What is considered a light frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2017 11:53 AM

What is considered Light, Heavy and medium as I was getting a 5.0lbs (Stranger Crux frame) frame and was just wondering if that was heavy for a BMX frame

|

3/10/2017 11:58 AM

HypeMike wrote:

What is considered Light, Heavy and medium as I was getting a 5.0lbs (Stranger Crux frame) frame and was just wondering if ...more

That's pretty standard and just fine. A light frame would be like 3-4 lbs most likely titanium or something like the Premium Guttershark.

|

3/10/2017 12:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2017 1:44 PM

5 lbs is average, so anything above or below that would be heavy or light, respectively. Frame weight doesn't really matter, rotational weight in your wheels is far more important.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/10/2017 1:13 PM

Whether or not you've had a shit for a few days is even more important.

But seriously, geometry is more important than weight. A heavier frame with more aggressive geometry will be easier to throw around and feel more balanced than a light frame with mellow geometry. But, if you want to flow around, a light frame still feels unstable too. (to me at least)

|

3/10/2017 6:20 PM

I thought everyone was getting away from the weight weenie bullshit already. Apparently not! I myself do not care about weight. I like a heavy bike

|

3/10/2017 6:32 PM

I find that light wheels make the most difference for a light feeling bike, more than a frame.

|

3/10/2017 8:01 PM

Anything under 5lbs is pretty light for today's current standards. Plus it'll be strong enough to not worry about bending when landing sideways or off .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/11/2017 12:39 AM

Do steroids and ride a 8 pound huffy frame , that's what nasty did and he's got the best style on the jumps

|

3/11/2017 2:50 AM

3 lb 10 oz to 4.5 lb and I don't get why everyone makes such a fuss about people wanting a light bike lol. Weight does matter quite a bit especially on the wheels and rotational weight. I mean I guess if you just roll around and never do tricks or just flow a heavy bike is okay. But it's not 2004 anymore and technology in bmx is so advanced I see it pointless to ride a clunky 32 lb bike.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/11/2017 3:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2017 3:24 AM

Four wrote:

3 lb 10 oz to 4.5 lb and I don't get why everyone makes such a fuss about people wanting a light bike lol. Weight does matter ...more

Haha so you're saying basically that everyone that ever rode a heavy bike and still do doesn't do tricks and just rolls around? Are you out of your fucking mind? Bmx has gotten so gay over the years. Girl jeans and lite bikes?

|

3/11/2017 3:40 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Haha so you're saying basically that everyone that ever rode a heavy bike and still do doesn't do tricks and just rolls ...more

No but it seems everyone who hates light bikes so much are the old guys at the park who "used to" do everything roll around for 15 minutes talk about mid school and leave. The reason people who actually ride that want a light bike is because it makes their style of riding easier. Let's see a hop whip on that 30+lb bike? Or even a flat 3. It feels like shit. and haha what's really gay is bashing people who want a light bike or wear girl jeans ( a lot more comfortable than riding in loose jeans) the trend now is your bike being heavy anyways because streeeetdawg

/end rant lmao

|

3/11/2017 3:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2017 3:59 AM

Four wrote:

3 lb 10 oz to 4.5 lb and I don't get why everyone makes such a fuss about people wanting a light bike lol. Weight does matter ...more

seanthemechanic wrote:

Haha so you're saying basically that everyone that ever rode a heavy bike and still do doesn't do tricks and just rolls ...more

Four wrote:

No but it seems everyone who hates light bikes so much are the old guys at the park who "used to" do everything roll around ...more

I'm not one of those "old" dudes that just rolls around the park and then leaves. I still send it all the time. I ride street and dirt and my my bike isn't exactly the litest thing around but when you're used to something that's what works. The weight weenie shit was an annoying trend. How about the kids at the parks never riding and sitting on the deck talking all day about how light your bike is and how light his bike is and how they can make them lighter. Blowing forums up about how to make their bike light. Doing it all wearing girl jeans and who's gf or sister is hotter that they stole the jeans from

|

3/11/2017 4:25 AM

Four wrote:

Bikes weren't 32lbs in 2004. 04 was when bikes started to get lighter, the end of mid school. My s&m pbr was 27lbs. With no real attention to having light parts (US bb, profile large flange hubs, s&m racing stem, slam bars etc.)

I agree with what you're saying to a degree, but bikes can be too light. And when they're light they're weaker. The only way to make things light now is by reducing the amount of material. Which inherently makes parts weaker. Right now, bikes aren't really much lighter than they were 10 years ago, because 10 years ago everyone was breaking parts. They still are. Because the parts are weaker in the search for weight reduction. Federal and eclat are pretty well known for being pretty light, but almost everything they make snaps. I mean, look at the lacey frame, and that's not even really considered a light frame

|

3/11/2017 4:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2017 4:33 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I'm not one of those "old" dudes that just rolls around the park and then leaves. I still send it all the time. I ride street ...more

I never said you were that's just who I've noticed bitch the most about kids who want a light bike. If you're still shredding and a heavy bike works for you then that's rad. Don't get me wrong it's annoying as fuck when kids who don't ride are talking about they only want lite bikez but not everyone who rides a light bike is like that it just feels better for different styles and anymore it's rare to even find light parts seeing as heavy gigantic street bikes are the trend now. I wish companies still pushed light strong products. The parts today are really no stronger it seems and a lot heavier. I was hoping to see how light and durable parts could get but it seems we've reverted back to the mid 2000s with 6 lb frames and 40 oz bars and forks haha. As for the jeans I can't help you there I dont even think people wear girl jeans now. That was like a 2005 thing because all the jeans were too big to ride in and rolling one leg up just looks stupid. It's all about those stupid rolled up chino pant things.

|

3/11/2017 6:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2017 6:50 AM

Four wrote:

Didn't you know it's so uncool to want a light bike nowadays, but it is cool to make fun of people who like light bikes (weight weenies). So if you want to be trendy, you have to follow everyone else, and do exactly what the cool kids do.

Really though, bikes have gotten heavier, because people who actually ride their bikes got sick of breaking stuff. Lighter=less material=weaker. As for frames, I'd go for 5.5-6 pounds. Then try and get it around 23-24 pounds complete. Perfect strength/weight ratio.
I bet most kids don't even know why they don't like light bikes though. They just do whatever their friends do

|

3/11/2017 7:07 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Didn't you know it's so uncool to want a light bike nowadays, but it is cool to make fun of people who like light bikes ...more

It's not quite as simple as lighter = weaker. You can remove a lot of weight from a part and keep/increase the strength by using material efficiently and taking advantage of the material's properties or a different structure. Just look at the Sunday Soundwave, it's around 4.85lbs and several times as strong as most other frames on the market(plus, there's the warranty). The G-Sport Ribcages are another great example, far stronger than pretty much any other rim but still lighter than a lot of others on the market.
My current build is around 21lbs and will outlast me, despite my best efforts. I could get it down to about 19lbs with very similar strength to what it has but 19lbs is where shit starts getting twitchy.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/11/2017 7:23 AM

Four wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Didn't you know it's so uncool to want a light bike nowadays, but it is cool to make fun of people who like light bikes ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

It's not quite as simple as lighter = weaker. You can remove a lot of weight from a part and keep/increase the strength by ...more

A Sunday wave frame probably isn't the best example. Even with the wave tubing and post weld heat treating, they still crack. There's more cracked Sunday frames out there than, let's say, fbm (you could argue they sell more, but they probably don't)
And g sport rims are undoubtedly strong, but they're not really any lighter than any other half decent rim on the market.

I personally don't like a bike that's too light. I got a cult os v3 down to about 22lbs, and it felt horrible, to me. I've found myself constantly wanting more stability since then (but I ride street, I'm still trying to find the perfect balance.)
It's all about balance though. Dialling your bike in to how you personally want it is the main reason behind building a custom bike.everyone can give their opinion, but non of it is fact.

|

3/11/2017 8:05 AM

Pretty much just get whatever you like, and whatever works best for you personally. Works for me. Looking to lose weight in a frame though doesn't make much sense to me, when it's only a pound different. Geometry matters more, and you definitely won't notice the pound difference on the frame compared to a pound less rubber on your tires.

|

3/11/2017 8:23 AM

I'm not one who really cares too much about the strength of my bike. I just buy whatever parts have the geo I like and are decently light. But the light frames aren't as weak as everyone thinks they are I see just as many broken frames now.

|

3/11/2017 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2017 8:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

A Sunday wave frame probably isn't the best example. Even with the wave tubing and post weld heat treating, they still crack. ...more

I'm quite good at breaking frames, I snapped my last one in 5 weeks but the Soundwave has lasted a year and a half and I'm pushing myself far harder now than ever before(at the moment, I'm learning flat 3whips) and I'm certainly no smoother than I was when had the last frame. When I had that frame I was almost 2 stone lighter, I've built up quite a bit since then.

I can't compare the Soundwave to an FBM frame because I've never had an FBM frame, hell, I've never even met anyone with one. I can be sure however, that if they're anything like my last frame, I'd snap one in less than a week with how I'm riding now but again, I know nothing about them. I can't imagine FBM's numbers compare to Sunday's but then again, FBM are not nearly as common where I am as somewhere else. Sunday have put out a lot of different frames since they started, some good, some bad but they seem to have 'hit the nail right on the head' with the Soundwave. It's by far the longest-lasting frame I've had and I can't see it breaking anytime soon. Also, it was roughly the geometry I was looking for when I got it and it rides so well!

I can't imagine there's more broken Soundwaves than any specific frame from FBM but if there was, who the Soundwave is marketed to would be a huge reason. It is marketed as the strongest frame out there and aimed more at the type of rider who'd snap 3 frames between getting out of bed and getting breakfast, for example, Spencer Foresman. I'm sure he's broken at least one and I know a few others have but in his case, he rides far harder than most people.

The Rigcages, not my best example, something like the Alienation Runaway would be a far better one. I am kinda biased on them as well though because I look after my wheels. How the Runaways would fare under somebody who didn't, I don't know.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/11/2017 9:07 AM

The fbm autopilot was known for cracking around the headtube/toptube. Other than that I don't think I've ever heard of one cracking. They're made from better quality material than your average Taiwanese made frame. And they don't care so much about weight, so the tubing is thicker gauge than the "light" frames on the market. So the soundwave is marketed as a strong frame, but fbm, standard and s&m are just known for being strong. They're known for their quality and that they're made to last.

I'm not trying to argue, just point out that a lot of frames on the market that are light, are weak.
Going back to the federal lacey, it's a 5lbs frame, I've known of 5 of those frames locally, all but one cracked in the same place around the headtube/toptube (one of those was a week after the owner tried telling me federal are better than fbm.....) when they were around a year old.

I know runaways are pretty good rims. I used to have one. I'm running a pair of felons now, and for the price I think they're the best rims out there

|

3/11/2017 9:26 AM

I Have a friend who cracked a new fbm but it was on some big shit.

As for s&m I've never been impressed with their quality I've seen so many cracked btms, I cracked an laf bent their bars etc. plenty of dented frames. Can't speak for standard but they seem legit.

|