What got you into riding?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2013 7:23 PM

Well i am making this thread because im sure there are some cool stories out there!! Some people saw a really cool edit, some had friends, some decided to after trying some other extreme sport and doing this because its better. haha Others have always just done it! Like me. I always rode bikes and i have been riding bikes for a long time really. But it wasnt until about a year and 2 months ago until i met my friend LJ and he showed me a bunch of stuff and i was doing wheelies and going fast at jumps on my Haro Backtrail. The thing that really inspired me to buy a good bike was this edit:

The reason that edit made me wanna ride is the vibe of it, you can tell Kurt was having a great time, the color affect looked really good and summery, which i love, the riding is hard, but smooth, it made me want to have a stolen! Which i got, then realized it was junk and began making a real good bike. haha so thats what really got me!
Also, please watch my friend ride! His name is LJ, he is pretty good, better actually now, these were from a while back, he breaks a lot of frames and stuff lol and im always working on his bikes. Just check out this edit! He really does make the most out of the tiny skatepark and he literally rides his bikes until they are completely broken. haha:

I know it probably isnt the greatest edit. But he was just starting out in this one and all, we are going to be making a nice edit soon hopefully, we are trying to get some new stuff layed down, and we are gonna go real big. I'll be sure to post it here! haha
|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/3/2013 7:34 PM

my brother. He had a bunch of gt's he would ride and dod tricks on so i wanted to ride with him and be as good as him. He wasnt super good or anything but he good do some stuff i thought was cool. Hed do footjam tailwhips, 180s, bunnyhop over things and him and his friend would build ramps and hit them with the bikes. I was about 8 at the time so i had a crappy bike, but he tought me how to bunny hop, do footjams and do wheelies pretty long. He stopped now and doesnt have time to teach me tricks. It was a while ago so he most likely forgot how to do them. I let him ride my bike a few weeks ago and all he could do was bunnyhop and hit ramps. He started working out a few years ago and now hes huge so he throws my bike around like nothing :p He can 180 like nothin but he forgot how to fakie and couldnt really do it out of the 180. Anyways ya, my brother got me pumped to ride and we ride motocross so we always used to watch those old motocross tapes and races and some bmx movies that got me pumped haha. I also used to skate and was really good at it but started not to like it so i got a bmx bike and been riding since smile im not good at flatland but i love going to the skatepark and riding the quarterpipes, banks, and ledges/rails. I also like to ride dirt jump a lot too. My friend and i have a few small dirt jumps behind his house but i havent went over there in a while so im not sure what happened to them.. but ya lol sorry for writing so much

|

Dream - Trans red BTM 8============================================>

7/3/2013 7:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2013 7:48 PM

My brother and Chris Doyle in the Props How-To video.

Also, just found out that one of the OG local guys just picked up a bike from the bike shop. He's the guy that's known around here for 720ing the biggest jump in the trails. csb.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/3/2013 7:50 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

My brother and Chris Doyle in the Props How-To video.

Also, just found out that one of the OG local guys just picked up a bike from the bike shop. He's the guy that's known around here for 720ing the biggest jump in the trails. csb.

I met Chris Doyle at a skatepark by Pittsburgh a while back. He was one nice and cool dude! Im glad i witnessed some of the nicest turndowns ever haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/3/2013 7:55 PM

I just happened to move into the right neighborhood I guess. (Not really awesome rider right, but knew more stuff.)
Up until then, my idea of a ramp was a piece of plywood and a cinder block, haha. They had one decent jump just down the street. You would ride fast down my street, go across the cross street to a path on the far side of a drainage ditch with a concrete bottom shaped like \____/ . We would go in at an angle, and fly up the bank on the other side. Between the dirt, concrete, and lip, it was about 4' high, and we would fly out of that thing and onto the culdesack. We didn't have a landing ramp, we just jumped to flat. It was this jump that broke my first BMX frame.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/3/2013 8:28 PM

Probably around 2006-08, maybe earlier, cant really remember but i would see episodes of props road fools and mega tour on fuel tv while i was waiting for skate shows to come on, that really opened my eyes to a type of riding i didn't even know existed and sparked my interest in bmx. It wasn't until the end of 2011 i actually bought a bike though. Looking back i wish i would've started riding back in 06, it would be cool to have those memories of growing up riding.

|

7/3/2013 8:52 PM

My cousin got me into it and we just built big ass ramps and shit he taught me how to j hop then we both quit bmx and got into dirtbikes and just about a year ago my best friend got me back into bmx and sold me his verde prism and then I taught myself to 180 and how to drop in and air out

|

Don't tell me how to live my life!

I failed the life test...

7/3/2013 9:11 PM

ive been jumping my bike off curbs and such since i was on two wheels (age 2) when i was 5 or 6 my dad bought me a used avent sixteen inch and starting taking me to skateparks. then we started going to the dew tour and i knew id never stop riding

|

Bicycles, Bikes and Cycles

7/3/2013 9:15 PM

friends rode. that got me started. i learned the basics. they quit. my life got rough. i got back into it around age 20 now 23 never gonna quit. i never actually quit, my riding just slowed down alot

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/3/2013 9:17 PM

my friend i meant in grade 9 got me into bmx i used to ride a bike sometimes so when he asked me to go biking with him i said sure i seen him do some hops and 180 to fakies and thought it was cool but it wasnt until i seen the edit once upon a time in the midlands by mutiny bmx and actually got a chance to go to the skatepark and get back in touch with an old childhood friend that i decided it was time for me to get a bike so i saved up over the following summer and by around mid october got myself a subrosa arum and really got into it now i ride pretty much everyday and have no plans on stopping

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/3/2013 9:29 PM

I believe it was my freshman year going on to sophmore year. I was down about some crap and feeling really sad and lonely, bmx just popped into my head. I used to ride bikes and what not but I never really did any tricks. Kind of trippy when I really think about how I actually got into bmx, I never heard of anyone talk about it didn't even know what it was. I just decided to earn and save up for a bike one day. Took me a couple of months to get $400 for my Kink whip. I still ride that same stock bike till this day my tires are all beat to shit and they're getting real slick my rims have dents in them and when I go real fast I can feel the wobble in the back of my rim. My grips are beat to hell my right grip is torn in half, my brakes don't work properly my shoes are losing their grip and I feel great riding..... Aside from the fact that my parents don't really support much of what I do I think it's time for me to stand up for myself and make myself heard....... Been having some shitty days lately can't land much busted my ass quite a few times the other day trying my 360's, I had the tire taps down and I just lost em...

|

7/3/2013 10:30 PM

Well basically it was the beginning of the 7th grade and lately i had started seeing highschool kids riding around on sundays fits and cults doing some tricks. But this one guy cuts me off wallrides up the school wall and then manuals away into the sunset it was that moment i decided "Im gonna beat him in a game of B.I.K.E." so i waited a few months bought a haro x2 waited a while to get all my parts. in that few months i realized i loved bmx and rode everyday. and then one day at the local skatepark i ran into the kid that got me into bmx and beat him in a game of bike.

|

making half retarded post at the moment

7/3/2013 10:54 PM

Me and my dudes always rode our bikes around everywhere. Just eventually got into the aftermarket.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

7/4/2013 12:03 PM

I broke my ankle skating and 2 years later my friends got me into just taking bikes off of plastic ramps, not boosting or doing any tricks just getting as much speed as possible and going off the jump.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

7/4/2013 12:09 PM

I've always liked hauling ass and bikes were the best way to do so growing up. Got into skating for like two years with friends. They quit and bought bikes. I did the same after some resistance. (i really enjoyed my time skating) Got to riding some freestyle and never looked back. Now most of the same friends have quit BMX for whatever reasons.. I'm still lovin it.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

7/4/2013 12:15 PM

Some kid in 4th grade introduced me to it. He still rides but hes a total downer

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.