What was a fun moment from your BMX career?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/18/2017 3:59 PM

So what is it? Or your favorite thing to do when you ride? We all need to get Vital back together and make it like it was back in its "Glory Days"... So, LET'S GET SOMETHING STARTED!w00t So I guess I'll startsmile So I remember one time I was at a local park with some buddies of mine... and next to the park was a wall of bushes... and one of my friends took off his socks and hid in the wall of bushes, and there was a side walk that a bunch of people were walking on and he would hide in the bushes and chase random people down the path with his socks! At the time it was funny af becasue it was such a boring day and we didn't do much beside just hang and throw some tricks and just have a chill session... but it was funny becasue the people just had the most confused faces when they like speedwalked awaygrin I know some of you might not find it funny but I'll try to remember sone other stories and what not to post later on! So, LET'S SHARE SOME F***IN' STORIES GUYS! (And yes, I'm trying to get you guys hyped lolgrin )

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/18/2017 4:51 PM

2 of my 3 in this post happened a long time ago....

1. buying my first "real" bike with my own money: have told the story before here, but in a nutshell: had my eye on a Mongoose Supergoose that was in the local bike and mower shop. Had been mowing lawns and shoveling snow for 2-3 years previous, so I had enough money. I remember, at 12 years old (1981), walking into that store, grabbing the bike ...all shiny and new, with the new bike smell, the Mongoose bar pads, a number plate, the orange, red and yellow prism stickers....a real fucking Mongoose, and walking up to the counter and plunking down the $375 (again...in '81...adjust for inflation!!), and the guy ringing it up, giving me the receipt, and a crap ton of complimentary stickers, and they took a picture of me and the bike to hang on the wall (of Polaroids) of the local kids who were regulars there. I was now on the wall of fame, with other people who had Redlines, Hutch's...and Mongoose's....

2. spending multiple days that summer launching that bike off of homemade dirt jumps and stuff in the woods near our house; and racing at the local track...never won anything, but i was also never, or rarely last. I was also the ONLY one at the track with a Supergoose, and all of the people there were always excited to see it

fast forward to about 5 years ago....

3. getting back into BMX with my step son, and hitting the skatepark for the first time in 30+ years. Watching all of the kids get air out of half and quarter pipes...something I had never done when I was young cause we didn't have skateparks back then around here. I thought: "man my fat 44 year old ass is NEVER gonna be able to do that..."but sure enough, about a year later form that point, I was able to get air out of a 3, and then a 5 foot pipe. Now I am working on fakies, 180's manuals...riding bowls (which we did do in empty swimming pools back in the day)

so, not as "epic" as many on here will probably have, but still monumental to me in my own little world!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/18/2017 5:47 PM

A big standout moment for me would be riding street in Detroit for the first time. My little posse I cruise with is from a tiny little farm town, so we don’t have a lot of street spots to ride haha. It was so cool to track down spots we had seen in edits and ride them ourselves. The Fisher Building, The Wig, Brush Park, Hart Plaza etc. Now we try to get up there a few times through the riding season. Definitely one of my all time favorite cities to ride.

|

12/18/2017 5:58 PM

Good plan for a thread!

It would have to be last year for me in December, almost an exact year ago. It was my birthday and I decided to go to the “town” side of the island to ride a park that I rarely do. My local is very street-oriented, but, as a park rider, my local gets old. The park out there had two 3/4 bowls, a spine, and much bigger quarters.

Anyways, to my surprise Matt Nordstrom was there when I showed up. I think he was just visiting. Let’s just say it was an awesome session. It was short, but awesome. It was at that moment that I gained a new appreciation for riding. To see the video tricks in real life and real time was a whole ‘nother experience even though Matt’s tricks were those I had seen in his and others’ video parts. I distinctly remember watching him do a bar-ice-bar on a down ledge and an uprail to double crankflip. I even ended up filming on his phone for a short clip.

One of the best gifts I ever received, haha!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

12/19/2017 12:20 AM

Any time I ride I have fun. I usually fall off trying something silly, and I laugh at myself. I went through a phase of getting angry, throwing my bike and stuff. But now I'm older I've realised it really doesn't matter.
I don't like riding in groups, I have more fun riding with one other person, drinking coffee and not taking it seriously. Riding is fun, and it's the main reason I ride

|

12/19/2017 2:10 AM

This summer me and my freinds had a plan to ride the 4 hour round trip to the huge skatepark in the city, we ended up doing it on the hottest day of the year (37 Celsius!) and had an absolutely great time riding, anyway we were in the city and decided not to pass up on the opportunity to ride street. Me and one of my freinds stayed back at this 3 stair wall ride thing to film a clip, when we went to catch up with them I was riding through the civic centre and they all kept pointing at at path to go the long g way round, I still ended up just going straight through and almost crashed into a dude getting sucked off in a doorway. It was very embarrassing I sure for all three of us, that was why my friends were telling me not to take that path, the worst part was when we made eye contact with the guy before I had even realised what was going on.

|

Hmmm

12/19/2017 2:49 AM

I miss the summer of 2011 right before I got into highschool I used to take my bike and just shred all over town from morning to night. Nothing at all to get in my way. Just me and my bike all day everyday. I wasn't any good back then, hell i couldn't even hop more than maybe 3-4 inches but I sure had a lot of fun sucking at tricks. Whenever I get days where I can ride all day it takes me back and I just feel that warm nostalgic feeling.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/19/2017 5:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2017 5:12 AM

GCBMX69 wrote:

I miss the summer of 2011 right before I got into highschool I used to take my bike and just shred all over town from morning ...more

You know, I started reading this thread with a lot of interest. It's always fun to hear other people's stories about their BMX experience. THEN, I read yours & it just bummed me out. Reason being, outside of quitting my job & living a vagabond life, only on a BMX bike, a summer like that is long gone for me. I remember doing the same thing back in the day. ALL SUMMER LONG was "wake up, get dressed, meet up with buddies, & ride from spot to spot jumping anything that presented itself." When we were hungry, we'd stop at a local all-you-can-eat place, get one plate, and one cup & take turns until we were kicked out. Then, we'd ride some more. Just very depressing that responsibilities ruin life.

|

12/19/2017 5:45 AM

exploring this secret abandoned underground yugoslavian military base with alex donnachie, rich forne ant few other friends when they visited croatia last summer

|

12/19/2017 9:32 AM

23 now, just getting back into it. I remember being about 12/13 and having one of those sweet chrome mongoose bikes from Walmart. Bitchin flame-tread tires and all. Anyways, my most fun memory comes from all of us friends meeting up at the local park/playground and bombing every drop we could. We would start with benches and work our way up until finally hopping off the (massive for 12yr old me) picnic tables, then returning home to re-position my bars.

|

12/19/2017 9:43 AM

GCBMX69 wrote:

I miss the summer of 2011 right before I got into highschool I used to take my bike and just shred all over town from morning ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You know, I started reading this thread with a lot of interest. It's always fun to hear other people's stories about their BMX ...more

I also miss the summer of living on the bike....If I were to guess the daily miles we put on it would have to be between 75 and 100 a day. Literally 12-14 hours of riding. Then we would end up at my friends house, who had a huge - like 25'x25' screened in patio, that we would all crash on at night. The patio had 2 dart boards and electricity, so we would plug in our boom boxes and head bang and throw darts. As soon as the sun was up, we were gone again...

funny that now I am looking froward to doing the same thing in retirement...just with less people

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/19/2017 5:09 PM

^^ Dang some of you have some pretty cool stories! Let's try to get some more stories!

|

12/19/2017 6:34 PM

When I was 14, I got my first bike. A 2002 Hoffman Prodigy Series 900, the only shop that had one couldn't mailorder. I was set on that bike and I was sad, Lol. Out of the blue the next morning my big brother said "You're missing school today, get in the car". So he drove me 250 miles to get my bike. That was the most fun thing regarding BMX.

We had a disagreement 7 years ago and we haven't seen each other since. I'm crying writing this, this isn't fun at all. Lol

|

12/19/2017 7:03 PM

Off the top of my head, I would have to say going out street riding with my younger brother and teaching/ watching him do his first big ledge drop.
It was maybe 4/5ft and he was maybe 6/7 years old. I am 18 years older than him.

There is others like my kids getting involved in riding and racing etc. Tho the event above pretty much started the snowball rolling.

The funniest moment looking back at it?

Going back years ago. When my wife and I started going together. We got into an argument when I was driving our truck.
She would not shut up she kept going on and on and on. We were still about 9 miles from home and I did not want to put up with it for another 9 miles. I had one of my bikes in the bed of the truck. I pulled over, got out, grabbed my bike and ditched her there with the truck.

|

12/19/2017 7:39 PM

jbales wrote:

When I was 14, I got my first bike. A 2002 Hoffman Prodigy Series 900, the only shop that had one couldn't mailorder. I was ...more

That really is sad... that's awesome of your brother to do that for you though... I don't know all the details obviously but is there anyway you can get in touch with him? Now would be the best time since it's around the holidays...

|

12/19/2017 7:54 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That really is sad... that's awesome of your brother to do that for you though... I don't know all the details obviously but ...more

I did something bad and ruined it. He'll never forgive me, I don't expect him to.

|

12/19/2017 8:06 PM

jbales wrote:

I did something bad and ruined it. He'll never forgive me, I don't expect him to.

I'm really sorry man... I feel really bad for the both of you... I really hope you guys can figure something out and forgive each other... this really makes me sad...

|

12/19/2017 8:54 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I'm really sorry man... I feel really bad for the both of you... I really hope you guys can figure something out and forgive ...more

I'm sorry, man. This is your fun thread, lol.

|

12/19/2017 11:00 PM

GCBMX69 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You know, I started reading this thread with a lot of interest. It's always fun to hear other people's stories about their BMX ...more

Yeah I feel you. Nowadays I get 1 day out of the week if even. Although I'm not complaining, I'm extremely grateful for the time I get. But eh, that's life. At least at this rate I can't get sick of my favorite spots.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/20/2017 7:06 AM

I gotta say that it's...all pretty fun. I enjoy riding so much, and it's actually helping my moods and overall outlook on life.

Last night I started gathering up the balls to do a no-footer air. Those moments where you have a breakthrough with a trick you've been trying for weeks are probably the most gratifying.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/20/2017 9:43 AM

1. First fully rotated flip to wheels in the foam pit-the foam was SUPER LOW and I actually rolled a little before I tipped over. So rad.

2. First whip clean to the pedals. Tried for 6 years to get a bad one to frame and pedal, then about 3-4 years later it happened after an hour of trying at a park. Then I got maybe 50 or so. Threw out my back and haven't done one in like 5 years.

3. All the awesome sessions in and right after high school at the local park, learning all kinds of things.

4. Riding Downtown Charlotte NC and being chased by a flava flav wannabe with an exit sign chained around his neck. We tried to ditch him and I thought he was gonna kill me cause my buddies turned last minute and I couldn't in time. Weaved around the area, and finally lost him after going up a bunch of stairs and down a little alleyway thing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/20/2017 3:17 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Any time I ride I have fun. I usually fall off trying something silly, and I laugh at myself. I went through a phase of ...more

Other than the coffee part laughing , I 100% relate to all of this. I don't necessarily ride alone by choice but I've grown to love it for sure.

|

12/20/2017 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 5:18 PM

I think the most enjoyable moments are the ones where you have to sit down for a minute afterwards and ask yourself, "How the f*** did I get out of that in one piece?". It's nice to be way out of your depth, that's when you learn the most about your limits and yourself. Kinda like this clip from a few years ago, trying to steeze out a 3 laughing :

A post shared by ivan rajkov (@ivanrajkov) on

Other than that, keeping with the 'way out of your depth' theme: Sometimes I'll on a whim, get on a bus or plane to somewhere I know nothing about, where I don't know anyone and with nothing but my bike, a handful of tools and some cash. That can be a lot of fun; the places you see and the people you meet are so different everywhere you go.
|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/21/2017 7:47 AM

riding the t-1 ramp and morgan wades warehouse before they shut down was pretty cool

|

It’s all bmx

12/21/2017 8:06 AM

The day I got to ride with Wilkerwhip and the OG Haro crew on Ron's 50th birthday. Photo

Ip

|

12/21/2017 8:15 AM

I have so many. In 2014 i made my first riding friends. Up until that point i had always ridden alone. So once we met eachother we would just meet up every day after school and every saturday and ride some shitty 3 stair in the neighborhood because we weren't allowed to go ride the city yet. Kinda hated it at the time but man i miss it so much. I just turned 18 and am in that "growing up" phase. Shit sucks, friends addicted to drugs, in jail, wanting to kill them selves, or just not interested in riding anymore. Bums me out so hard, but atleast we had some good times before it all went to shit. Not to say i don't have fun riding anymore, it's still my main thing in life. It's just different now. Some fun moments i've had this year include taking a week long trip to stay in WV with Will Stock (who i met from this forum in 2013), going to nashville to ride and camping next to a beautiful lake, street serries in philly, and the fbm ghetto high air in october was insane!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

12/21/2017 11:14 AM

Placing 2nd In my first bmx contest at 13 in a pig contest with a candy bar lander over a box jump

Getting invited on a road trip with some Edmonton pros back when I was 14 , got drunk for the first time on that trip , good times and lots of riding

Countless road trips and party’s with the local crews over the years

Learning 540s on quarterpipes and eventually taking them to a full size vert ramp

Learning backflips

Too many to remember been riding for 20 years now

|