:55 AM

Flexte wrote:

Why does it have to be so light? I'm 1984 when I started riding weight wasn't an issue. I was 130lbs and I had no issues ...more

sXeBMXer wrote:

I hear ya, I remember getting my Tuff II mags for my Supergoose, and that they weighed a ton...but you still rode and just ...more

My fatbike is 2 lbs heavier and totally stock tongue

But yea, 25ish lbs is a great strength/weight to aim for.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2016 12:35 PM

|

It’s all bmx

9/12/2016 2:03 PM

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/12/2016 7:03 PM

Flexte wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I hear ya, I remember getting my Tuff II mags for my Supergoose, and that they weighed a ton...but you still rode and just ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

My fatbike is 2 lbs heavier and totally stock tongue

But yea, 25ish lbs is a great strength/weight to aim for.

What kind of Fat is it? Mine is a Surly Krampus...29+ so sorta fat...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

9/12/2016 7:31 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Fair point, the BMX racing scene is another story weight-wise.

Ti Grim Reaper is 2.7 Lbs. http://www.cycleexif.com/eastern-bikes-ti-grim-reaper

Booya.

And SXE, my fatbike is a Charge Cooker Maxi 1 I snagged off eBay back at the end of Winter here in MN. We got like 1 inch of snow after I got it, so it hasn't touched much. A little singletrack here or there too. I live an hour from Cuyuna, which is one of if not the best MTB trails in the upper midwest, 40+ miles in and around minepit lakes in the Iron Range of MN.
Photo

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2016 9:50 PM

|

9/13/2016 9:43 AM

Lairdframe.com

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

9/13/2016 10:36 AM

|

9/14/2016 8:33 AM

Don't be a weight weenie and just buy something that's strong and you like the look of.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

9/14/2016 8:41 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Ti Grim Reaper is 2.7 Lbs. http://www.cycleexif.com/eastern-bikes-ti-grim-reaper

Booya.

And SXE, my fatbike is a Charge ...more

that is sweet!!!

and Minnesota w/o snow? THAT is a travesty. I would love to come up and ride that park. We used to cross country ski near up near International Falls waayyy back int he 80's. I miss MN...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

9/14/2016 9:37 AM

owen.lox wrote:

Don't be a weight weenie and just buy something that's strong and you like the look of.

Why not both?

Photo

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

9/14/2016 11:03 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

that is sweet!!!

and Minnesota w/o snow? THAT is a travesty. I would love to come up and ride that park. We used to cross ...more

Yea haha, it was the end of winter (I wanna say March or getting close to April) so the snow tapered off.

Cuyuna was awesome the one time I rode there a few years back.

If you ever make it up this way, let me know, there is a 17k sq foot concrete plaza in my town that's pretty fun.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2016 7:14 PM

Find a kid on classifieds with a premium guttershark and snatch it for 100 bucks. i was just about to buy a used custom with one for 150, just cause it was 150

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/14/2016 8:42 PM

also don't forget the Guerra Martyr frame. Made by Haro, it is basically just a Guttershark with a crazy eruo bb. Look it up. You'll have to find a pre-owned one but I think that might just be the lightest non-titanium frame you can get

|

9/15/2016 10:07 AM

Hit the track!!!

|

It’s all bmx

9/15/2016 11:23 AM

mafia justice frame is 4.7 lbs
mafia hitmain frame is 4.9 lbs

|

9/17/2016 6:36 PM

geoluv wrote:

also don't forget the Guerra Martyr frame. Made by Haro, it is basically just a Guttershark with a crazy eruo bb. Look it up. ...more

what about when you need to replace the bb and realize there are no more??

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert