What do you think of this bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2017 11:19 AM

Im thinking of getting this for my first bmx : http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/vhs/
What dou you think?

|

10/15/2017 11:35 AM

All chromo and sealed so it's good

|

Ride till you die

10/15/2017 11:58 AM

Yeah its all Chromoly and has sealed hubs but it doesn't have double walled rims... This be cor the same price had everything that bike does AND it's has double walled rims...
http://www.easternbikes.com/shovelhead

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/15/2017 12:08 PM

I'd get eastern over fit. Fit are good but you gotta spend to get good fit frames... There was a small issue with fit frames snapping iirc

|

10/15/2017 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2017 2:03 PM

Yeah... If you can, get the shovel or the Hoffman Bama before the fit. But the FIT isn't a bad bike. The wheelset is the biggest weakness with the single wall rims.

So, for that money (new)
Eastern shovelhead
Hoffman Bama
Fit VHS
Mongoose Legion L100.

For that money, you can get a hell of a used bike but it will be more work finding a good Chromoly bike. But they can often be had & at a greater savings.

|

10/15/2017 5:33 PM

Again, probably gonna post this review on every new bike thread

Mongoose Legion l100 review

but if you have a larger budget there is no reason not to get the eastern. They back their products and make high quality stuff. Not saying fit doesnt just that I would go for an eastern product over fit.

|

10/15/2017 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2017 5:39 PM

RyanF wrote:

Im thinking of getting this for my first bmx : http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/vhs/
What dou you think?

If you absolutely must have the fit it will be a great bike as well. The double wall rims I feel are important for longevity. I have a single wall rim that is still great but I prefer the confidence a double wall provides.

|

10/15/2017 5:45 PM

Fit bikes are usually overpriced compared to other bikes with similar or better specs. You can find a bike with better wheels for that price and there's really no reason that Fit cheaped out on them other than greed. They make nice stuff but I don't see why their bikes usually cheap out on something that other bikes in the same price range don't.

|

10/16/2017 9:00 PM

Eastern are great, I have a Mothra and a Grim Reaper. Had a Cobra before that. No problems and the guys are super helpful. Only negative with Eastern is that it has changed hands a couple times so finding older parts can be challenging.

Fit is S&M, they make good high end bikes, but like everyone, they want to have a line for all budgets. At least they haven't sullied their name like Haro, Mongoose, and Redline - yes, they still make good highend bikes, but they also sell absolute crap department store bikes just capitalizing on the name.

Bottom line (IMO) if it was made in China it's crap. If it doesn't have removable brake mounts it's crap. If it isn't 100% ChroMo it's crap. If hubs and BB aren't sealed it's crap. Avoid those things and you'll get a kick-butt bike! :-)

|

10/16/2017 9:34 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah its all Chromoly and has sealed hubs but it doesn't have double walled rims... This be cor the same price had everything ...more

BTW - What makes you say it doesn't have double walled rims? To the best of my knowledge all RI rims are doublewalled.

|

10/16/2017 9:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2017 9:42 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah its all Chromoly and has sealed hubs but it doesn't have double walled rims... This be cor the same price had everything ...more

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

BTW - What makes you say it doesn't have double walled rims? To the best of my knowledge all RI rims are doublewalled.

Ya, i looked at the website and other wheelsets they make and they were all double walled. It doesnt mention it in the rim description of the page you provided, though...hmmm odd, considering that is a pretty major selling point.

Maybe contact fitbike? Or maybe somewhere else that sells the bike would have it listed?

|

10/16/2017 9:45 PM

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

Eastern are great, I have a Mothra and a Grim Reaper. Had a Cobra before that. No problems and the guys are super helpful. ...more

Literally only a couple of brands have parts made in China. If you mean Taiwan, a lot of fit stuff is made in Taiwan, everything on the completes and most of the aftermarket parts too now.

However, the price may reflect build quality. And components. Yeah the mongoose, and plenty of other cheaper full chromoly completes might look good on paper, but the build quality is still pretty poor. And the components are cheap/nothing special.

If you like fit, buy their complete and show your support. But parts will need upgrading/changing on any complete to dial it in

|

10/16/2017 10:40 PM

Another Bike in this range is the Kink Liberty. Full chromo with double wall rims. It retails for 450, but can get close to 400 with a 10% off coupon. https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/liberty/

|

10/17/2017 12:17 AM

scarywoody wrote:

Another Bike in this range is the Kink Liberty. Full chromo with double wall rims. It retails for 450, but can get close to ...more

Up this one, I will back kink any day never had issues with them, had my kink outfit from 2014 for nearly 3 years now with a stint of 2 months having a different owner before I bought it back and it's nearly still in perfect condition

|

Ride till you die

10/17/2017 4:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 6:30 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

I read it on Dan's Comp (I believe) that they are single wall rims. & no, not all rims are double wall. That's where they save money. On another note, for years we rode on the same wheels we raced on, Araya 7x rims, non-sealed hubs so they will last. They just won't take the punishment of off landings, harsh landing on copping, etc..;

|

10/17/2017 4:44 AM

FYI (from Dan's Comp)

Photo

|

10/17/2017 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 5:45 AM

Single walls are fine. If you run enough pressure and keep spokes tight, they will hold up just as well as low pressure, unmaintained double walls, which is what most kids are riding anyway. No one really likes to maintain wheels, that's why double walls are more popular. Just ride them untill they die, then get some nice double walls.

|

10/17/2017 8:32 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

FYI (from Dan's Comp)

Photo

Wow - guess I've just always Revenge Industries aftermarket wheelsets. That blows. You think they would at least do single on the front and double on the back.

|

10/17/2017 8:55 AM

I'm considering the same bike. The Shovelhead is out of stock everywhere I've looked. It may be back in stock by the time I get the loot together, in which case I'll have to choose, but for now I'm thinking this is the one. For future reference (hopefully the very distant future) about how much is a decent set of double walled rims? Any specific recommendations to slap on this bike if/when these fail?

You probably already know this, but if you're wanting pegs the VHS only comes with 2. (I think this is the case with most completes) I contacted Fit to see if I could get 2 more, but they don't sell the exact ones separately. The guy who responded recommended I get these http://fitbikeco.com/shop/pegs/og-pegs/ in the 100mm size. He said they would look "very similar".

All in all, from everything I've read and with my limited knowledge on the subject, it seems to be a solid bike. If you get it before I do start a thread and let us know what you think. I'll do the same.

|

10/17/2017 9:11 AM

insaneshane wrote:

I'm considering the same bike. The Shovelhead is out of stock everywhere I've looked. It may be back in stock by the time I ...more

The pegs that come with the bikes are typically just OK. The Fit OG's are good @ $15 a peg, but if you want the plastic sleeves they charge another $15. Whereas Primo you get the peg and two sleeves for $20.

If you want to stick with Revenge wheels, they're $159 for cassette style and $189 for freecoaster. I run the freecoaster version and have had zero problems.

|

10/17/2017 10:01 AM

insaneshane wrote:

I'm considering the same bike. The Shovelhead is out of stock everywhere I've looked. It may be back in stock by the time I ...more

I didnt check thoroughly but most of these are the 2017 model and one of the deals is on clearamce for like 410.

I hear the trans gold is spectacular!

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1157697_-1_catNav

http://www.zioncyclery.com/m/product/eastern-bikes-shovelhead-155293-1.htm

http://martysreliable.com/m/product/eastern-bikes-shovelhead-292168-1.htm

https://www.acebmx.com/eastern-bmx-c-3_309/eastern-shovelhead-20-bmx-bike-2017-p-7521.html

http://americancycle.com/m/product/eastern-shovelhead-20-complete-23985.htm

|

10/17/2017 11:56 AM

Nice, you found it lol. The gold is hot, but I really want a black frame and the camo seat sets it off IMO. Still a tough choice. I may have to go Eastern just because of the double walled wheels. I still have a while to think about it. My main thing is just something that will take some abuse and last. I do know of Van Homen, so it would be cool to have his signature bike, but again, if the Eastern is better quality I'll probably go that route. I've always been rather indecisive lol. Thanks again for the help. Sorry to hijack your thread OP lol. Good luck in your decision as well. I'm still on the fence.

|

10/17/2017 2:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 2:13 PM

insaneshane wrote:

You can get a pair of sun big ballers for under $100. The best rims you can get in that price range. they are close to Odyssey as far as quality goes, at half the price. Best bang for your buck.
I'd personally go for the fit, if I had to choose between the two. Really though I just got a cult hawk v2 frame built up with all cult aftermarket parts worth around $1400. Paid $400 used. Changed around a few parts to fit my taste, and it's perfect for me. That's really the way to go. Takes a little research and time, but totally worth it. If I had the cash to shell out to buy things new I would have a nice American frame...

|