What bmx should I get?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/19/2017 2:40 AM

I’m 17 from South Yorkshire and is lookin to get into bmxing but very confused on which bike to get, I would be mainly riding park, I’ve been looking at a kink downside 2018? Let me know what you recommend

|

12/19/2017 5:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2017 5:01 AM

MasxonWalker wrote:

I’m 17 from South Yorkshire and is lookin to get into bmxing but very confused on which bike to get, I would be mainly riding ...more

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us!

1st, a couple things....
1.) This question gets asked A LOT!
2.) The Search function of this site is helpful in that capacity & while it brings up a lot of old and new results, they can be filtered to list "newest" posts first. That said, the basics of BMX don't change, so old info it also helpful (but check the post dates of the original post before "replying" to that post, lest ye be berated by all! LOL.

Now, to your question...

Yes, I'm sure the Kink Downside would serve you well, as it meets the following criteria in all aspects.

(I've stolen the following from another regular here on Vital)

Always try to follow these rules when buying a BMX bike:

FULL CHROMOLY FRAME, FORK, BARS, CRANKS, AXLES
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bare weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay
fork: Both the steering tube and the legs
the handle bars
the crank arms and pedal axels

Wheels should be double walled
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

These are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment (and for the longevity of the bike and YOU). Everything after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing. & that is very varied & personal depending on your height, weight, riding style, preferences, etc.... all of which may change as you move forward in your riding.

Lastly, you are required, by law , to post many pics of your bike when you get it & when it's built up. Not MY rules... it's the law.

|

12/19/2017 5:01 AM

MasxonWalker wrote:

I’m 17 from South Yorkshire and is lookin to get into bmxing but very confused on which bike to get, I would be mainly riding ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us!

1st, a couple things....
1.) This question gets asked A LOT!
2.) The Search ...more

Do you type this out every day, or do you just copy/paste it?

|

12/19/2017 5:16 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Do you type this out every day, or do you just copy/paste it?

I found it from someone else & copied & pasted (everything in the middle that you've, no doubt, seen before, anyway). The rest I typed (beginning & end).

I hope that whomever I stole it from has is saved somewhere & copies & pastes it every time it is needed. I'm pretty sure he does since I believe it is word-for-word, the same each time.

|

12/19/2017 5:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2017 5:40 AM

I'm going to be you to it Mishinn.... 2018 Eastern Shovelhead... BOOM! One of the best bikes for your money... and I think it'll be a great bike for park (If I remember the geo correctly) But it'll also help if we have your age, height, and weight if you don't mindsmile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/19/2017 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2017 6:29 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I'm going to be you to it Mishinn.... 2018 Eastern Shovelhead... BOOM! One of the best bikes for your money... and I think ...more

Yeah, If you are looking save some money (over the Kink Downside) for a quality bike. The Eastern Shovelhead is quite the bike for the money. The TT is 20.85" so it is a little longer than the Kink but not a huge difference. It comes with Forged aluminum brakes & stem. full cr-mo frame, fork, bars, cranks, axles. double wall rims, female front hub, sealed everything, integrated headset. It's really got everything. I got a '17 Shovelhead last year when they were on sale for $399 (the 17's are still available but only in black) delivered stateside. I got mine in under 24 hours. Not sure what the availability is for you over there but it's worth looking into. Just another option.

Lastly, I think the price difference between the Kink & others, like the Shovelhead is probably associated more wit the addition of the freecoaster than anything else. Some will say that you don;t need a freecoaster.... especially starting out as a pure beginner. There's probably some truth to that & I BELIEVE you should learn on a cassette before a freecoaster but that's a personal choice & is just my opinion.

P.S. at your budget, there are a lot of good complete bikes available. Keep your options open & look around.

|

12/21/2017 7:51 AM

get the one with the coolest stickers and colors duh

|

It’s all bmx

12/21/2017 10:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I found it from someone else & copied & pasted (everything in the middle that you've, no doubt, seen before, anyway). ...more

I do!!! And that will be $1 in royalties for the use of it tongue

I keep many things that I always go back to on a pages sheet on my desktop called "scratch paper"...then I just copy and paste. I am too old to remember all of this stuff every time I want to type it...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/21/2017 11:06 AM

Don’t get any bike , if you can’t make an opinion for yourself you won’t have any originality in your riding and youl probably just sell your bike and quit after a few months at a loss anyways

|

12/21/2017 12:40 PM

MasxonWalker wrote:

How tall are you? Weight?

|

12/21/2017 2:49 PM

5 foot 8 and ten stone

|

12/21/2017 3:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 3:23 PM

MasxonWalker wrote:

5 foot 8 and ten stone

It might take me a fortnight to figure out your weight. What, are you a girl & don't want people to know your weight in measurements of modern day?

|

12/21/2017 4:12 PM

I was going to suggest the Legion since its the cheapest decent complete but the 21" frame might feel a bit large for you.

|

12/21/2017 4:15 PM

MasxonWalker wrote:

5 foot 8 and ten stone

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It might take me a fortnight to figure out your weight. What, are you a girl & don't want people to know your weight in ...more

Lol i thought the uk still uses the stone measurements...

|