What happened to the 22,23/8 gearing

Related:
Create New Tag

4/7/2016 11:45 AM

I've been away from bmx for a while. I have been looking around bmx site just to see all that's changed. I noticed that monster tires and high wide bars now seem to be the norm ,but the super small gearing has seem to vanish. Think animal and profile are only making them still. What happened?

|

4/7/2016 11:48 AM

bearings are small and fragile friend i ride with has a 22-8 animal setup and its just blown out

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

4/7/2016 12:24 PM

They're just not good. And yeah the huge bar and tire thing is ridiculous haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/7/2016 12:33 PM

Oh no that's bad news for me. I just scored a new primo mix cassette in 8 tooth. It's got the bushing instead of the bearings so I was hoping it would last longer... sad

|

4/7/2016 2:35 PM

plus the insane added stress on the chain/only being able to use certain chains

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/7/2016 2:39 PM

It puts significantly more stress on each tooth, causing faster wear, and less precise engagement. This is why racers use larger gears to achieve the same ratio. It also is incompatible with large bearings such as those used in free coasters, which a majority of the riders use now

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

4/7/2016 3:17 PM

Anyone run 23/9 before? Might this be ok for a kid just starting? (more emphasis on getting rolling, balance started and low top speed not a concern plus as a little kid = less weight and torque applied to drivetrain than teen, adult)

I have a good old animal 6061 sprocky in 23t and trying to decide if I should just bin it and get a new 25 sprocket for my little guy or not

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

4/7/2016 3:51 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

It puts significantly more stress on each tooth, causing faster wear, and less precise engagement. This is why racers use ...more

This plus having a LOT less stress on each tooth/link, making chain breaks less common with just pedaling.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/7/2016 3:53 PM

Good thing I still have the 9t driver for my profile.I will say my first ever snaped chain was from riding my 22 /8 ,but it had a lot off miles on it. Have a old kmc look chain on now.

|

4/7/2016 4:45 PM

Charliekeet wrote:

Anyone run 23/9 before? Might this be ok for a kid just starting? (more emphasis on getting rolling, balance started and low ...more

I ran 23/9 on a bmx I hadset up for trail riding. It made technical uphills a lot easier and I was able to hang with most casual mountain bikers. But when I took the bike to the dirt jumps it was not too bad. Had to spin a bit faster to get enough speed as there were no drop in rams. But it was fine. Might be good for a little guy. I would try it out.

|

4/8/2016 12:41 PM

Charliekeet wrote:

Anyone run 23/9 before? Might this be ok for a kid just starting? (more emphasis on getting rolling, balance started and low ...more

7plymaple wrote:

I ran 23/9 on a bmx I hadset up for trail riding. It made technical uphills a lot easier and I was able to hang with most ...more

Thx for the info!

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

4/8/2016 2:21 PM

i never really got into that whole small gearing thing. ive pretty much always ran a standard 25-9 gearing. at one point i had a 25-10 because a deal i got on a wheel. but those are as small as ive gone.

and i never really liked the massive bars thing. ive always kept em on the smaller end. and tires i could give a fuck less about. most of the tires i have/had were leftovers from friends either not liking them or just wanting new ones.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/9/2016 9:56 AM

27\9 is the perfect gear ratio lol

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

4/9/2016 12:33 PM

I ride 25/9, my legs don't get as tired.

|