What is the best complete for around $500?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2014 7:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2014 12:05 AM

Old school rider here suddenly got the itch to ride again after about 15 years lol. When I was a kid the best bikes were GTs, Haros, Hoffmans and such, well a lot has changed. I hear WTP are the best now but they don't really offer full chro-mo for anything under $650. I am working with around 450-550 and am on the tall side so probably would need a 21 inch tt.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, I just don't want to beat up my old school bike from the 80s while tearing it down on the concrete streets.

edit: anything wrong with the 2014 gt performers? they offer a full chromo frame and fork, double walled rims. it seems like everyone turned on GT, when I was a kid they were the most sought after bikes.

|

7/15/2014 7:42 PM

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/15/2014 7:49 PM

stolen heist or sinner

|

7/15/2014 8:02 PM

huntsforbunz wrote:

stolen heist or sinner

I heard STLN don't hold up well, maybe I'm wrong

|

7/15/2014 8:08 PM

ive seen and road stolen parts i love them

|

7/15/2014 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2014 8:18 PM

I personally ride and love my WTP Crysis. it was originally $600 but I got it for $380. I see Danscomp is fairly picked- over for WTP so your next bet is probably United.
http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102454/2015_United_KL40_Expert_Bike.html
They are underrated imo. My freind has had his for a year so far and the only thing he has had to replace was a spindle bolt. The model he got was only $550 too. If you are really wanting a WTP, I would call one of the Scheels that sells them and have it sent to the closest location to you. (That's what I did, got for $380)

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

7/15/2014 8:19 PM

huntsforbunz wrote:

stolen heist or sinner

GTperformer88 wrote:

I heard STLN don't hold up well, maybe I'm wrong

My stolen parts lasted quite awhile. Once I started getting a lot better things started breaking. Not a terrible brand by any means in my opinion, just not the best either. I would check out This or This if you don't want to spend the full $600

|

References - jared42069

7/15/2014 8:24 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

I personally ride and love my WTP Crysis. it was originally $600 but I got it for $380. I see Danscomp is fairly picked- over ...more

sheels? I'm sorry can you explain that part better? How can I get one for that price?

|

7/15/2014 8:39 PM

Well, Scheels is a sporting goods store that also sells bikes. On the WTP website they have a list of who retails their bikes. Find a retailer (doesn't have to be Scheels) that is close to you and see if they have the bike you want.
http://wethepeoplebmx.de/shopfinder/usa

The way I got my bike for dirt cheap was b/c it was a 2013 model and I got it late in 2013, after the 2014 models had came out, so Scheels gave me a big discount for that, also b/c it prob wasn't selling. =)

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

7/15/2014 8:49 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Well, Scheels is a sporting goods store that also sells bikes. On the WTP website they have a list of who retails their bikes. ...more

well they don't have those stores around me, I think that bike will be very expensive where I live (ny)

|

7/15/2014 8:56 PM

Mongoose mode 900 then drop 300 bucks on upgrades

|

7/15/2014 8:57 PM

eskimojay wrote:

yes that

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/15/2014 9:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2014 9:16 PM

eskimojay wrote:

is this troll or for real deal? I know its a 100% chromo frame, what else makes this frame worth buying? I am just curious, I have a mongoose crush al 2004 its a BEAST frame but mad heavy. (Sorry for thread highjacking OP, but these guys would give you a much better answer than I could I was just curious. Hope you find the right back for you! Welcome back to bmx! )

|

7/15/2014 9:20 PM

eskimojay wrote:

ghostx720 wrote:

is this troll or for real deal? I know its a 100% chromo frame, what else makes this frame worth buying? I am just curious, I ...more

maybe since they are in every walmert target or sears they can afford to price it that cheap. The frame and fork looks good but everything else is crap.

|

7/15/2014 9:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2014 9:33 PM

If I had 500 bucks and no bike that's what I'd do got a solid bike to start on then save pay checks and move on with life and replace shit as it broke make some modifying to it that would meet what I like to ride probably start with a decent rear wheel and switch it to 30 9 gearing , my rear wheel takes a beating sometimes that's the part I would want to know I can beat the shit out of, the rest of the bike would hold up a quite a while I bet , I don't care about the lightness of a bike I'm more concerned with how fast it can go ....I know guys who ride hi tensil steel bikes and rip on them harder then other kids who spend tons of cash on high quality parts But their riding ability never gets to a high enough level to put them to the test , if you have some bike control and some decent smoothness you don't need the super strongest parts for a bike to last , that bike looks pretty much near the same and just as good as any bike your going to spend 500 dollars on a bike from danscomp and after shipping will be totally stock without any mods to ones personal preference

|

7/15/2014 9:30 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If I had 500 bucks and no bike that's what I'd do got a solid bike to start on then save pay checks and move on with life and ...more

nice dude. I like the sound of it all! I try to bmx on a budget so i hear you there! something cool I saw about the 900 is it comes with doublewall rims so thats nice and , full chromo so the frame shouldnt really snap easily at all and 3 pc crank yeah it might be on the heavy side but would probably be pretty tank.

|

7/15/2014 9:34 PM

I'm a skinny short dude so heavy bikes and me do not mix well! lol I was surprised when I rode my gt zone 2013 (Got it for $250) and it was whipping around every where. was quite the difference from the heavy mongoose crush al frame I had. mine only came with single wall rims, and SOME sealed components so that is more than likely the trade off compared to the 900 for the price.

|

7/15/2014 9:43 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If I had 500 bucks and no bike that's what I'd do got a solid bike to start on then save pay checks and move on with life and ...more

well Im not really looking to "start" on something, I used to ride pretty heavy back in the day, had a lot of GTs and haro's over the years, then real life kicked in and I haven't rode in a LONG time. I was actually looking for a mountain bike then I remembered how much fun BMX'ing was and how boring mountain biking was through the city lol no offense to anyone and thought to myself, what the hell how about I go with a BMX bike instead.

|

7/15/2014 9:46 PM

I've been riding 14 years , mongoose mode 900 I would trust riding if suddenly somehow my bikes vanished ... I'd say fuck it and spend maybe 500 bucks on a new bike and move on

|

7/15/2014 9:57 PM

Verde radia 499 on danscomp now, that or fit Mac is 550 is what is go with

|

7/15/2014 10:03 PM

If you buy everything secondhand, you should be able to build a good custom bike for around $550. Danscomp used to have a good deal on 21" Fit Wifi frames, which I got before they ran out. But if you check on this site, craigslist, bmxmuseum and pinkbike, you should be able to find decent parts for cheap. That's how I built up my new bike, the only parts I got new were the frame, seatpost, seat, grips, tubes, BB, and chain. If you look though, you can find every part you need secondhand and save money. It will take time searching for parts, but in the end I think you will be able to build up a much better bike, with better parts than a complete, but for a comparable price.
If you want a bike now though a lot of companies are already coming out with their 2015 models, so all the leftover 2014 bikes may get their prices slashed, so look out for that.

|

7/15/2014 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2014 12:04 AM

LLURider wrote:

If you buy everything secondhand, you should be able to build a good custom bike for around $550. Danscomp used to have a good ...more

thanks, to you and everyone for their suggestions. I think I will look around a bit and not rush anything. by the way I hear WTP bikes are kinda heavy, I don't know if it will be a problem because I used to bunny hop into a wall ride with a gt performer from the late 90s... those things used to be heavy as fuck.

By the way, whats wrong with the 2014 gt performers? When I was a kid everyone loved them, now people seemed to turn on them. It comes with a full chromo frame, fork, double walled rims.

|

7/16/2014 10:58 AM

Dk X model $599

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

7/16/2014 2:41 PM

https://www.danscomp.com/products.php?by=BASEPRICE&order=ASC&cat=BIKES&attribute=bikes&toptubelength=21

This link brings up all dans comp bikes with a 21" top tube, just click sort by price low to high and take it from there mayne. Good luck on the search!

P.s., my gt i have mixed emotions on, but its pretty effing nice for what I am doing on the bike so I can't say its a piece of crap because for $250 you cant go wrong. I heard gt went downhill for a while but are making a comeback and as far as my small opinion is worth on the subject, gt is doing alright now.

the performer looks pretty sweet for $490

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/2014/bikes/bmx/street/2014-performer-20

double wall rims, full chromo, fully sealed... 20.75" top tube but Idt that would make TOO much of a difference from 21 but then again idk. Good luck dude.

|

7/16/2014 5:30 PM

Thats what I'm saying. the new performer has some good parts, I just wish you had experience with this years so you can tell me.

|

7/16/2014 8:30 PM

The top four complete bike brands on the market right now are Fit, WTP, Kink and Subrosa.

Sunday makes really great bikes but you overpay for what your getting.

A level 2 or 3 Fit would be a solid rig, also a Kink Barrier would be solid. I've seen those models personally at work and all are built super well!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

7/16/2014 10:20 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

The top four complete bike brands on the market right now are Fit, WTP, Kink and Subrosa.

Sunday makes really great bikes ...more

So would a fit mac 3 be good? I was actually leaning towards fit but I never really heard of them until recently.

|

7/21/2014 5:56 PM

Kink makes the best completes (know from experience) and I would definitely stay away from subrosa but it's your choice man....I ride fit and wouldn't trade it for the world so if you want a fit Mac then that or a kink barrier(my friend has one and it's great)would definitely be your best choice

|

Team Hazard