What does everyone think the next major change in bmx will be?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2020 8:21 PM

The title says it all I've been riding for 27 years straight and have seen several changes to hubs frames bars seats tires. My question is what will be the next big change for parts?

|

I believe in hub guard protection

5/5/2020 8:49 PM

50.8mm clamping areas on bars and stems for idiots that cant properly tighten bolts

|

5/5/2020 9:33 PM

LBC is testing that weird ass 3piece bar concept, if it takes off I could see that becoming the "new" style, despite how ugly it is.

Geometry wise, I think park/street frames will get even shorter within the next couple years.

|

Come back with a warrant.

5/5/2020 11:01 PM

Aside from 5" width tires and 8" pegs, titanium seems to be making a presence in park a lot more, I imagine a market will be bigger once more companies, like RNC, surface to daylight.

I'm also sick of videos filmed without modern-day equipment. I get that sometimes it's done well and fits the vibe to use old camera aesthetics, but I'd much prefer HD quality.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/5/2020 11:25 PM

bigger bikes we are too old for little kids ones

|

13 years old

5/6/2020 4:08 AM

Carbon fiber in freestyle.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/6/2020 5:14 AM

11" chainstays and 20t sprockets

|

5/6/2020 5:25 AM

No cranks. Pedals screwed straight in to the bottom bracket.

|

5/6/2020 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2020 7:28 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've seen you post this several times, so I'm confident it was a serious comment & not a joke. Where do you see carbon being used (in BMX freestyle)? Do you think it is durable enough?

|

5/6/2020 9:05 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I've seen you post this several times, so I'm confident it was a serious comment & not a joke. Where do you see carbon being used (in BMX freestyle)? Do you think it is durable enough?

I want to say eclat has been testing CF rims for the bmx market. There are a couple of CF seat posts floating around too, I think Premium made one a few years back

|

5/6/2020 9:38 AM

HtownGetDown wrote:

50.8mm clamping areas on bars and stems for idiots that cant properly tighten bolts

Not accurate enough, 101.6mm sounds better.
Flatlanders are going to peak in the next following years and we’re going to see many flatlanders just ditch 1.75 altogether, so they’re just going to start using road cycle tires so they can get the ultimate ability to lean on turbine tricks.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

5/6/2020 10:09 AM

I’m hoping when parks re open and social distancing is a big thing us BMX riders can take the lead and run over all the scooter kids who don’t follow the social distancing , for the betterment of man

|

5/6/2020 11:27 AM

No one wants to suggest 3D printed parts that look like an HR Geiger nightmare?

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

5/6/2020 1:21 PM

My guess would be more reproductions of older parts. Maybe a higher demand in older frame designs with modern materials?

|

5/6/2020 1:28 PM

MJbmx wrote:

3D printed parts would be either too weak or too expensive. It won't happen for anything but quick prototypes.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/6/2020 3:53 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

I want to say eclat has been testing CF rims for the bmx market. There are a couple of CF seat posts floating around too, I think Premium made one a few years back

I'd also like to hear why you think CF is a "good idea."

I'm a design engineer for CF aerospace structures, they don't do well with blunt impact, nor do they give any sort of sign of failure, so when CF parts fail it is very catastrophic with high energy releases. While chromoly is ductile, and will often crack/bend in failure to absorb energy and give the rider a fair warning that its probably time to change his frame.

|

5/6/2020 4:47 PM

Planetary coasters become mainstream. wink

|

5/6/2020 5:10 PM

MJbmx wrote:

I’d totally ride a necronom inspired bike though not gonna lie.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

5/6/2020 5:18 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

SoCalShreds wrote:

I'm a design engineer for CF aerospace structures, they don't do well with blunt impact, nor do they give any sort of sign of failure, so when CF parts fail it is very catastrophic with high energy releases. While chromoly is ductile, and will often crack/bend in failure to absorb energy and give the rider a fair warning that its probably time to change his frame.

It’s another fad that’s starting to make its way to bmx from road cycle and mtb. Carbon fiber is not the future, better alloys however are. I wouldn’t even ride with a carbon fiber spacer under my stem (yes, I have legitimately seen this stupid shit before). Not to mention that you can’t even weld carbon fiber, so good luck fixing your frame if a weld breaks. Yes I understand carbon fiber is 6x lighter than chromoly, but y’ know, chromoly is also like 6x stronger than carbon fiber sooooooooo...
It works good for road cycles but you also aren’t riding up and down 9ft half pipes going like 20 feet in the air on them. Work on improving 4130 and 6061/7075 instead of wasting time and money on carbon fiber. I’d say the same for titanium but I don’t like titanium and I definitely wouldn’t make a daily ride out of it.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

5/6/2020 5:37 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

SoCalShreds wrote:

I thought the same when I saw "carbon fiber seat post"

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

5/6/2020 5:38 PM

What ever you do, dont drop into a 9 ft quarter on carbon fiber cranks

|

5/6/2020 7:11 PM

Undesemin wrote:

What ever you do, dont drop into a 9 ft quarter on carbon fiber cranks

When we gonna move to paper mache bikes

Half the people on this forum bitchin about weight anyways lmao

|

Come back with a warrant.

5/6/2020 8:37 PM

22” bikes are already a thing but i only see it becoming more popular. I also wonder if we are coming to a turning point soon where bmx will either get super popular or really poor with lots of companies closing. I could kind of see either happening within the next few years but i feel like a lot of companies could be closing their doors soon.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/6/2020 10:32 PM

Praying vert makes a comeback

|

13 years old

5/7/2020 4:17 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

Eclat is running playing with them, I know a guy with a set.

BUT I could see the bmx industry toying with small parts-brakes.levers, pedals, BB spacers, seatposts etc to start, and working into the more load bearing stuff. It's clear brands are starting to check it out after all the extensive testing was done in road, CX and MTB.

Check out the race scene, carbon makes up SO MUCH of it now. Hell, they can do a carbon downhill MTB, why not a carbon freestyle frame?

I've said it before, we are well over 90% of what we can do with steel, similar with aluminum, but only around 50% of the way through what we can do with carbon. New tech and new layups will develop new options.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/7/2020 4:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2020 4:43 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

SoCalShreds wrote:

Carbon does pretty well with impact in the cycling world actually-here is an example of some MTB rims going through some real world solid testing:

It's all about the layup. For aerospace, ligthness and rigidity is key, impact I would imagine, isn't AS much of a concern as it would be in cycling. Bike companies are intentionally toying with layup of the carbon sheets to ensure impact resistance is as strong as it can be.

As to the catastrophic failures, the sheets of fiber do split, yes, but I have seen pictures, videos and been in person with chromoly and aluminum snapping off from impacts as well (usually due to the HAZ around the welds but in one case I saw a Mutiny frame snap MID TUBE) and in the in person cases, there was no warning that was noticed-no ping, click, bend etc. Just snapped off.

This one is also MTB, shows carbon handling more force than the same frame made in aluminum- taken from the article: "Carbon Nomad peaks at 2050 lbs: The Nomad Carbon is up next, the very first to be filmed during destructive testing. This particular Nomad Carbon has already seen its fair share of abuse, having been through 200,000 cycles of fatigue testing, two different impact test scenarios, and then ridden hard for two years by a Santa Cruz employee. She has more than proved herself, but she still met her maker at the hands of Joe Graney. Mounted in the JRA Ultimate test rig with the same solid steel forks, it took a whopping 2050lbs of force to see it fail. Although the failure mode is clearly more catastrophic than its aluminum cousin, it required an extra 585lbs of energy over the aluminum model, and an impressive 2.56 times the forces that it would expect to see in a worst-case scenario out in the real world, before it finally failed. It's for this reason that Santa Cruz encourages larger and more aggressive riders to choose carbon when considering a new frame - they are simply stronger."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

:

SO Impact (if done correctly) would be the biggest issue, but like in the video with rims, I could see that being well handled. An alloy rim in that same video would likely be toast pretty fast.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/7/2020 7:58 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

SoCalShreds wrote:

Where the hell did I say it was a good idea?

|

5/7/2020 7:58 PM

Unfortunately I think bmx is not the innovator anymore and these lame mountain bike things are innovating and bmx will continue to take their ideas

|

5/8/2020 12:23 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Planetary coasters become mainstream. wink

I ride a gulf coaster but I can see all clutch style coasters going away soon.

|

5/8/2020 12:26 PM

If tires get any bigger I see them putting dimples in chain stays again.

|