What are your most common BMX bike shop tools?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/1/2018 5:59 PM

I’m about to do a full bike build for the first time since the 80’s lmao! Old!! Just wondering what specific tools I would need for bikes, aside from a chain tool. I have everything to work on automotive. Any special bike tools needed to install the MID bottom bracket kit and cranks? Or can I just use an automotive bearing/race driver kit?

To Order on Amazon List:
-Portable Bike Stand
-Chain Tool
-?? LMK Folks

|

2/1/2018 6:07 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

I’m about to do a full bike build for the first time since the 80’s lmao! Old!! Just wondering what specific tools I would ...more

You could even do without a chaintool. I have put chains together with a vice.

Chaintools make things a lot easier though...lol

You should be good if you have tools for working on vehicles.

Maybe a pedal wrench.

|

2/1/2018 6:16 PM

Pedal wrench makes life easier unless the pedals have the Allen key option

|

brakeless maniac

2/1/2018 6:22 PM

Mandatory tools are typically

17mm socket w / extension
Allan key set ( make sure it’s not imperial )
Chainbreaker
For your BB installation I used a cutting board and a rubber mallet and it worked like a charm

Other then that , things like pliers , screwdrivers , and other things are handy but I use them on occasion .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/1/2018 10:25 PM

That depends what all parts you're getting. A lot of complete bikes are different, but you said you're doing a full build so I assume that means all custom built, so I'll list the most typical tools and alternatives to them

-17mm wrench. Box end/combination work best, open ended ones can slip too easily. Adjustable wrenches are okay in a pinch but I'd avoid them too as they can slip easily as well. Or socket, especially if you're going to be using pegs, you'll need an extension too if that's the case

-6mm allen wrench. T-handle ones help a lot too

-5mm allen wrench. Sometimes some builds don't use anything 5mm, but if you're going to be using brakes then they'll need a 5mm. better to have it anyway just in case

-pedal wrench. you can use a 15mm wrench but a pedal wrench offers more leverage. left side pedal is reverse threaded btw keep that in mind

-bearing press. obviously probably hardly any of us have this but the usual method is a block of wood and a hammer to tap them in. or a punch, hammer and a careful hand to make sure you don't strike it wrong (hit the metal outer rings, not the inner and definitely not the seal. I'd avoid this method if you're unsure of what you're doing) I'm not too sure what an automotive bearing/race driver kit is but from googling it it looks like works essentially the same as just pressing the bearing in, in which case that'd be fine. just make sure it goes in straight. alternatively you could ghetto rig a bearing press using a couple nuts, washers, and a threaded rod for the nuts to thread onto. that's basically what a bearing press is anyway. like this

-air pump

-tire levers. they make installing the tires easier, also make sure you have rim stripes or at least electrical tape to use as a rim strip

-GREASE. all-purpose will be fine, just grease things wear metal goes into contact with other metal like the headset bearings, bb bearings, pedal threads, crank bolts, spindle, etc. don't grease the steerer tube(though, DO grease the threads on the fork bolt)

-cutters, if you're using brakes. good ones otherwise you'll fray the ends

-spoke wrench. not needed unless you're building your wheels from scratch, but handy to have in the future

|

2/1/2018 10:58 PM

I can do everything on my bike with 4 Allen keys and a chain tool (and a rubber mallet for putting a bb in). But a pedal spanner will give you better torque on your pedals. It depends on the parts really. You might need a 17mm and 15mm socket with extension if you have male axles and pegs. A 2.5mm or 3mm allen key for any grub screws on a brake set up. 1/4" or 6mm (depending how old they are) and 7/32" allen key for profile cranks (for a while they also used a 7mm allen key).

But yeah, there's not really any specific tools. A crank fitting/extracting tool is good for brand new cranks. You can get away with just using the bolt. But the first time you put em on the splines will be really snug. You can get a bearing press for the bb, but a lot of bike specific presses don't fit through a 19mm bearing, and are designed more for headsets

|

2/2/2018 5:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks! How about a tool for the forks? It looks like the Fiction Troop Forks require a press-on bearing race.

|

2/2/2018 5:16 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies folks! How about a tool for the forks? It looks like the Fiction Troop Forks require a press-on ...more

I have just smacked em on with a hammer before. Not recommended but it worked. Lol

|

2/2/2018 5:19 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

That depends what all parts you're getting. A lot of complete bikes are different, but you said you're doing a full build so I ...more

Get steel reinforced tire levers! The cheap plastic ones are only good for tires you can put on by hand. Make sure they are plastic coated though to protect your rims.

|

2/3/2018 11:44 AM

Can't forgot the grinder

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/3/2018 11:45 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

Can't forgot the grinder

In both senses of the word? tongue

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/3/2018 12:28 PM

peggiesmalls wrote:

Can't forgot the grinder

p1p1092 wrote:

In both senses of the word? tongue

Exactly

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/3/2018 3:38 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies folks! How about a tool for the forks? It looks like the Fiction Troop Forks require a press-on ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I have just smacked em on with a hammer before. Not recommended but it worked. Lol

Haha I just saw some vids on YouTube. Looks like some 1 1/4” PVC and rubber mallet should do the trick

|

2/3/2018 3:45 PM

A large 3/4" by 8" bolt with greased threads with 2 nuts (only really need one) and large washers is the best and quickest way to install a bottom bracket of any size (bore and width), and I even used my homemade press to put in standard headtube bearings. Dirt cheap too, just go to any hardware store. Avoid this wood and mallet nonsense, its an absolute pain to get the bearings in that way.

Bearing races for the fork kind of depend on what you're buying. Some just slide on, others are a little more difficult (me and my buddy needed a torch to get the race onto some Pitchforks but that was last resort)

|

2/3/2018 5:37 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

most newer headsets include a race that has a slit in them like this which you can usually just get on by hand.

Photo

|

2/3/2018 9:35 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

A large 3/4" by 8" bolt with greased threads with 2 nuts (only really need one) and large washers is the best and quickest way ...more

Easy enough. Will be going this route for sure.

|