What do you think about plastic parts ?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/17/2016 1:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2016 1:11 PM

Hi guys, by looking at most recent parts, it seems like plastic take over, so what do you think about plastic parts in general ? what do you love or hate about them ?

Personnally I like sleeved pegs, they do slide better on most of my local spots and allows me to do smiths grinds on rough curbs, but I think plastic guards are a stupid thing, it's light and cheap but that's it after a few grinds these guards rub on spokes and you can literally eat them if you grind on rough stuffs, nothing better than nice shaped steel guards.

Pedals, even if now 99% of riders adopted those, there are still some guys who ride alloy one's. I personnaly discovered best of both world with eclat AK pedals, wide plastic body with plastic plus steel pins I got some extra grip and I don't eat the pins in 3 crankarm grind on curbs like I did with classic plastic pedals.

Plastic guards sprockets too... never tried one (and probably never will) I guess a big hit on it and you got some plastic chunk stuck between sprocket teeth, not for me.

Plastic frames coming soon...

|

11/17/2016 1:28 PM

I like plastic parts because I feel you are less prone to injury with them.

For example I run g sport plegs because I like it that the end isn't metal so I am not scared to fall on it as much as I would be with metal pegs. I do like metal pegs better for tricks etc. but I just feel safer with plastic and that is a bit more important to me.

As far as pedals go I have always ran plastic pedals but I shred to them very quickly and now I am going to run odyssey grandstand alloy pedals, I usually wear shin and knee guards so I think I will be fine and I am looking forward to the grip they will give me.

|

Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

11/17/2016 1:52 PM

I use plastic pedals because they slide better. But also because they're cheaper to replace. I do a lot of pedal slide variations, and usually get at most 6 months out of a pair. I only ever slide one side so grip isn't really a problem. I don't really do any tricks that involve taking my feet off the pedals so I don't need to worry about catching my sliding side. The grippy side stays plenty grippy enough for my liking.

Plastic sprocket guards have been around a long time (odyssey sprocket pocket), and have always seemed like a good idea to me. Better than not riding a guard at all. I'd use a plastic guard if I could find one I liked that fitted a sprocket I like. As long as you don't treat your bike like crap, it'll be fine

|

11/17/2016 2:18 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I use plastic pedals because they slide better. But also because they're cheaper to replace. I do a lot of pedal slide ...more

This! And I'm used to the old metal pedals but at my age, my shins can't take it anymore so plastic it is! And you can get a good set of plastics for $15-16 so who cares! Wear them out and throw them out

|

11/17/2016 5:37 PM

Plastic is for pussies

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/17/2016 6:30 PM

Plastic pegs are gay but plastic pedals are sweet. I felt too locked in with metal pedals cause I move my feet around a lot for certain tricks and I just can't do that with metal pedals. Plus they always chewed up the bottoms of my shoes

|

11/17/2016 7:07 PM

Plastic pegs are awesome and require minimum maintenance. You barely wear through sleeves and if so , just rotate them . Plastic pedals are a dream , they're cheap and they grip good without hurting , and they're light .

My only issues with plastic parts are hubguards . Photo

Photo

that's from doing double pegs on a buttery flat ledge at a skatepark . Also plastic spacers ( headset ) are prone to cracking .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/17/2016 10:04 PM

Looking to get some SNAFU metals, but dang, what a price. Indeed, it's cheaper to go plastic, which I have now, but I'm willing to try metal since I don't do crank-flips, haha. Either that or the Premium Slims in plastic...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/17/2016 10:57 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Looking to get some SNAFU metals, but dang, what a price. Indeed, it's cheaper to go plastic, which I have now, but I'm ...more

Premium pedals are trash . Don't buy them

|

My Cult 2 Short

11/18/2016 1:55 AM

Fly Ruben Graphite - best pedals I've ever ridden (not that that's saying much smile) )

Ripped too many pairs of pants with metal pedals/pins
Never going full metal again!

|

11/18/2016 6:40 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I use plastic pedals because they slide better. But also because they're cheaper to replace. I do a lot of pedal slide ...more

So much pedal grinds variation and 6 months for one pair... nice. I don't know how you manage to grind always the same side, too annoying for me.

I googled "odyssey sprocket pocket" it's funny to see a spocket that big with a guard, even if that completely makes sense.

|

11/18/2016 6:44 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Fly Ruben Graphite - best pedals I've ever ridden (not that that's saying much smile) )

Ripped too many pairs of pants with metal ...more

Probably ripped too many pairs of shins too ^^
I had try those pedals once and I just hated them, they hurted my foot like no other pedals !
When I run full plastic pedals I run the BSD one's because they are decently wide and got a lot of pins.

|

11/18/2016 6:53 AM

Seck wrote:

I like plastic parts because I feel you are less prone to injury with them.

For example I run g sport plegs because I like it ...more

How those plegs hold ups ?
I would be so scared to grind with these (the steel or alloy core stops at mid pegs right ?)

I run 4 bsd plastics with steel core because alloy chips and can cut you, and I'll maybe do some kind of plegs by putting some 4.5" sleeves on 4.2" pegs for the front to get a bit more surface for hang 5's.

For tricks plastic pegs helped me a lot, I do hard 180's easily with plastics and still strugle to do them with some steel one's.

|

11/18/2016 8:31 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Plastic is for pussies

Really?

|

11/18/2016 1:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2016 2:41 AM

Brayden, you didn't seem to had the time to get the guard rubbing your spokes, it just exploded before...
My problems was with a bsd guard which had a steel core tho, so I did some cuts.

Also, plastic spacers.... who was even thinking this would be a great idea in the first place !? so ligthweight because regular spacers just weight way too much and plastic spacers makes barspins easier !

|

11/18/2016 2:09 PM

Francky wrote:

Probably ripped too many pairs of shins too ^^
I had try those pedals once and I just hated them, they hurted my foot like no ...more

Nah, the shins are ok :D never get on a bike without my shin guards smile)

Hmm, I do ride with some comfy, shock absorbing shoes smile)
But yeah, they do hurt when wearing other shoes

|

11/19/2016 11:57 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Plastic is for pussies

plastic = pusy
metal = man

theres a reason they start with the same letter.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

11/20/2016 1:20 AM

Francky wrote:

Brayden, you didn't seem to had the time to get the guard rubbing your spokes, it just exploded before...
My problems was ...more

It cracked and deformed , causing it to get mangled in my wheel lol .

|

My Cult 2 Short