What area for two quarters and a spine

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2019 8:45 AM

Hi,

I'm looking into building a 6ft mini ramp in my garden. I'd like to put a spine in the middle. Initially I was thinking a 6ft quarter at either end of the garden with the flat deck out of some kind of decorative decking. The usable length of the garden is 50 odd ft long.
Space is tight width wise so I can only go about 10ft wide, my question is how long would it be in total and I how tall should I make the spine? should I use an 8ft transition for both the quarters and the spine?
I was half thinking of having a 5ft wide spine and not permanently fixing it down so the flat decking can be used by the kids to play on in winter.
I'm 38 and not so great at park stuff so having a ramp in my garden to play on without others watching the crap old guy would be good. Who knows, the kids may end up using it.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

|

4/5/2019 9:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2019 9:28 AM

I feel the General good starting minimum length of a mini ramps flat is 2x the ramp's height. So 6ft high, 12ft of flat between each QP and the spine. with reasonable BMX sized decks, i think you'll be using basically all that 50Ft.

10Ft wide for a 6ft spine ramp is gonna be crazy. i'd probably start considering 3-4 ft.

|

4/9/2019 2:28 AM

Thanks for your reply jmz.
Its always going to be a compromise and the problem is the width, it's not the wideat garden (25ftish). I'm happy to use the full length as I can make the flat section out of something 'decorative' and use it as a kind of patio as long as the spine can be moved.
How high would you make the spine? As high as the quarters or a ft or so less?

|

4/9/2019 4:30 AM

Thanks for your reply jmz.
Its always going to be a compromise and the problem is the width, it's not the wideat garden (25ftish). I'm happy to use the full length as I can make the flat section out of something 'decorative' and use it as a kind of patio as long as the spine can be moved.
How high would you make the spine? As high as the quarters or a ft or so less?

|

4/9/2019 4:48 AM

My first question is do you have experience riding spines? If not, maybe consider either smaller (4.5 feet or so tall) OR make a spox (too long to be a spine, to short to be a box jump) or even just not making it that long.

As to width-10 feet isn't bad-just means less carving room. I've had tons of fun on a 4 foot mini with 2 foot wide decks that was 12 feet wide.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/9/2019 5:42 AM

Hi Dave, yes I've got no problems riding spines. That's good to know about the width cheers. I was looking at two quarters that could be bolted into a spine or a box bolted to one end of a box with a straight ramp the back side. Like a modular ramp setup Haha. Looking at park set ups the spine normally is smaller than the quarters unless it's part of two mini ramps back to back. I guess It'd work better being the same height.

|

4/9/2019 9:04 AM

I’m building a 12 foot wide 4 foot tall mini ramp for my friends kids right now with an 8 foot flat bottom , so far it’s 20.8 feet long without deck space accounted for , that’s without a spine

|

4/9/2019 11:56 AM

I'd go as wide as possible. The added width will build confidence when trying new things. I'd personally also make the spine the same height as the quarters, and I'd probably do 5ft. quarters with that space. Post pictures of the build process! Sounds like a fun project.

|

4/9/2019 11:57 AM

Also, are you using skatelite, or some sort of protective paint? Rain will ruin plain plywood as I am sure you already know.

|

4/9/2019 1:24 PM

Cheers socalshreds.
My local park has a 5.5ft one and I can just about air it so I guess around 5ft would be ok. Spine the same height then, ok that makes sense.
It's a new house we've bought and as it was quite small we are currently having a new roof with dorma out back, side and rear ext. It's basically just 4 outside walls at the moment. I'm doing the plumbing, electrics etc. so when that's all done I'm goning to start the ramps. Incentive to get the house done!

|