What got you into BMX?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2014 9:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2014 9:30 PM

Like where you first saw or heard about it and was like "this is cool"

For me it was probably when in i wanna say kindergarten or somewhere in early elementary we toured the post office and the trail that goes under a bridge to get there junctions right at the skatepark, we walked down it and as we walked down it i hear "Do a backflip bitch, No balls" or something similar (I'm thinking this kid must be cool if he talks like that) and theres some kid on a bike and he did a tailwhip tail tap and i stopped and stared until i got yelled at for not coming along.
Then i rode my little Royce union for like 4 years in my front yard and snapped its stem before i could do anything except wheelies. Along with some "jumps" in dirt behind my elementary that i hung out at.
Then i tried skating and could never ollie
Then one day i was like "mom your buying me a bike" and i cried,begged,pleaded & reasoned with her for over a month and finally got it. Since then i've built my own new custom bike twice and ridden 1000+ hours.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

11/27/2014 9:05 PM

I just remember playing Dave Mirra and stuff and then getting on my piece of shit bike and trying to do what I did in the video game but I never could. Then there was a time in my life when I didn't get on a bike for about 3 years. Right after that time period, (I was like 13) I started jumping mountain bikes. My friend Chaz had a piece of shit Mike Spinner bike from Walmart that we thought was Godly at the time. So I got one. Learned hops, footjams, wheelies, ect. Then, my good old buddy, Max, introduced me the REAL BMX and VeinBMX.com where I ordered a complete and built it up.

Now, I've been riding for about 2 years.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/27/2014 9:10 PM

I remember before I started even riding around, I was with my mom driving downtown somewhere. Probably no older 12 tops, and I remember seeing the locals all boosting a hip nearby on bikes. Thought it was fuckin sweet. That was my first ever taste of bmx, but it wasn't what got me into it.

What got me into it though was 2 friends I met at school who used to skate, started showing up at the school across the street I would ride my Mongoose bmx bike around. The one had a mt. bike, other had a Next bike. So I got to know them and would ride around town with them just kinda hanging out. This was Summer 2006. Didn't really think of it as bmx, just biking. The guy with the mt. bike eventually stopped coming along with us, but another guy from school ended up coming around every now & then and actually built up tiny ass dirt jumps in the baseball field at the school. So we'd all jump them, and thought it was sweet. They were fuckin TINY hahaha. Anyway, we started a little group & would ride around, and I finally had gotten a real bmx bike. Haro Backtrail x2, same with the one friend who still rode with us who got an Eastern Lowdown. We eventually got pegs, and would try grinding. I failed horribly at it haha. This was around September, but I still wasn't officially hooked until like a month later when I finally got the hang of a feeble grind, and watched videos of the local riders who were really REALLY fuckin good. After that, I was stoked on it, and completely hooked.

|

11/27/2014 9:17 PM

I just always rode bikes. I would make up tricks i thought were awesome (later learned they were footjams, pogos, endos, rocket manual barspins were my best) and i would just ride in my driveway all day. This was like, age 5-8,i almost did a footjam to frontflip when i was six(made it a little over half way before i splatted on the ground). I eventually found an almost new tony hawk bmx bike in a ditch and convinced my mom to let me keep it. My brother told me it was called a bmx bike and was meant for doing tricks. I would hit tiny dirt jumps and learn little flatland tricks. Three years ago i started seeing bmx stuff on the internet and i was like "oh, so this is what i like to do is called. Sweet." Been riding more seriously ever since.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/27/2014 9:27 PM

my neighbor who rode bmx and bqr123

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/28/2014 7:13 AM

A good friend when I was like 13 was into racing so I got into it. Id race on saturdays and practice on wednesdays at the track. Then I started to ride dirt jumps that were behind the trails. Then we built dirt jumps behind my friends house and as we looked for more spots to build we would do hops and wheelies through town. Then one day he was trying manuals so I did too and that was wheere my street side evolved from and I went on to learn 180s and grinds and it all blew up from there

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

11/28/2014 7:21 AM

One of my friends was like you got a bike? (I had a 2010 eastern cobra) So i went and rode with him. We used to make small dirt "jumps" and we would see who could wheelie the farthest. We would also try and bump jump over speed bumps. But it got to a point where i was with some other friends and i did a bunny hop. My friend thought it was the coolest thing ever and went on craigslist and bought a bike. He then learned how to bunny hop later that week. So i then realized how fun it is and i wanted to progress. I then created my youtube channel later that year and its all gone from there

|

Youtube
Instagram: @joelfiest
Twitter @joelfiest9
Bike Check

11/28/2014 7:27 AM

I watched the Federal in paris video and i was amazed and was like " i need to do this in my life" but it was me and my friends had bmx bikes and only rode tiny dirt jumps and flatland joking about, then when i was 14 my mate who skated asked me to come to the skatepark, at this point i was riding a scooter on flatland (i know what a scooter kid) went on my scooter for less than a year to the skatepark and then decided to take my bmx with me, started from then, quit riding for a few years then started riding again early this year and dont plan on stopping until i physically cannot ride anymore.
but i think the federal in paris video was what opened my eyes to bmxing and how awesome it is

|

11/28/2014 7:28 AM

KCM0BMX wrote:

One of my friends was like you got a bike? (I had a 2010 eastern cobra) So i went and rode with him. We used to make small ...more

this is great, its basically what happens for everyone, jumping speed bumps, bunny hops and wheelies smile i think everyone remembers these days haha

|

11/28/2014 7:36 AM

Went to some local trails while riding with a friend when i was 13 or 14 see this guy going over the ramps doing tricks and i was like im gonna learn how to do that and stuck with it ever since

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

11/28/2014 8:07 AM

I don't know, I always just liked riding Bikes, my mother told me that by the age on 1 an a half, I was riding with no training wheels, she has so many pictures of me and my bike, on Christmas at the age of 5 I got a "Rambo bmx bike" lol yes the movie Rambo, it was camo and black I took the brakes off (this is like in 1990) and tried jumping shit, till one day I ended up in the ER because I landed on my head trying to do a backflip, that didn't stop me, always rode like a mad man never used brakes I just always loved bikes, I stop around 18 or 19 (because of work, I couldn't get hurt) and I picked it back up a few weeks back at the age of 30 lol, funny thing is I'm better now haha

|

My FBM bike check

11/28/2014 8:09 AM

I skated and rode a jump in my yard my bro made. Then I moved to a farm and there was nowhere to skate, so I started riding flatland, and built a dirt jump in my yard.

That was summer of 1999.

Here I am over 15 years later and still riding. Not as good as I once was. I used to do a LOT of stuff that still blows me away to this day, but it is more about fun at this point. I can't afford to get too hurt because of my son.

Anyone know of a good DVD ripping program that is ideally free? I have a DVD me and some buddies made back in 04 and I want to post it up on Youtube.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/28/2014 12:07 PM

Evil kneivel , x games , mat Hoffman video games

|

11/28/2014 10:16 PM

What got me into bmx was YouTube!! Watched bmx vids all day long until I got my bike. Now I'm quiting bmx because it kills my knees!!!! I'll just stick to mountain biking!!

|

11/29/2014 1:15 PM

My dad rides and as soon as I could walk he got my a mini bike taught me how to ride and used to take me to the skatepark taught me how to do stuff and encouraged me to ride all the time

|

11/29/2014 1:20 PM

Jumped my walgooses till they broke. Then my parents bought me my first real bike. An Intense pro 20 race bike. I rode it at the skate park that summer, and was hooked. Eventually I broke it, so I got 600 bucks and built the bike I have about ten months ago.

|

11/30/2014 11:29 AM

If I saw a race bike at a park I'd lol. But seriously I always rode walgooses then one day I come up on this site. And then I found tcub then I found cl and bought a bike lol. Best mistake ever imo.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

11/30/2014 12:50 PM

When I was 5 I had a 16 inch mongoose that I would ride over this little grass hill thing. Then my parents took me to the track every once in a while, and when I was 11 or so, I started building dirt stumps that have slowly progressed into dirt jumps wink

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/1/2014 5:21 AM

All my mates had jump bikes, went mountain biking with my dad an i was like 'i need a jump bike'. Rode around an that was it, then my mate got a wtp justice and i loved tryin to ride it properly, but i sucked. Then a year ish later i traded my jump bike for a piece of shit bmx (i was 16) and i learmt 180s. That was it, i was off. Then like a year later i realised there were these things called 'edits' on the internet, joined vital and here i am. Tbh, i started bmx pretty late in life haha

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/1/2014 7:07 AM

Drew Bezanson at one of the Toronto BMX jams, probably 2010 ish, watched it, got my grandpa to buy me a bmx 3 months later.

|

12/1/2014 8:34 AM

doing little dirt jumps off dirt piles when I was a lil kid.

then seeing mirra and shit like that in the late 90's early 2000s

video games.. idk. there isn't any major thing that defined it

its been on and off since I was mad little

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "