What is it with everybody and feather weight bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2008 6:20 PM

My brother picked up my bike and was like wow your bike weighs a ton, how the hell do you jump that high. my bikes wieghs 32 pounds, and when i started ridign that was light, it was like the saying goes by old bmxer in a ridebmx article, bikes are meant to soar not fly.

|

2/25/2008 6:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2008 7:09 PM

|

2/25/2008 6:43 PM

my bike weighs 25lbs haha :]

|

I ride in tight pants and what :]]

2/25/2008 7:45 PM

the youth targeted market of this generation is aimed for really expensive light as fuck parts, that you would have to take out a loan for. I wish it wasn't so drilled into there tiny bruised skulls that you have gotta go light or your out of the 'scene'. I think there is a dysfunctional setting going on, and it seems that everyone is in this trance.

|

2/25/2008 7:49 PM

WITHTEETH wrote:

the youth targeted market of this generation is aimed for really expensive light as fuck parts, that you would have to take out a loan for. I wish it wasn't so drilled into there tiny bruised skulls that you have gotta go light or your out of the 'scene'. I think there is a dysfunctional setting going on, and it seems that everyone is in this trance.

i agree with that, its getting to the point where people drill holes in there damn seat post clamps to save .00000006 of an ounce .. sadly i know someone whos actually done this ..

|

2/25/2008 8:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 3:59 PM

i agree that is kind of wrong but if you can have a lighter bike instead

of a bike that weights tons. (the one i started it also weighted like 35 or 38)

i understand you but is also cool to have your bike lighter but not make it an obsession

(sorry for my english) Pinch

|

2/25/2008 8:47 PM

hay hay hay man when i started rideing my frist bmx bike was like 44lbs and it was a redline something rather i dont rember but when i upgraded i found that i can boost like 70% higher now and i can say i respect people that can boost hella big on a bike thats hevey so no matter what anyone says just ride whats nice to u and fuck what eveyone else says we ride for fun no matter what u ride and thats no joke

|

ineedahug or cranks idk kare much bit i want the cranks more

2/26/2008 9:00 AM

when i started riding seriously like 6 years ago my bike weighed like 40 pounds now i have it down to like 23/24 pounds and i find it to be a lot easier to do some tricks and all

|

2/26/2008 12:53 PM

i kno
fuck all these kid laughin my bike weighs 28 pounds when i started ridin 35 pound bikes were lite so im no weight guru
jes cuz somthin lite dont mean it good takes a man to ride a heavy bike props to u

with a lighter bike u can ride a lot longer u be suprised

|

2/26/2008 1:55 PM

my bike weighs under 19 pounds and its sooo easy to do tricks on such as 360 hops, i'm not all that bothered for being called a fashion victim light bikes help your ability on a bike

|

2/26/2008 2:08 PM

I ride a Eastern Grim Reaper, my entire bike weighs just about 20 pounds. I dont do it to be cool, or because its the newest thing. I have had the lightest bike around for awhile now. I am not saying that i light bike is for everone. Alot of people ride my bike and say that it is just too light for them, thats fine with me. Its all about what you personally like. i am a small guy so a 20inch top tube and a 20 pound bike works great for me. Not everything is about being cool. Some people just like what they like. I know people who can only ride heavy bikes (around 30 or 32 pounds) they just like a little meat on their bikes.

|

2/26/2008 2:11 PM

Perry wrote:

my bike weighs under 19 pounds and its sooo easy to do tricks on such as 360 hops, i'm not all that bothered for being called a fashion victim light bikes help your ability on a bike

Not to be mean or anything, but i checked your profile, and there is no way that your bike is lighter than 19pounds. I run a eastern Grim Reaper and have Ti spokes, and most of the lightest parts around, and my bike isnt even that light. I would say your bike is around 24 or 25 pounds.

|

2/26/2008 7:33 PM

thank you for everyone agreeing with me that you don't need a shit light bike, im heavy into trails and my bike takes a beating and never breaks apart. also i tried riding my brother bike and i did a back flip straight to my ass the bike got no front end weight.

|

2/26/2008 7:33 PM

thank you for everyone agreeing with me that you don't need a shit light bike, im heavy into trails and my bike takes a beating and never breaks apart. also i tried riding my brother bike and i did a back flip straight to my ass the bike got no front end weight.

|

2/26/2008 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2008 7:38 PM

Perry wrote:

BandAid wrote:

Not to be mean or anything, but i checked your profile, and there is no way that your bike is lighter than 19pounds. I run a eastern Grim Reaper and have Ti spokes, and most of the lightest parts around, and my bike isnt even that light. I would say your bike is around 24 or 25 pounds.

|

2/26/2008 7:38 PM

Perry wrote:

BandAid wrote:

|

2/27/2008 8:13 AM

Perry wrote:

BandAid wrote:

i've had it weighed in various places it is just short of 19 pounds thankyou very much, the frame is 4.2 the forks are 1.9, double butted spokes, magesium hub shells, wombolt cranks, plastic pedals, khe tyres, pivotal seat/post with the post 2 inch long, elementary stem.... it is under 19 pounds, i looked at your bike check and my parts mostly weigh the same or less than yours and i run no pegs, it is under 19, pah.... sore losersmile

|

2/27/2008 8:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2008 8:14 AM

Perry wrote:

BandAid wrote:

biker4lifepg wrote:

|

2/27/2008 9:46 AM

What can you throw farther? a bowling ball, a baseball or a cotton ball? Depending on how strong you are you can probably throw the bowling ball about ten yards. the baseball might go a hundred yards... now tell me ... how far can you throw a cotton ball? probably about five yards. ... whats better?? ... light ,heavy or just plain comfortable ? even with this analogy heavier is better than light... if your talking about momentum and height and distance. My opinion is this ... heavy bikes make you go fast and big, they sorta pull you behind for the ride ... light bikes are easier for you little grommets to do tailwhips and hop 3's all day before you hit puberty and grow arms.

|

2/27/2008 10:09 AM

my bike wieghs 24 lbs and its perfect for me

i built it by picking and choosing every piece and part on my bike it cost me 1,300 bucks and i didnt even stress about the wieght and its still 6 pounds lighter than my old bike

|

2/27/2008 1:15 PM

jordanbmxbmx wrote:

What can you throw farther? a bowling ball, a baseball or a cotton ball? Depending on how strong you are you can probably throw the bowling ball about ten yards. the baseball might go a hundred yards... now tell me ... how far can you throw a cotton ball? probably about five yards. ... whats better?? ... light ,heavy or just plain comfortable ? even with this analogy heavier is better than light... if your talking about momentum and height and distance. My opinion is this ... heavy bikes make you go fast and big, they sorta pull you behind for the ride ... light bikes are easier for you little grommets to do tailwhips and hop 3's all day before you hit puberty and grow arms.

i can understand your point but personally i find my light bike helps me go far higher, and if the right parts are purchased they are strong too, don't knock it til you've tried it

|

2/27/2008 2:17 PM

ive been riding hard for 12 years, grew up riding a S&M bennett, now ive got a grim reaper, my bike now weighs 20lb, and i dont break a thing, i just ride smooth from growing up racing/big trails for so long. i get parts at cost from working at a shop so its not expensive or anything, so theres no reason not to for me.

i agree you dont need a light bike, but one isnt better than the other for everyone. end discussion.

|

2/27/2008 2:17 PM

ive been riding hard for 12 years, grew up riding a S&M bennett, now ive got a grim reaper, my bike now weighs 20lb, and i dont break a thing, i just ride smooth from growing up racing/big trails for so long. i get parts at cost from working at a shop so its not expensive or anything, so theres no reason not to for me.

i agree you dont need a light bike, but one isnt better than the other for everyone. end discussion.

|

2/27/2008 2:28 PM

yea thats another 1300 dollars for your bike is fucking lot of money, and to shave off some ounces, idk my whole set up cost me around 750 and it took me about three years to build. but unfortunately almost everybody rides street and park which im into but until you ride trails and throw your bike away from ya at 15 plus feet up and watch it tumble like a rag doll then you tell me how it holds up.

|

2/27/2008 2:29 PM

i also find hilarious how were discussing this and right below haro had an add for their new lite line of 27 pound bikes.

|

2/27/2008 3:47 PM

i ride a 25 pound bike and i love it. ive tried riding super lite bikes and everything feels easier for me once im used to the change.

|

skate boards kill trees

2/27/2008 3:48 PM

i ride a 25 pound bike and i love it. ive tried riding super lite bikes and everything feels easier for me once im used to the change.

|

skate boards kill trees

2/27/2008 3:53 PM

i ride a 24/25 pound bike and i love it , its so much easier and gives you more bike control to have a lighter bike i used to ride a bike that weighed 35 pounds drops 10 pounds and everything is better i love light bikes

|

2/27/2008 4:35 PM

pretty sure you shouldnt care about what other people think and they shouldnt care either a lighter bike will help you in different areas simple as that if you like the way your bike is then fine if someone else doesnt then thats their problem
my bike is 25.5 lbs and it's actually going up last time i weighed it and it should be going up cause i got a new long seatpost, got rid of my kevlar bead tire, and am going to be running 4 pegs instead of 2 and i could care less cause i still ride the same even with an extra 2 lbs

|

2/27/2008 6:07 PM

yeah my bike is 26 lbs right now and im gonna hope to have it down to 25 lbs soon. it just better for me and riding for long periods. i just like it light and strong...

|