What geometry should my frame be?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2016 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2016 12:05 PM

Iv'e saved up about 2000 for a bike, so I'm honestly willing to go all out on a bike that suits me. But I'm just worried that I won't get the right size frame? How do I know what angles to get? Or should I just get another complete and work from there? Is the 2015 Verde Radia a good sized bike for someone who's 6 foot tall and 180 pounds? Just want to find the right bike

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/6/2016 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2016 11:43 AM

I'm 5'10 and 125 lbs and I went from a 20.8 to a 21 top tube and it feels awesome . Without leaving a paragraph , if you can ride decently and it's a passion then spend the money on a good bike but if it's kinda a side thing buy a good complete , say a WTP Envy as the max or a Fit Dugan 2 or 3 as a minimum and save the rest for spare parts or switch the ones you don't like it even save it for other things . I wouldn't get a Verde if you have 2k. Also , you can always buy a used custom online like craigslist , but you might have to dump a bit into new parts or a size you like , all depends what you want . Personally , a new bike is always better

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/6/2016 12:11 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'm 5'10 and 125 lbs and I went from a 20.8 to a 21 top tube and it feels awesome . Without leaving a paragraph , if you can ...more

Yeah riding bikes is a pretty big part of my life. It is literally my main hobby, and I'm fairly good at it, and I want to keep progressing to get better. The bike I have now just doesn't really do the job. I knew it wouldn't so I honestly don't know why I bought it. I just want a good bike that can support me and hold up, ya know? I thought about starting from scratch and just building my own bike completely, but I don't know which company to choose the parts from? I know it's all personal preference but I just want to have a great bike. I have a few ideas on frames and parts, but I am still not quite sure on what geometry and size everything should be

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/6/2016 12:28 PM

You'll get used to anything. And it depends entirely on your riding style, in fact the bikes geometry could define your style by affecting how you ride/what you find easy/what you enjoy doing with it.
But to answer your question, buy an fbm frame (hardway if you like street, steadfast if you like trails, or gypsy if you ride a bit of everything), with fbm cb4k's, a pma stem (front or top load, depending on your preference for bar height), u.s apes (height dependent on preference (they have nicer sweep than the black flag bars imo) ), fbm throne or heart seat, profile mini hubs and gdh cranks, fbm headset, profile bb, odi longneck grips, whatever seat post, sun rims, s&m speedball 2.10 rear tyre, s&m mainline 2.10 front tyre, whatever pedals, sprocket can be your own choice as long as it's nice, kmc 510 chain. Then your bike will be awesome, and feel awesome, and you'll love it
:D

|

5/6/2016 3:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2016 3:17 PM

You got a nice large budget to build you a dream bike, but there's tons of variables to make it YOUR dream bike, like frame geo of course, and also crank lengh, fork offset, bar height, tyre sizes, cassette or freecoaster...

To get a proper sized bike for 6" a 21" top tube is at least what you need, but I seriously recommend to get bigger like 21.25" or 21.5"

When picking up a frame you see things like that
top tube : 21.25"
headtube angle : 75°
chainstays lenght : 13.2 -->13.6
bottom bracket height : 11.5"
seat tube angle : 70°
standover : 9"

but what does it means ?

The longer the toptube, the more comfy you are on your bike, plus it adds a lot of stabily in the air, at speed and during manuals. And shorter means a more twitchy bike, quicker spins, and a more cramped postion.

Headtube 74.5° is super relaxed, 75° the all around, 75.5° the steep one for nozzas.

Chainstays : 13" and under is super short, 14" is super long.
I personnaly don't like any extreme, 13.5" is a good middle, 13.25" is the further I had push the shorter chainstays fashion, which is already really short when you are 6ft +the best is as always to experiment by yourself to see what you like, longer is stable, shorter makes the bike easy to lift up, but twitchy as fuck for manuals.

BB height, 11.5" is low 11.8" is high
same kind of deal as before, stability vs twitchyness, more close of the ground means more stable, more connected to the bike, and higher is twichier and easier to spin with.

Seat tube angle, between 69° and 71°, this don't really change too much the feeling of the bike, but you have to know than for the same toptube size, a frame with a 69° seat tube angle will feel shorter because the tube starts from further back, and 71° is like the standard so a 21" with a 69° seat tube will feel more like a 20.8"

Standover is the seat tube height, anything between 8.5" and 9.5" is fine, just don't buy a stupid park rat frame with a 7" standover, to do triple tailwhips and make your bike look like a scooter.

|

5/9/2016 6:15 AM

Francky wrote:

You got a nice large budget to build you a dream bike, but there's tons of variables to make it YOUR dream bike, like frame ...more

Thank you so much for this information! That most definitely helps me out a lot. I'll probably look for a frame that's around:

When picking up a frame you see things like that
top tube : 21.25 or 21.5"
headtube angle : 75°
chainstays length : 13.5"
bottom bracket height : 11.5"
seat tube angle : 70°
standover : 9"

I'm more about the stability and control than the quick flippy stuff, so to know what's high and low is really good information for me. Now I just need to find parts and everything!

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/9/2016 7:46 AM

Everything is personal preference. And you will get used to anything. A few mm here and there doesn't make a huge difference. I'm 6' and ride 21" frames, had one frame that was 21.25", I'd only ride that long again if I was riding trails. Same with chainstay length. With my new frame I took out a full link and within one ride I was used to it. My bb is higher too and I didn't notice that at all. And I didn't notice .5 degree steeper headangle. The only thing that felt different was I ran my stem the right way up for the first time in a while and hated how twitchy my bike felt with higher bars, so I switched it upside down again.
Stand over height literally makes no difference in how a bike rides, it "feels" more stable because there's more between your legs.
You could build any bike with any parts, and it will feel different from your current bike, but within a week you'll be used to it. Unless there's something you really don't like about it (like bar height for me). If it's easier to lift the front end, you'll learn to not lift as hard. If it's harder to spin, you'll learn to spin a little harder.

|

5/9/2016 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2016 12:09 PM

The only spec I pay attention to is top tube. Most of the frames have head tubes appropriate for their intended use, flatland, trails, street. You've gotten good advice already and a great budget. My build was pretty "all-out" (for me) and it topped out at around $12-1300.

I think it's pretty difficult to know what different seat tube, stand overs, head tubes geos are going to feel like since there are so many other variables to consider (forks, bars, stem, wheels, cranks, etc).

Unless you assembled the bikes using the same exact parts and just swapped out the different frames, and rode each one for a month, then maybe you can tell. But that is pretty unrealistic.

I assembled my friends steadfast and rode it for the first time the other day. It was completely different than my Hartbreaker. It felt smoother, faster, lower, harder to pull up, and a bit "lofty" in the front end. But I cannot tell you what parts of the bike were responsible for those feelings. Too many variables. The only parts we have in common are the stems.

Do you have any bike stores near you that carry different size frames you can try out? That might help.

|

12/12/2016 10:56 AM

Well, I'm not a mod, so it's not up to me to say. But bringing up threads that are over a year old to post a link to a site that isn't giving any extra info than what has already been written by someone else must have caught the attention of a mod, otherwise your posts wouldn't have been removed. You were spamming, and you know it.

|

12/12/2016 12:48 PM

lol if you get the 2016 WTP Envy and get different parts for it I'll try and buy some of the Envy parts off you

|

12/12/2016 1:42 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Well, I'm not a mod, so it's not up to me to say. But bringing up threads that are over a year old to post a link to a site ...more

I understand the principal and intend to only provide relevant and new information. I believe I did provide additional insight because if you buy a frame solely on top tube size you're missing out on several other aspects. I am not trying to step on anyone toes or take away from vital. I'd consider spamming copying and pasting with no regard on the topic or subject but I shall not directly promote or reel anyone to the site. It'd be nice if the moderators provided me with an email of the guidelines or notified me the post was removed and why. Thanks for the insight Steve.

|

Writer at ShredAddix.com

12/12/2016 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2016 1:55 PM

lol didn't pay attention to the fact that the post before the one above my first post on this thread is over a half year old..

|

12/12/2016 3:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Well, I'm not a mod, so it's not up to me to say. But bringing up threads that are over a year old to post a link to a site ...more

Alexis Dehaven wrote:

I understand the principal and intend to only provide relevant and new information. I believe I did provide additional insight ...more

We all understand that it isn't just the toptube length that's important. But it's all down to personal preference. You can give guidelines as much as you want, but until someone has tried a few different frames with different geometry they won't know what they like. Something that sounds good on paper might feel terrible in reality.
I see you weren't intentionally spamming, but this was the newest thread you posted in, the others were literally years old.

|

12/12/2016 4:47 PM

Keep saving and spend the 2. Grand you have on a titanium laird frame then you can design the frame yourself and get whatever geometry you want

|

12/12/2016 4:52 PM

id just get a generic type of frame. see whats really common in frames and go for that.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/14/2016 12:07 AM

Custom order a Standard, you won't be disappointed.

|

12/14/2016 6:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2016 4:55 AM

P

|