What is Slack?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2015 7:43 AM

Im a noob, and what is minimum/maximum slack on my freecoaster? Pls help

|

6/13/2015 7:57 AM

The amount of free play in the clutch of a coaster before you can pedal forward.

With a cassette, there is very little, if any, slack. When you pedal forward, you go forward.

On a coaster, They can have almost no slack, like a cassette, making a fakie very hard. If you have none, as soon as your feet move, you're probably going to flip over onto your back.

But most, like myself when i rode a coaster, prefer to have maximum, or close to maximum. There is usually 1/4th a crank of slack in that setting. Also depending on the coaster, of course. 1/4th is like thinking of your crank rotation as a whole circle. and a quarter of it is free play. Once you pedal past the 1/4th area of slack, you have engaged the coaster and may begin pedaling. To disengage, all you have to do, before you are about to fakie, is pedal back about 1/4th of a crank. Which is great.

Now that the Profile Z Coaster is out and some have it, you can expect that to be rather different. It's a cassette until you pedal back past the amount of degree it has. Which is rad. Then to re-engage it into a cassette all you have to do is pedal into it past the degree in which it engages. You can also hear whether it's engaged or disengaged.

Coasters are really more simple to ride than explain. Personally, I won't have one again until the Clutch coaster from Odyssey drops. If i have the cash. Those coasters are sick. My biggest problem with coasting is the slack, I HATE the feeling of it when riding park. It's scary and weird. But on street, it's actually ideal. Which makes me just ride a cassette. Mainly because there is no point for me to not. I can fakie just as long. Even though it may not look as good. haha

But for the best advice I can give you, if you ride park, stick to cassette for a while until you're really comfortable. I think that the people that buy freecoasters thinking it'll make them fakie longer should have been abortions.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/13/2015 8:53 AM

Free play as in when your going fakie your able to pedal forward? Or as in how?

I appreciate u helping me dude

|

6/13/2015 8:54 AM

But only 1/4, or depending on your coaster?^

|

6/13/2015 8:59 AM

I get it..

When i ride= its engaged
When i stop its disengaged

If i ride fakie and pedal forward its engaged again, yeah?

|

6/13/2015 9:02 AM

I think i get it...Slack= amount of time until my bike will let me pedal forward?

|

6/13/2015 9:11 AM

Gabriel_Romero wrote:

I think i get it...Slack= amount of time until my bike will let me pedal forward?

This is right. If you ride one you'll feel it.

Once you get good on one you can really anticipate the slack and it's not too bad. But if you never rode a coaster odds are it'll make you really scared and confused and you'll begin questioning your whole life.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/13/2015 9:46 AM

I posted something similar but i didnt explain well, but i feel a tiny little bit of slack i guess u can say when i pedal forward...Could it be the chain? Not oiled?

I mean activating slack,is usually when someone rides fakie right?

|

6/13/2015 9:48 AM

* I guess you can say slack when I pedal forward.

|

9/4/2015 10:18 PM

i don't think you are serious Gabriel_Romero... I've seen many posts you have posted that lead me to believe that you don't actually ride bmx at all... i think you are trolling. Many members on this forum have explained free coasters (which you claim to have) in great detail and you are still asking about an oiled chain???

Im really not trying to be mean or insult you, If I'm wrong then keep riding man.

|

9/5/2015 4:16 AM

go to youtube and search profile z coaster slack. so you will have an idea of what slack is.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.