What do you think about the Billy Perry waterslide story?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2016 3:48 PM

Basically, Billy and his homies rode a waterpark that was closed for the season, something most of us have dreamed of doing. However, they proceeded to film and then post the whole thing on youtube:

The police got involved and the owner of the waterpark is claiming $50,000 in damages. This story raises some interesting questions about what we do, like how much respect should we have for private property, or how much you're willing to risk in the quest to get more social media followers from your illegal activities. What do y'all think?
|

12/7/2016 4:16 PM

pretty dumb on his part however i enjoy the video haha

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

12/7/2016 4:39 PM

to be honest it kinda disgusts me when i see videos of riders destroying property for the sake of a quick thrill... being a home/property owner myself, i would not hesitate to press charges

|

12/7/2016 4:48 PM

Well, the damage figure is likely inflated, but that's to be expected ...

if I'm the park owner, or I help run it, I'm not too stoked, and esp. when you read about the accidents that have happened in last year in Kansas & Australia I believe, you know what could be the result of something going wrong or something being compromised on one of these rides.

First random thing I wondered was if a park owner would be part of a promotion, set up, insured, inspection & certification part of the deal after, but obv. that requires funding, sponsorship, advertising... and removes the guerilla street aspect for the riders.. but would guarantee + publicity for the park.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

12/7/2016 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2016 5:20 PM

Don't get caught. That's all I have to say. Riding bmx on other peoples property is illegal. Damaging property is illegal. But that's a part of bmx. So dont get caught.

|

12/7/2016 5:20 PM

The video wasnt that cool either.

|

12/7/2016 6:06 PM

Charliekeet wrote:

Well, the damage figure is likely inflated, but that's to be expected ...

if I'm the park owner, or I help run it, I'm not too stoked, and esp. when you read about the accidents that have happened in last year in Kansas & Australia I believe, you know what could be the result of something going wrong or something being compromised on one of these rides.

First random thing I wondered was if a park owner would be part of a promotion, set up, insured, inspection & certification part of the deal after, but obv. that requires funding, sponsorship, advertising... and removes the guerilla street aspect for the riders.. but would guarantee + publicity for the park.

you know what is pretty scary about that water slide. My friend, his little brother, and I went down it like 3 weeks before the accident. My seat belts were duct taped in and my friends should strap flew off. it was a cool experience but they should have taken more precautions.

|

12/7/2016 6:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2016 6:36 PM

I think the people saying he shouldn't get any kind of charges are idiots. They broke in and rode everything. Right there that's breaking & entering charges, criminal trespassing, and destruction of property. Plus whatever else might get tacked on. Whether we bmx riders like to admit it, the majority of the time we are riding street, we are trespassing, destroying property, or both.

Do I think they should be charged 50k? I have no idea. We have no idea how extensive the damages are as it's mostly been kept quiet. But it sucks either way, but they knew the risks.

|

12/7/2016 6:59 PM

The park has every right to charge them. And it's their fault, if you are gonna do something illegal don't film every detail and post it the same day. I think it's kinda funny because i don't like billy or panza. But, if i had the chance i would do the exact same thing. I just wouldn't vlog it. People saying it's disgusting to damage other peoples property, that's just part of bmx, get over it. We aren't what's considered model citizens.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/7/2016 7:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2016 7:48 PM

They did it, they filmed it, they posted it, and they got caught. 50K is probably a LOT more than true damages, but they are adding "pain and suffering" or "mental anguish" for having to repair things. They should have to volunteer their time to clean tire marks and assist with the repairs more than anything. No one cares about money these days. He will file for bankruptcy and likely get out of paying it IF he is ordered that much, which he won't be.

Honestly we do damage property (yes tire marks count), and we do so willingly (assuming street riders and or trespassing) BUT the thing I am most concerned with is the damage this will do for BMX as a whole. This will add to our already "miscreant property damaging cocky little bastard" reputation that we have. What will also not help is the little turds that whine and argue back or fight back when getting booted will have a complex about this going forward. I really don't care to be yelled at or harassed by some soccer mom for riding my bike in a parking lot or on the street in front of my house.

What also annoys me is the 2908398340283504823 skate videos that feature the same thing, and NOT ONE PERSON EVER SEEMS TO GET CAUGHT OR GIVE A CRAP. They are making an example in this scenario.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/7/2016 8:30 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

They did it, they filmed it, they posted it, and they got caught. 50K is probably a LOT more than true damages, but they are adding "pain and suffering" or "mental anguish" for having to repair things. They should have to volunteer their time to clean tire marks and assist with the repairs more than anything. No one cares about money these days. He will file for bankruptcy and likely get out of paying it IF he is ordered that much, which he won't be.

Honestly we do damage property (yes tire marks count), and we do so willingly (assuming street riders and or trespassing) BUT the thing I am most concerned with is the damage this will do for BMX as a whole. This will add to our already "miscreant property damaging cocky little bastard" reputation that we have. What will also not help is the little turds that whine and argue back or fight back when getting booted will have a complex about this going forward. I really don't care to be yelled at or harassed by some soccer mom for riding my bike in a parking lot or on the street in front of my house.

What also annoys me is the 2908398340283504823 skate videos that feature the same thing, and NOT ONE PERSON EVER SEEMS TO GET CAUGHT OR GIVE A CRAP. They are making an example in this scenario.

"Miscreant property damaging cocky little bastard" has always been the stereotype with this sport. No need to make it family friendly.

|

12/8/2016 1:10 AM

Been stated by authorities and news that the only PROVEN damages are TIRE MARKS . The park company / owners are pursuing the 50 000$ because they said people on the ramps will need stress testing and recoating .

The company / owner is trying to get more from it obviously . I understand both sides but it's been blown out of proportion and considering the only damage was TIRE marks I'd say the worst case scenario from a logical standpoint would be a trespassing fine and charged with vandalism or mischief. If taken to court the judge should just make him scrub the marks off .

You do not need 50 000$ for testing and coating when literal hundreds of thousands of gallons of water are on it everyday , like comeone a couple people will do nothing to it .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/8/2016 3:09 AM

Shouldn't have posted video's all over the place. It's that simple. If I had the chance to ride somewhere like that I would. I might get a sneaky pic of it or something, but not film a video and post it up knowing thousands of people will see it and know my name.

It's not worth getting caught over, you just need to make sure you don't get caught. That place probably makes silly annual profit, the kind of money we could only dream of making, so them having to pay for some maintenance wouldn't make me feel guilty

|

12/8/2016 8:55 AM

I say the park owner gets to go to the BMXers houses/apts and have an hour of free reign to destroy whatever they want...

I know I will be in the minrity witht this view, but I am used to it:

I don't get where people think they are above the law really to do anything. Laws are made to protect us from our stupid, ignorant selves. I have never ever been the type to think that I am above the law for my own personal pleasure. I never got that mindset growing up. All of my "punk rock" friends would go out and be deviant because they thought it was "rebellious"...except that EVERYBODY....every clique, every culture, has deviance...so if you are deviant, you are technically NOT rebelling, you are just following the crowd. I don't understand why they never got that.

Plus...aren't we ,at times, trying to keep the public's image of our activity positive? Or at least neutral? I don't know how this helps. AND, I am willing to bet that those guys are the same types who bitch loudly about how they get no respect....hypocrites...

I ride a BMX bike...that does NOT give me the right to be an selfish, ignorant asshat. I hope the riders get busted. It is what they deserve. If you break a law for any reason that does not directly have to do with surviving, you get what you deserve...just like how I feel about guys who don't wear helmets, but want my sympathy when they hurt their head...

/ end old fart/Straight Edge guys rant /

When I ride, I always think about doing everything that I can to RIDE AGAIN THE NEXT DAY...going to jail is definitely not something that will allow that

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/8/2016 10:13 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I say the park owner gets to go to the BMXers houses/apts and have an hour of free reign to destroy whatever they want...

I know I will be in the minrity witht this view, but I am used to it:

I don't get where people think they are above the law really to do anything. Laws are made to protect us from our stupid, ignorant selves. I have never ever been the type to think that I am above the law for my own personal pleasure. I never got that mindset growing up. All of my "punk rock" friends would go out and be deviant because they thought it was "rebellious"...except that EVERYBODY....every clique, every culture, has deviance...so if you are deviant, you are technically NOT rebelling, you are just following the crowd. I don't understand why they never got that.

Plus...aren't we ,at times, trying to keep the public's image of our activity positive? Or at least neutral? I don't know how this helps. AND, I am willing to bet that those guys are the same types who bitch loudly about how they get no respect....hypocrites...

I ride a BMX bike...that does NOT give me the right to be an selfish, ignorant asshat. I hope the riders get busted. It is what they deserve. If you break a law for any reason that does not directly have to do with surviving, you get what you deserve...just like how I feel about guys who don't wear helmets, but want my sympathy when they hurt their head...

/ end old fart/Straight Edge guys rant /

When I ride, I always think about doing everything that I can to RIDE AGAIN THE NEXT DAY...going to jail is definitely not something that will allow that

The thing is, we're not mindlessly destroying things. We don't intend to damage anything, but unfortunately, accidents happen. I agree we should be more careful about where we ride, and think about what could happen when we ride something. But my favourite thing about riding is exploring my surroundings, and trying to ride something that wasn't built for that purpose.
The vast majority of the time we would damage something, it would be very minimal anyway, or on something no one really cares about (like taking paint off a handrail).

I've actually had an argument with a guy before because I was doing tyre slides on some steps that surrounded a WWII memorial. Yeah I completely get that to an outsider that could look disrespectful, but I was literally causing no damage at all, and no one (including the local council) had done anything toward maintenance in years.
We use things to be creative, everyone else in the world doesn't even notice it until they want to start an argument with us. They don't understand it, I don't care if the don't understand it. I don't really want them to understand it. Riding is for us, not for them

|

12/8/2016 12:23 PM

they didn't say they caused 50,000 in damages. They said they had just done 50k worth of repairs and would now have to pay a lot of money to do re-do the inspections which they are legally required to do for the safety of the visitors. I actually work with insurance claims for property damage and this kind of thing is a HUUUUGE insurance concern. Legally perry was breaking the law and while it sucks he still should be responsible for the results of his actions.

|

12/8/2016 12:47 PM

they didnt damage anything. i did the same thing at a water park local to me its just i dont film myself doing it because its dry snitching. perry and his crew are too soft if i was gettin those charges the owner wouldnt be able to make it to court

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

12/8/2016 3:37 PM

he shouldn't have to pay a crazy amount the insurance will cover the cost , no need to fuck over 4 people who didn't do anything with malicious intent , like for fucks sake it's a 20" bike not someone walking into the park with an AK

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/8/2016 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2016 3:42 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

they didn't say they caused 50,000 in damages. They said they had just done 50k worth of repairs and would now have to pay a lot of money to do re-do the inspections which they are legally required to do for the safety of the visitors. I actually work with insurance claims for property damage and this kind of thing is a HUUUUGE insurance concern. Legally perry was breaking the law and while it sucks he still should be responsible for the results of his actions.

Yes, but the thousands of gallons of water on the slides along with weight of people is a lot more weight than the slides being dry with a few people and bikes, so the concerns of them being on the slides and needing new inspections is somewhat ridiculous, regardless of the insurance company standpoint.

If I was billy I would figure out how much water is on the slides/run down it, calculate weight, and then calculate the approximate weight of bikes and people if they tried to order me to pay for re-inspections. If the bikes and people is drastically lower, I would argue that they would need proper inspection REGARDLESS due to the weight of the water , which was already done (Per comments above).

Then I would argue the condition of the park (I've seen people comment all over about how that place was a dump and falling apart-think county fair levels of haggard).

I would bet it would be pretty simple to get the Judge to minimize the sentence.

PLUS only the slides they were on technically would POSSIBLY need re-inspection, so they likely would not have to pay for anything more than that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/8/2016 5:33 PM

He won't pay a dime, he will probably spend a couple months in jail and be fine after that, sucks for him but if he gets a decent lawyer he will probably just get parole or probation or something. He is in jail currently I think.

I do think it sucks that this happened, I feel bad he got caught and the media blew it up like he is a maniac for doing it. He is breaking a law which happens when you ride bikes, this country is not the "land of the free" it's more like "Land of every person who decides to follow everybody else's views and laws and if you don't you're terrible"

I personally know what it's like to get trespassing tickets and stuff, as I have multiple under my belt. One for skatepark with a bike, and others for riding my bike... AT THE COLLEGE I ATTEND. So it's shitty, but 9 times out of 10 you end up with community service. I only had to do stuff really for the one for the skatepark since the skatepark was outside of my township and not paid for by my taxes but for Wheeling taxes. It's shit. I mean nobody LIKES the laws, and most people realistically only choose to follow the ones that agree with how they are. I saw the video and I know they didn't really harm anything, so odds are the shit they sue about is gonna be really trumped up and just overall exaggerated. I wouldn't worry too much about Billy and his buddies, they should be totally fine.

I hope they don't get too big a sentence but realistically, this is good for BMX. It's recognized publicity and will actually help people gain knowledge and probably learn about BMX. I mean Skateboarding was based on being a punk for a lot of years and that worked pretty well, I mean sure, we certainly aren't being shown in a flattering light, but this is how people are already seeing us and it's our job to show we aren't criminals and we are decent people just like everyone else and are trying to have a good time.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/8/2016 6:04 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

he shouldn't have to pay a crazy amount the insurance will cover the cost , no need to fuck over 4 people who didn't do anything with malicious intent , like for fucks sake it's a 20" bike not someone walking into the park with an AK

Yeah, but it's prob not gonna be paid like that. It's likely a high amount as a deterrent effect - puts second thoughts in head of anyone who might think about trying this in future.

Hopefully not a real sentence, like not time, and maybe they have to cover increased cost in park's premiums?

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

12/8/2016 6:26 PM

If this story had not been picked up by the media and run on the local news no one would have been any wiser, life would have gone on, and I'm sure everything would have been just fine. But because of the exposure that this has gotten, if the park doesn't have everything inspected by structural engineers, the general public would probably never step foot in that park again for fear of something falling apart and the business would go under. Therefore, the park has to do something, regardless of whether it's actually "nessessary", just to save face with the public. This is expensive to do and since they know who to go after for the "damages", that's what they are going to do.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

12/8/2016 9:46 PM

I like Billy’s videos, but when I watched this I immediately thought they were pretty game breaking into private property and broadcasting it to the world.

Surely they must have expected some form of repercussion….

|

12/9/2016 5:51 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Yes, but the thousands of gallons of water on the slides along with weight of people is a lot more weight than the slides being dry with a few people and bikes, so the concerns of them being on the slides and needing new inspections is somewhat ridiculous, regardless of the insurance company standpoint.

If I was billy I would figure out how much water is on the slides/run down it, calculate weight, and then calculate the approximate weight of bikes and people if they tried to order me to pay for re-inspections. If the bikes and people is drastically lower, I would argue that they would need proper inspection REGARDLESS due to the weight of the water , which was already done (Per comments above).

Then I would argue the condition of the park (I've seen people comment all over about how that place was a dump and falling apart-think county fair levels of haggard).

I would bet it would be pretty simple to get the Judge to minimize the sentence.

PLUS only the slides they were on technically would POSSIBLY need re-inspection, so they likely would not have to pay for anything more than that.

Yeah, dude. I agree, and I'm saying Billy didn't break anything but also because people can get hurt if something is wrong, they can't just not inspect it and that's what they're going after perry for. Not 50k.

|

12/9/2016 5:55 AM

i mean i could imagine it being a blast to ride the place... but shit man. they shoulda expected damage to be done and to get into trouble for it... and another thing is that it kinda makes riders look like shit doing stuff like this.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/9/2016 4:00 PM

TKeck wrote:

If this story had not been picked up by the media and run on the local news no one would have been any wiser, life would have gone on, and I'm sure everything would have been just fine. But because of the exposure that this has gotten, if the park doesn't have everything inspected by structural engineers, the general public would probably never step foot in that park again for fear of something falling apart and the business would go under. Therefore, the park has to do something, regardless of whether it's actually "nessessary", just to save face with the public. This is expensive to do and since they know who to go after for the "damages", that's what they are going to do.

Just like all local amusement parks to me, they should have someone ON STAFF at all operating times to maintain and inspect all equipment, so a 3rd party shouldn't be necessary either.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/9/2016 4:01 PM

I also like all the other BMX videos that show EXACTLY the same activity, and no one said a word tongue

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/9/2016 4:41 PM

The video was pretty dope, while the media has blown it a tad out of proportion they did break into a park and put a video out on a channel with a huge fan base. Sort of not surprised they got caught for it like.

|

12/9/2016 4:49 PM

I watched Augie's vlog and he said they spent like 2-3 hours in a holding room and they let then go

|

12/9/2016 5:07 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just like all local amusement parks to me, they should have someone ON STAFF at all operating times to maintain and inspect all equipment, so a 3rd party shouldn't be necessary either.

I agree. They should have staff who perform routine daily inspections of the park, and I'm sure they probably do. But this is being considered vandalism and because of the nature of the situation, some safety regulatory agency is probably involved and requiring more extensive inspections before they deem the park safe. I'm just speculating.

Yeah, we see riders doing illegal stuff (trespassing, vandalism, etc.) in edits every single day, but for some reason the local media decided to latch onto this story and make a big deal out of it. That's one of the consequences of posting stuff online, I guess. As the old saying goes, "it's not illegal if you don't get caught."

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74