What is 60 psi good for?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2017 7:08 PM

Im replacing my tires on my bike with the odyssey chase hawk tire, one thing that really bothers me is that the max is 65 psi. does running lower psi make it more likely for pinch flats?

|

3/28/2017 7:21 PM

Maximum pressure is 100PSI as far as I remember, where did you see 65?

Lower pressure means it's easier to pinch flat and you won't roll nearly as well. Only upside to it as far as I can tell is it saves your wrists.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2017 8:30 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Maximum pressure is 100PSI as far as I remember, where did you see 65?

Lower pressure means it's easier to pinch flat and you won't roll nearly as well. Only upside to it as far as I can tell is it saves your wrists.

I'm assuming he got his hands on a stock pair of chase hawk tires (they come on Sunday completes, my friend has a Sunday complete with chase hawk tires and they say 65 PSI)

I've ridden tires that say nothing above 65 psi, and I've ridden them at 80 psi and it was fine.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/28/2017 8:40 PM

105+ PSI or nothing.

|

3/28/2017 8:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 8:59 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I'm assuming he got his hands on a stock pair of chase hawk tires (they come on Sunday completes, my friend has a Sunday complete with chase hawk tires and they say 65 PSI)

I've ridden tires that say nothing above 65 psi, and I've ridden them at 80 psi and it was fine.

I didn't realise there were cheaper versions of that tyre.

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere recently that how the manufacturer decides max pressure is, they pump it up until it explodes, then halve the pressure it exploded at and call it the max pressure. Most tyres will take a lot more than the given max pressure.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2017 9:03 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

105+ PSI or nothing.

Thisssss

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

3/28/2017 9:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 9:43 PM

Low psi doesn't save your wrists it just ruins rims , more speed is what saves your wrists 100psi of up is the only way to go

|

3/28/2017 9:40 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

105+ PSI or nothing.

This af

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

3/28/2017 11:20 PM

I run 60psi, never get pinch flats, and my bike still rolls quicker than most (including my friends bike who runs 100psi and has profile elite hubs, to the point I have to keep slowing down if we coast down a hill together)

|

3/28/2017 11:45 PM

I have to run 85+ on my tires but anything under 70 feels like trash imo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/29/2017 12:55 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I run 60psi, never get pinch flats, and my bike still rolls quicker than most (including my friends bike who runs 100psi and has profile elite hubs, to the point I have to keep slowing down if we coast down a hill together)

Same, anything higher and it kills my wrists etc. I would put it down to old age (and not being very good ) but I always ran at 60 or so even when younger.

|

3/29/2017 6:39 AM

I ride 35-40 psi... brakes are the only reason why, also i feel like i absorb things better, I also do a ton of bump jumps, bumb jump to rail ride, bump jump to 180, etc. and my wheel is fine.

|

@Jewishlamb

3/29/2017 7:41 AM

I used to run 80-ish, didn't like the harshness. I continue to lower it, and now I'm running 55–60. I've never had a pinch flat, but I don't think my current style/ability really has me worried about pinch flats anyway. It's comfortable, and my bike rolls just fine.

|

3/29/2017 2:37 PM

Its a personal preference thing, bikers will do the same as well some will say they run 36psi, others run 33 etc, its also going to do with size and weight of the rider, a 100lb rider will probably prefer lower pressures to a 250lb rider, if you took that 100lb rider and they had 50 psi in each tyre and say for example the contact patch of a bmx tyre is a square inch, now imagine the 250lb rider getting on the same bike, it would feel like crap as the tyres will be much more deformed, as well as the contact patch increasing in size due to the extra weight, it would also add more rolling resistance and feel like you were loosing a lot of speed...start increasing it 5psi till you get to a range your happy with and then start fine tuning it to your personal preference.

|

3/29/2017 10:59 PM

Low pressure is good for traction

|

6/27/2017 11:31 AM

bmxgoddess wrote:

Im replacing my tires on my bike with the odyssey chase hawk tire, one thing that really bothers me is that the max is 65 psi. does running lower psi make it more likely for pinch flats?

I work at a bike shop running 110 psi like a lot of guys do is stupid people follow what most people do.running 100 psi puts extreme tension on the spokes my friend makes his wheel go out of true every time he rides I run 60-70 psi I weigh 220 and I have yet to true my wheels because I let my tire take most of the impact when I 180 or air out of bowls Aaron Ross runs like 50 psi

|